A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The Sioux Language

Post 1

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

In the Dances With Wolves movie, there's a Sioux word that they keep translating as "medicine," but the actual english meaning of "medicine" doesn't fit the context at all. I think this is because english doesn't have a proper word to represent the Sioux meaning, so can anyone explain to me what this actually means?

smiley - pirate

The Sioux Language

Post 2

Taff Agent of kaos

maybe they are using medicine in the shamanistic meaning of the word and not in the medical sense

example, killing eagle is bad medicine.

nothing medically wrong with killing an eagle.

similar to "bad juju"

smiley - bat

The Sioux Language

Post 3

Like saying "bad mojo"? I don't think that's it. It seems more like "power", or "knowledge", or "spiritual understanding" or something like that.

smiley - pirate

The Sioux Language

Post 4

Taff Agent of kaos

yes that is what i was trying to explain with a fatigue addled brain

medicine = spiritual
not
medicine = medical

smiley - bat

The Sioux Language

Post 5

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Medicine in the spiritual sense is something like karma or magic. It can produce beneficial results (good medicine) or disasters and tragedies (bad medicine). Similar to luck but usually specific to the influence of things or actions either deliberate or incidental.

Similarly, medicine of the truly medical kind was (is) often seen as magic by those who do not understand biochemistry - which is most of us.

smiley - cheers
~jwf~
( smiley - musicalnote got my mojo working,
but it jest don't work on you smiley - musicalnote )

PS: Curiously the US/Canada border was called the Medicine Line because it gave Indians some protection from the US Cavalry's mission of genocide. See: Medicine Hat, a prairie town near that border.

From dictionary.com:
< The U.S.-Canadian boundary they called Medicine Line (first attested 1910), because it conferred a kind of magic protection...>

The Sioux Language

Post 6

anhaga

(errant pedantry alertsmiley - smiley)

'See: Medicine Hat, a prairie town near that border. '

Actually, ~jwf~, Medicine Hat got its name long before the border was ever drawn. It's a translation of the Niitsítapi word for the head-dress worn by a 'Medicine Man'.

The Sioux Language

Post 7

Like I said, See: Medicine Hat.
smiley - wizard
~jwf~

The Sioux Language

Post 8

Yes, that much was obvious from context-clues. But what does the word actually, literally translate as?

smiley - pirate

The Sioux Language

Post 9

>> ...what does the word actually, literally translate as? <<

It doesn't. Medicine is an English word from Latin.

It was simply the closest word in English that the Indians could find to communicate a metaphysical idea to narrow-minded spiritless white men.

There could have been as many as 500 equivalent words for mojo or magic or medicine in the 500 distinct languages and dialects of the North American aboriginals. Not sure what the Sioux word might have been.

peace
~jwf~

The Sioux Language

Post 10

anhaga

smiley - erm I don't suspect you can get more precise.

I found this Lakota word list, Mr.X http://members.tripod.com/~Kayitah/page2.html

'pejula - medicine'
and
'pejula wacasa - medicine man'
but
'pejula sapa - coffee/black medicine'

there's also 'tatanka pejula' which gets translated as 'buffalo medicine'

translation is rarely a precise art. Does 'pejula' mean the same thing as 'medicine'? Does it mean 'magic'? Clearly, the connotations of both magic and medicine for a European (doctors and magicians) will be different than the connotations of pajula for the Lakota (the things a pejula wacasa does).

The Sioux Language

Post 11

anhaga

simulpost ~jwf~smiley - smiley

The Sioux Language

Post 12

pejula obligato
smiley - winkeye
~jwf~

The Sioux Language

Post 13

http://www.typetees.com/product/1683/Forget_science_I_m_donating_my_body_to_magic

The Sioux Language

Post 14

anhaga

this is the one for me: http://www.typetees.com/product/1671/I_supplement_my_personality_with_witty_shirts

The Sioux Language

Post 15

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

>> ...what does the word actually, literally translate as? <<

There's a saying amongst linguists that 'If translation were possible, it wouldn't be necessary'.

Oftentimes, the best we can hope for is to get *something* of the meaning across. For example...the French word 'jaune' doesn't quite mean yellow (it also includes light tan, as in shoes); the Welsh word for 'blue' can also include both green and transparent; the Russian word for 'red' doesn't quite correspond to our red spectrum, and also implies 'beautiful'.

To ask what for an accurate translation Sioux word is bit like asking what's the English for 'entrepeneur'.

The Sioux Language

Post 16

Orcus

To add also to the comment about the 500 dialects comment.

Do we have an intact full language of the 'Sioux' indans (as if they were a 'homogeneous' race such as the Enlglish)? They were massacred so quickly that - as I've been led to understand in the past - we don't really know all that much about them.

The Sioux Language

Post 17

anhaga

smiley - erm there are a great many of what the Europeans still living and carrying on their culture and language in both the U.S. and Canada.smiley - erm

While the various groups suffered greatly through the U.S. Indian Wars, the near extermination of the bison, and the Canadian residential school system, they still proudly survive, as do the various branches of their language.

The Sioux Language

Post 18

Entry on Sioux from my favourite Languages site:
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/sioux.htm

The Sioux Language

Post 19

And while I'm at it...a link to a phrasebook with *really* useful phrases, such as 'Girls with big mazongas can't usually rhumba so well':
http://www.zompist.com/phrases.html

The Sioux Language

Post 20

anhaga

someone who might have been of help with this thread, if she were still posting: U213116

I wonder where Analiese is now.smiley - sadface

Key: Complain about this post