A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Harry Potter 6 - the Spoiler thread

Post 1

Mu Beta

I'd normally post this in my journal, but Odo would kill me - she's away this weekend and doesn't want me to mention anything about the book before she's read it.

It's a whole 8 hours since I finished reading HP&tHPB and, even though I knew Dumbledore was going to die, the ending was so immaculately plotted that I'm still getting over it.

Half-blood Prince is probably my second favourite of the books (after Azkaban). Just some pluses and minuses that I've thought of:

smiley - popcornPluses

The dramatic ending is the best yet. Seeing Dumbledore quickly and ably reduced to nothing was little short of stupendous.

The scenes between Harry and Dumbledore were fascinating. I've had to go back and read them again to catch all the nuances.

Some good laugh-out loud moments. These mostly came through familiarity with the characters and JKR definitely more ironic tone.

The level of sophistication in the writing, for the fifth straight book, has been gradually, imperceptibly upped.

Not too much Hagrid or house elf. Thank heavens. The HP equivalent of Jar-jar Binks, they are.

Dumbledore's death seems to still promote the Harry Potter-Star Wars theory.

smiley - popcorn Minuses

Terribly loosely plotted. At times the story was ambling off into nowhere. This was a book without a quest, and the bare bones really showed. Plus, how come HP didn't recognise Snape's writing from the outset? He's had enough homework marked by him, surely? There seem to be asorted loose ends lying around the plot too.

The tone of the book is downright miserable in places. I want to read about the japes of Harry at school, not the great war against the Dark Side.

It's a bit disappointing that the 7th book has already been pre-plotted as compelte-the-thre-tasks-and-kill-the-bad guy. The only way Book 7 is going to impress me now is if Harry gets killed.

Too much snogging! Does JKR really think that the average 16-year-old is still a blushing virgin. OK, I know it's a kids book, but really!

B

Post 2

me[Andy]g

> Dumbledore's death seems to still promote the Harry Potter-Star Wars theory.

Yes, even killed by the right person smiley - yikes - Not sure that Snape's going to be the one to get rid of Voldemort eventually though. And he's definitely not Harry's father... smiley - erm

I liked the first chapter of the book, but it didn't seem to me to have much to do with the rest of what happened. But I am glad that Fudge was replaced smiley - smiley - even if it is by someone who seems to be slightly bizarre...

And who would have thought the HPB was someone we already knew very well? smiley - laugh

... and finally, what does R.A.B. stand for? I have a theory, that I've just thought of, but I'm not sure it means anything... smiley - smiley

Oh, I really liked it as well, not sure where it ranks out of the six, in the top three probably, but I wouldn't really like to put any of them in 6th because they're all really clever in their own way, as well as collectively. smiley - oksmiley - cool

Post 3

Mu Beta

Oh, do share your RAB theory.

B

Post 4

me[Andy]g

Well, it's a bit ridiculous to be honest, but it was encouraged by the fact that Hermione was looking for famous wizards with the initials R.A.B. - however, I think this is the wrong way to go about it. It is addressed to the "Dark Lord", which is what the Death Eaters call him (no-one else calls him that, as far as I remember anyway). So it's from a Death Eater, or maybe more than one Death Eater, but unlikely given the stuff you had to go through to get to it in the first place (that boat that Dumbledore suggested could only take one person across the lake, for example). And I only know one Death Eater who could have the initials R.A.B. - that's Sirius's brother, Regulus Black, who we know was murdered by or on the instruction of Voldemort... we were told this was because he turned away from him, well maybe destroying the Horcrux and replacing it with a fake was the way he did it. But why would he do it?

Does anyone other than the Death Eaters call Voldemort the "Dark Lord"? I guess people who agree with Voldemort's ideas but stop short of supporting him fully (for example, like Sirius said his parents did) might do as well, but I'm not sure about this - everyone seems to call him "He Who Must Not Be Named" and other such things.

Going with the Death Eater theory though, the only other thing I can think that R.A.B. could stand for was "Rodolphus and Bellatrix" - the Lestranges, but why would they behave like they have done after taking (and we presume, destroying) the Horcrux and replacing it with a fake? And the note says "I" not "We"... so it's one person. Probably.

