A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Whats going on with H2G2?

Post 1

designmonkey AKA George The Gay Hippo

I've only been a member for a few months but I seem to have noticed a change, when I first joined H2G2 seemed a friendly place where a nice blend of the mildly eccentric frequented.

Also it isn't full of 13 year olds just insulting each other!

It seems in the last couple of weeks that tempers have been getting frayed and a lot of the humour and good feeling has gone, a lot of the things (the della wars thread for example) have left me feeling a little unwelcome. Is it in my mind or has it all got a bit serious?
DM

Post 2

Belmatt Guardian of the string vest, weilder of the towel of terror

Hi Designmonkey, I am in a similiar position being relatively new I think about 6 weeks now. I think that the humour is still there and that most postings and people are generally friendly. This "Della" thread I have been following actually this morning. I think 5/6 researchers are deeply involved, and to be honest is great entertainment. However, the rest of the site is still as positive as when I started here smiley - biggrin

smiley - towel

Post 3

Woodpigeon

I'm not sure if that has been my experience - there are some very interesting discussions taking place around the site at the moment. Peer Review is very busy, the conversations at lil's are proceeding at their usual rapid pace (I don't contribute: *far* to fast for me! smiley - smiley) and life goes on with other researchers who are friendly to me. There are also a number of fascinating "lets take stock" conversations going on in Community Feedback and here in AskH2G2. If anything I would have thought that the particular "war" you are referring to is blowing itself out. It seemed to be a lot more vicious a few months back.

Post 4

Having another look round I see what you mean, most of the humour is still there and the fact that people replied to my 'ask' is testament to the inclusive nature of H2G2.
Maybe it's just me? I dunno!
DM

Post 5

KB

I think it's just that the bickering you're talking about has been running its course in a few different conversations, but now that it has its own thread, it just seems a bit more prominent.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. For the thread you're talking about, I'd advise anyone without a direct personal interest (and even those with, but I'm being pragmatic smiley - winkeye ) to just not bother with it and let it slide on by.

Post 6

Thanks King Bomba,
I'm not into debate when it becomes confrontation, is all.
DM

Post 7

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

I agree with KB that some threads can discourage people but the following quote shows we can still rise to the occasion in an adult, restrained and good mannered fashion.

Post 8

Nice one!
I'll just keep away from the ones I don't 'get' then.
smiley - biggrin
DM

Post 9

Belmatt Guardian of the string vest, weilder of the towel of terror

In fairness the thread being mentioned is very funny,
assuming your not directly involved.

smiley - towel

Post 10

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Oh, why on earth don't you all shut up and stop complaining smiley - winkeye (that was an attempt at sarcasm, for my next trip I'll attempt satire0) smiley - ermsmiley - biggrin I don't think in reality it is that, or much, differnet from what it has been, theres always as far as I can tell arguements and grudges between sets of people, like any community, most seem to ignore them, or just don't notice them (I guess it depends on how much you trawl through all the vonersation threds on the forua ) smiley - ermsmiley - boing I find that living by the simple mo motto that has stood me in good sted so far seems to keep it at arms length where it deserves to be smiley - magicsmiley - zen

Post 11

DaveBlackeye

Thanks for the quote WA, but I'm sure my punctuation was better than that smiley - erm That particular discussion was about fox hunting; a subject not normally known for rational and non-confrontational debate.

The conflict in question does get personal and downright abusive at times, and can be very off-putting if it erupts in a thread you are involved in. But I gather there is a huge amount of history behind it and the participants don't (in my experience anyway) direct their wrath at non-participants.

Post 12

Alfster

<>

It's fairly funny at times when you are involved.

I suggest people have alook at the threads on why people do keep posting to h2g2 and also what puts them off.

The thread you are talking about is a fairly serious one but it shows the lengths to which people are willing to go to try and solve their differences on the site. I can also testify that the majority of posters and the main ones on there at the moment have got the excellent senses of humour and ability to see the absurd. They also have the ability to be incredibly forth-right, probing, challenging and honest as well - which is what gets them into trouble.

There is a hell of a lot of back story and baggage in that thread so it isn't really one to get involved with too much without the required knowledge. You never know in two years time when you are still heresmiley - cheers you will be chomping at the bit on a similiar thread. