A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Are there any romantic songs that aren't superficial?

Post 21

Sho - employed again!

It's a weird thing - why do you go up to complete strangers and talk to them? often it's because of a superficial reason in that you like the look of them. There was a lot of discussion on my philosophy course about how far does luck play a part in what we have (since there seems to be a correlation with how good looking you are and earning more, if I've read vague newspaper articles correctly) and looks play a part in that (as well as physical stature etc)

But anyway one post caught my attention and it was the one comparing Hot Legs by Rod Stewart and She's Got Legs by ZZ Top. In the former he's very open about what he finds attractive/sexy about the woman. And while I think it's horribly superficial, it is very truthful. Plus, there aren't that many people I know who would really hate having someone say they have nice legs.

ZZ Top is a different matter. She presumably has great legs (the video certainly showed a fantastic pair of pins) but "she knows how to use them" is a bit derogatory imo. Use them for what? walking? running? sitting around on a high bar stool, legs crossed, kicking one shoe seductively? roundhouse kicking sexist pigs?
or using them to get something from men?

it's all very odd (and don't get me wrong, I absolutely love ZZ Top)

I like the Beautiful South song that begins "I love you from the bottom of my pencil case"

Post 22

Icy North

That Beautiful South song is very clever, as many of their songs are ('she's a perfect 10 but she wears a 12').

Yes, I wasn't being entirely serious about ZZ Top earlier smiley - smiley

Post 23

Sho - employed again!

who can be serious about ZZ Top though? smiley - silly

Post 24

SashaQ - happysad

"It's a weird thing - why do you go up to complete strangers and talk to them? often it's because of a superficial reason in that you like the look of them. There was a lot of discussion on my philosophy course about how far does luck play a part in what we have (since there seems to be a correlation with how good looking you are and earning more, if I've read vague newspaper articles correctly) and looks play a part in that (as well as physical stature etc)"

That is interesting - I first "went up to" my partner when she visited a virtual bar where I "worked" (she had expected to see someone else there, but they didn't turn up) and we exchanged small talk each evening that eventually turned into flirting and deep and meaningful conversations because we liked the sound of each other's text voice! We decided to meet in person about 6 months after first talking to each other. Our physical looks *could* have made a difference to how we thought of each other after meeting, but they didn't (or rather they did in a positive way, even though neither of us fit any stereotypes of attractiveness). Luck it was indeed smiley - loveblush

Post 25

Sho - employed again!

I think that's an interesting thing about how the internet has changed a lot of things - and not only for the worse.

Post 26

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Even with the Internet, large numbers of people pass each other on the street or in shops every day. People crowd into cubicles at work, congregate in food courts or at kiosks during lunch, and trudge home form train or bus stations after work. Granted, many people travel in cars, but they have to get out eventually.

Post 27

The Groob

You might find that songs about dead people fit the bill. There's the one by Bobby Goldsboro (?)

Post 28

My favorite romantic song about a dead person is Tom Lehrer's "I hold your hand in mine"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjPhFSlhOuQ

Post 29

Sorry,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjPhFSlhOuQ

Post 30

The Masochism Tango is pretty good, too. smiley - winkeye

Post 31

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/tom-lehrer#.klz7qgwwOW

Key: Complain about this post