In which case I probably have to conclude, disappointingly, that R.A.B. is someone we don't know about. Although maybe Amelia Bones had a different first name and that's why she was taken out near the start of the book. But why would she call him the Dark Lord?

Going round in circles here, but that puts across the theory, I think. smiley - smileysmiley - ok

Post 5

Lbclaire

I started reading the book yesterday afternoon and I've just finished it. I didn't really intend to read it so quickly but once I started...

Phew! Dumbledore's death was such a shock, especially as I hadn't heard any of the rumours. I kept expecting it to be a strategy on his part, and that he'd get up and be OK, but then I realised that was it and got quite sad. smiley - sadface

Bits I really liked: the revelation about whose side Snape is really on...or is it? There is still an element of doubt in my mind that he is working with Voldemort - I think Dumbledore would have sacrificed himself for the greater good. I suppose it's just hard to believe he's actually evil, as Dumbledore was so sure of him. But then again, JKR did describe the look of hatred on his face as he looked at Dumbledore...

I had thought, when Snape made the Unbreakable Vow, that this meant he was prepared to die for the side of good, as making the vow was the only way to get Bellatrix's trust and 'prove' himself to Voldemort, as if he broke the vow he would die. What better smoke screen to hide behind?

I also liked Fleur coming through when Bill got injured, and Harry and Ginny getting together as I knew they would from the first time we met her.

The bit where Harry had to make Dumbledore drink the potion was quite moving, but proved Harry's bravery and commitment to Dumbledore once and for all.

I can't think who RAB is...

Did anyone notice that when Slughorn and Hagrid are getting drunk near the end of the book (p.454) Slughorn refers to Ron as 'Rupert'? Typo? Or weird in-joke, considering that Ron is played in the films by Rupert Grint...?

smiley - smiley Lbclaire

Post 6

azahar

I also think RAB could be Sirius's brother.

And I still think Snape isn't a 'bad guy'.

Enjoyed the book very much, much more than the previous two.

az

Post 7

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Yeah, at the end of GOF we were basically given "proof" that Snape was a white hat. Now it looks like he ias deffo a bad guy.

Given that Snape is JKR absolute fave red herring there will be at least one Snape related twist.

On first reading HPB is my fave after POA.

Post 8

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Poor Snape

Perhaps hes like one of these people in the spy novels
Hes told so many different stories to different people that he has trouble remembering which side he is on

I think it would be better storytelling if he turned out to be a good guy in the end
Even HP should be wrong ocasionally

Post 9

azahar

I think he'll end up being a good guy in the end. And possibly Malfoy too. I think Snape killed Dumbledore in order to save Malfoy and that Dumbledore was also in on it.

az

Post 10

me[Andy]g

> Even HP should be wrong ocasionally

Well, he's usually (always?) been wrong about Snape in the past, so it wouldn't be particularly strange if that was the case. But if it is true, it must be the case that Malfoy needed saving for some reason to do with Harry... or maybe Snape and Dumbledore just did it to save Malfoy? The fact that no-one appeared to know whose side Snape was on in the fight kinda helps this.

Post 11

Right... I have now had a sleep and here are my thoughts.

Snape:

Obviously this is going to be the main one, HPB is essentially the "Snape" story, at least on my first reading.

Well since the series started we have been consistantly mislead by JKR in relation to Snape. Practically all of what we at first are led to think later turn out to be at the very least a bit skew wiffed. Given that Snape is JKR best and most enigmatic character I seriously doubt she would ocmpletely bust her flush in book 6 out of 7.

No, I think we are due at least one more curved ball in relation to Snape. I think JKR makes this abundantly clear in one *specific* way. We never get to here exactly what it was that Snape did that convinced Dumbledore. He never tells us, he saiid it was in relation to Harrys parents death but doesn't give us specifics.

