A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Wood fired stoves

Post 1

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

We are currently renovating a partly rather old house and have a large chimney to which we can connect multiple stoves/ovens. There is currently a small, not very good stove in the kitchen which we want to replace in the long run. It is not supposed to be used instead of our normal modern electric stove but in addition to that.

We've already been looking at quite a few models of stoves. Most unfortunately have very small baking ovens. The most interesting (but also rather expensive) model we found so far has an in built water container which can be connected with some separate device and used as a kettle for central heating.

Do any of you know any good stove manufactureres or has any other suggestions?

Wood fired stoves

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

I know such stoves are very expensive here in Ireland. Waterford Stanley would be the most respected brand.

Wood fired stoves

Post 3

bobstafford

The French use many vanities of of wood burners search French makers that may help

Wood fired stoves

Post 4

bobstafford

This site link might help Tav

http://brittany.angloinfo.com/af/398/brittany-wood-burning-stoves-and-cookers.html

Wood fired stoves

Post 5

smiley - cheers Thanks a lot for your replies.

Those really look good, Gnomon! The style is quite different from those they sell here, must say.

And thanks to you, too, bob. We'll have a look through all these sites. smiley - smiley

Wood fired stoves

Post 6

bobstafford

That is/was what this site is all about Tavsmiley - ok

Wood fired stoves

Post 7

Yelbakk

Are you looking for a Küchenhexe? German EBay Classifieds (Kleinanzeigen) starts at 75 Euros...

That said, I had one way back in the day. It was okay for boiling water, making stew or frying eggs. Baking was an impossibility...

Wood fired stoves

Post 8

smiley - cheers Thanks a lot Yelbakk, I didn't know people call it like that. We had a rather large old version of that in our holiday home when I was a kid and my mother says she made her best Schweinebraten there. So obviously not all models are bad for baking and the like. She also made cake there.

Key: Complain about this post