A Conversation for Ask h2g2

One != I

Post 21

Is mise Duncan

No no no - IMHO those "ones" are all worng as they are about you alone...however I've now twisted myself up completely and don't really know what I think on this any more smiley - winkeye

Do you use one?

Post 22

prinsesse

yeah...but more often than not we refer to ourselves in the third person plural, but then when one has spent all of one's life in West Virginia USA, one is inclined to speak using what ever little quirks he or she wants to...therefore...when we are not plural, we are one.

Do you use one?

Post 23

prinsesse

P.S. We happen to be sixteen years of age.

Do you use one?

Post 24

Cheerful Dragon

Surely you mean 'first person plural' when talking about yourselves. Third person plural is 'they'; 'we' is first person plural. (Good Lord! A grammatically correct sentence containing 'we is'!smiley - bigeyes)

Do you use one?

Post 25

Wand'rin star

LOL (We _are_ amused)

Do you use one?

Post 26

Trillian's child

Actually I think she meant third person singular - she/he/it

Removed

Post 27

Princess Smartypants

This post has been removed.

There,there.

Post 28

Wand'rin star

Hush, dear. One must not let the side down in front of the peasants.

one wonders

Post 29

Goddess of light

I use "one" occasionally. I am well under 50, and American to boot! I don't use it when I simply mean "I." I use "I" for that. smiley - tongueout I use it when I am implying that the opinion being expressed represents more than just me. I suppose I also use it when I'm being kind of snide or sarcastic. In any case, I do use it fairly frequently.

one wonders

Post 30

prinsesse

yeah, it may be firsat plural, not third plural...we are not quite sure of that, but en espaƱol, it is nosotras.

one wonders

Post 31

Demon Drawer

I use it when I am sending people up. Or if someone is sending up the fact that I have some remains of a Surrey accent. smiley - smiley

one wonders

Post 32

Phil

Yes I've used it on this here site. One just couldn't help it. I don't normally do this sort of thing you know. I don't know what came over me. I'll try not to do it again.

one wonders

Post 33

boredlaura

Personally I only tend to use "one" when being condescending. For some reason it's so much more satisfying.

The German language however, don't even get me started: everyone uses the german equivilant of one ("man") but then German is full of nuances and quirks like that.

smiley - starStay Beautifulsmiley - star

Laura

one wonders

Post 34

Beatrice

Same goes for French - where the word "on" meaning "one, 3rd person singular" is used ubiquitously to represent we, they, I,..and also in place of the English passive voice.

I knew my 9 year old daughter was getting the hang of the language when she asked recently "On peut regarder le tele?" literally "could one watch TV", but meaning "can we turn the box on?"

one wonders

Post 35

Teasswill

I never use 'one' to mean myself. But I would occasionally use it to describe a hypothetical situation, making an indirect suggestion - 'one could do so & so' (either you or I or anyone could) to be slightly less direct than 'you could do so & so' (I suggest YOU do it).

one wonders

Post 36

Saturnine

In terms of language...has it not become a recent *thing* to mix slang terms with elaborate language? My writing style is a mix between pre to mid '60s and modern day...as I believe a lot of my generation is (me being 18)...so I occasionally use *one*...but only really ironically. I wouldn't notice it if someone did use it, because extensive vocabulary doesn't indicate any kind of status anymore...just average education and moderate working intellgence.

one wonders

Post 37

Sho - employed again!

I like the German use of Mann... it depersonalises some things that could be taken as a recommendation to do something that wasn't intended as such, or as a generalisation.

I don't use "one" like that when speaking English, because I have what is described by lots of people as a "posh" accent (it isn't) and they don't take me seriously if I use "one".

one wonders

Post 38

Saturnine

I like the German language full stop. T'is crazy-fun!

Key: Complain about this post