All that talk by Lupin and Arthur Weasley and McGonegall at the end about how they assumed DD had a reason to trust Snape but obviously he didn't, combined with Snape sayin as much to Bellatrix and Narccisa at the start makes me absolutly sure that

a) There was a good reason
b) Snape was lying aobut that to Bellatrix and Narcissa
c) Harry will come to find out this reason, how he reacts to it will be crucial to the plot.

However whether Snape is a good guy or bad guy I am sure will not be revealed until right at the end of the last book, toward the climax I reckon.

I am sure that look of hate on Snapes face will become the major discussion point in the next 2-3 year interval, however I am gong to go out on a limb here and theorise.

Lets just say that Snapes smiley - erm conversion back to the Dark Side is an act. Whatever reason he gave Dumbledore is real and compelling. He is in fact a double agent really working for Dumbledore.

Now if that is the case then Dumbledore would have known even prior to the start of the book that Draco was being sent to kill him and that Snape thought that VOLDERMORT WOULD EXPECT HIM TO COMPLETE THE JOB. Now in this said theory when Snape is backed into a corner where he has to make an unbreakable vow he would also report this to Dumbledore.

"I'm sorry boss it is you or me"

Now if this situation is the case then Dumbledore has a very difficult decision to make, if Snape really is onside then after Dumbledore he surely is the most important order member next to DD because he *can get close to Voldermort*. Now given that Draco turns out to be not a total bad egg (more of that in a min) Dumbledore was undoubtably very concerned over the safety of Draco, probably giving saving him a great deal of significance.

I think it is quite possible that knowing he was likely to be possibly fatally weakened by getting the Horcruxes DD had already decided to sacrifice himself, but he just didn't actually expect it to be that night.

Now did anyone else find it very interesting to know that Lily Evans was exeptionally gifted at potions? The disclipine that Snape so clearly adores. Now I cannot imagine for even a second that Snape would have been in anyway concerned at giving James Potter a death sentance at the hands of Voldermort.... but increasingly I am beginning to wonder if the idea of letting Lily Evans get killed might have had a totally different effect on Severus.

JKR has promised we will learn at some point a lot more about "the werewolf caper" so I think that when we do it will seh a lot of new light on Snape, Wormtail and Lupin the three remaing live participants.

Now lastly on Snape he reacted badly to that "Coward" jibe by HP. Now clearly if Snape is a good guy acting on secret DD instructions to kill him for the greater good it is undoubtably a death sentance on Snape and he knows it. Even if the good guys win no one will believe him without Dumbledores testimony. However I think it is much more likely that he will have some suicide mission job to do that he needs to be close to Voldermort to achive. Pert of the conclusion to book 7 could be that Harry has to let him go and do it and die rather that Harry killing him, Nagani perhaps?

Ok next Draco, are introduction to the story has Narcissa defying the Dark Lord to tryv to save her son. The climax has him *pointedly* lowering his wand. He *wasn't* going to kill Dumbledore. He isn't all bad. Now I am willing to bet folding money that this will become a crucial plot device in the next book, for good or ill Draco is going to have a part to play.

Right Dumbledore, I am not sure why I think this but for some reason I have a sneaking suspicion that we haven't seen the last of him. Bear in mind he is symbolised by a pheonix, I think either DD or something to do with him will have a part to play. If Harry ends up on a "spirit quest" having fallen through the veil as lots of commentators have suggested then I think both Dumbledore and Sirius will be his guides.

Rufeus Scrigemour, looks to potentially be a fascinating character I really hope we get to learn more about him in book 7.

Lastly I really thought wormtail would be more significant in this book, but I am sure he will be in the last, particularly if Lupin meets a grisly end near the start and PP is the last maurader.

Right well that is all I can think of for the time being.

Post 12

me[Andy]g

> Now did anyone else find it very interesting to know that Lily Evans was exeptionally gifted at potions? The disclipine that Snape so clearly adores. Now I cannot imagine for even a second that Snape would have been in anyway concerned at giving James Potter a death sentance at the hands of Voldermort.... but increasingly I am beginning to wonder if the idea of letting Lily Evans get killed might have had a totally different effect on Severus.

Well... I like the idea, but doesn't Snape "clearly adore" (Defence Against) The Dark Arts rather than Potions?

