A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What is the one thing h2g2 does well?

Post 61

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

>> Since America and Canada are great big places that fill up the entire continent all on their own, your average American doesn't get nearly as much contact or interaction with other cultures as Europeans seem to get.

And I do recall a former US President who was unable to name the Canadian Prime Minister.

HOWEVER...before we British get too smug...

Go on - no googling! smiley - evilgrin

Did I mention the time Pierre Trudeau bought me coffee?

Post 62

Malabarista - now with added pony

>>America and Canada are great big places that fill up the entire continent all on their own<<

America *is* the continent... smiley - winkeye

Another thing hootoo is good at - arguing that doesn't get taken too personally smiley - laugh

Post 63

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

D'you know? this place, well I only joined it last month and I haven't been able to get away since. I've even moved continents, but it has followed me, in a virtual kind of way.

I feel it's a bit like living in a sitcom/travelogue/reference library/doctors waiting room/surreal drama-documentary.

I'm beginning to think I'm only imagining life outside the hootoo walls...

smiley - headhurts

Post 64

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

No, "North America" is the continent, America is the only country of consequence /on/ that continent. So there. smiley - nahnah

smiley - pirate

Post 65

"America" is made up of North, Central, and South America. The country you mean is called the United States of America. So double there smiley - winkeye

Post 66

KB

If there's nothing else to argue about, this old one always serves the purpose admirably. smiley - tongueout

Post 67

Topic drift! We're excellent at topic drift. It often spawns the most interesting discussions...

Post 68

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Is that a bit like continental drift?

Post 69

It is when you're arguing about America smiley - tongueincheek

Post 70

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

smiley - groan

Post 71

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Sorry Amy.
Somebody musta forgot how sensitive Californians are about drifting continents.
smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Post 72

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

~*~"America" is made up of North, Central, and South America. The country you mean is called the United States of America. So double there.~*~

No, those are the American /Continents/, or the "Americas" in the plural. So triple there.

This is ridiculous anyway, what's wrong with shortening it? You don't call it The People's Republic of China every time, do you?

smiley - pirate

Post 73

HonestIago

>>And I do recall a former US President who was unable to name the Canadian Prime Minister.

HOWEVER...before we British get too smug...

Go on - no googling!<<

Steven Harper - for now. Minority government that is doing wonders for opposition unity. He's had to have the Queen suspend Parliament in order to avoid a no-confidence vote: the Aussies would have been demanding a republic by now if it'd happened there.

I'm not just showing off, I'm making a good point about hootoo - in the past few years I've been able to discuss the German elections with some Germans, the Australian election with a few Aussies, and the New Zealander (? - what is the demonym for New Zealand?) election with a Kiwi. That last one was particularly interesting because it got almost no coverage on our news.

Post 74

smiley - applause

It surprises one with the erudition of (some of) its contributors.

Post 75

Icy North

I've thought about this for a day or two. Apologies this isn't 'one thing' and it touches on what some others have said:

There are other messageboards and online communities out there, and some of them have as broad a scope and a similar cross-section of contributors, but the things which h2g2 has are continuity, equality and a spirit of humanistic respect for others. These allow us to interact in a constructive way that we would just not be able to if we were all in a room in real life.

There is a front to it all, a focus - the Edited Guide product, but this, although a fascinating contemporary record, is never forced. Contributing to it is worthy and satisfying for some, but those who choose not to are equally welcome. There are other ways for them to express themselves, to contribute to and get a lot out of the community. The Edited Guide benefits intangibly from this.

Editorially, I'd say that it's sensitively handled. Slightly too hands-off and remote at times, but hands-off is certainly the better approach.

Post 76

toybox

One thing h2g2 does well?

God threads.

smiley - yikes

smiley - tomatosmiley - run

Post 77

lostmonalisa

i'd say that its community and acceptance. Ben said it well.

Post 78

The H2G2 Editors

>>>Editorially, I'd say that it's sensitively handled. Slightly too hands-off and remote at times, but hands-off is certainly the better approach

Hands off? Hands off?! Right then, who wants a cuddle? smiley - hug

Seriously though, thank you for all these comments, they've been really invaluable to us in-house, yesterday and today, in meetings to discuss 'the future of h2g2'. Again. I know you've heard it all before but it appears to be looking quite positive at present. Anything concrete, we'll let you know asap.

Post 79

Any chance of trusting us and turning of the Filther again? smiley - run

Post 80

Mrs Zen

smiley - somersaultsmiley - laughsmiley - roflsmiley - laughsmiley - somersault

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more