There is also the problem of Snape calling Lily a "filthy Mudblood" (OotP when Harry goes into the Pensieve in Snape's office) ... but that's similar to what Draco says about Hermione, and it's seemingly been demonstrated that Draco is perhaps not all bad either (although letting Death Eaters into Hogwarts isn't particularly good, is it? - unless he's in on Snape's dealings as well)...

Anyway, it's probable that in order to make the killing curse backfire on Voldemort as Lily did by her sacrifice, there's some sort of magic, or more likely, a potion smiley - winkeye that she would have taken beforehand. Maybe while James was holding Voldemort up (clearly Lily and James knew about the prophecy from Dumbledore, and so they probably would have had more backup than just having a Secret Keeper...) and while he was holding Voldemort up, it gave Lily time to drink the potion / perform the necessary protecting spell before Voldemort got to her and Harry. This potion or spell must have something to do with Snape, given that he has "changed sides" and also knows how Voldemort has interpreted the prophecy. And of course he has told everything he knows to Dumbledore; therefore, Dumbledore is willing to die at the hands of Snape in order to keep him close to Voldemort, as this is probably the most sensible way of getting rid of Voldemort once and for all.

This also raises the question of whether Snape knows about the Horcruxes and whether "R.A.B." has anything to do with Snape; I can't imagine that Voldemort has told him anything, but Dumbledore possibly has.

Of course, in order to keep close to Voldemort, Snape has to be seen to be totally against Harry at school, otherwise you can be sure Voldemort would find out somehow.

All good in theory! But Snape could really just be a totally evil bad guy taking advantage of Dumbledore's trust... and it could be Malfoy who turns against Snape... but that's not so likely... smiley - oksmiley - winkeye

Post 13

Interesting.

I personally subscribe to the theory the DADA is the job SNape was ordered to take bny Voldermort (the job we now know Voldee went for himself).

If you look at both the way he speaks about potions in the other books, and lets face it the evidence of his advance potion making book then Snape clearly is in love with potions, even if he also loves dark arts.

BTW if Snape is really an irredemable bad guy then it isn't a great message by JKR I reckon. Basically that if you look bad, then you are bad, with no chance of redemption.

I still think that we are going to find out why Dumbledore trusted Snape, and probably early in 7. I expect that knowing this he will have to decide whether he goes with his gut instinct and ewverything he has ever thought about Snape, or if he trusts Dumbledore one last time...

Post 14

By "he" I mean Harry obviously.

Post 15

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Post 16

It is smiley - cool that several other hootooizens have read it.

I have been hugely dissapointed that none of my RL Potter fan pals have yet finished reading it and thus I cannot discuss it with them.

Post 17

azahar

I'm thinking that Snapes may have had a serious crush on Lily.

Also, when he took the Unbreakable Vow at the beginning of the book I got the feeling that Dumbledore knew this was going to happen, that it was even something DD and Snapes had planned together.

The most poignant part of the book for me was when Dumbledore's portrait suddenly appeared on the wall of ex-headmasters. smiley - cry

I'm also somehow convinced that Sirius didn't actually 'die' in the fifth book - he ended up just going 'elsewhere', his body was never found.

az

Post 18

Right one thing I am increasingly thinking is that Harry will not live. I am thinking that at the end of the day he will make a noble sacrifice.

I am also thinking that possible Harry himself contains the final Horcrux rather than Nagani. That is why Harry speaks Parseltongue. It might be that when Harry realises this he will choose to voluntarily "go through the veil" to take out Voldy.

I must admit though that this is basically lifted form Red-Hens "changeling hypothosis", and not my own theorising.

Post 19

azahar

I don't think Harry will die, FB. Though you may be right that he contains the final Horocrux.

I think the phoenix will be there once again to heal Harry and bring him back to life, no matter what 'showdown' ends up happening.

And perhaps Snape will be the one to finally save Harry from Voldermort?

az

Post 20

Well I am sure that Harry will pass through the veil, he might come back though.

It will be either Wormtail or Snape that in the end do something to save Harry, or mayby both of them.

Key: Complain about this post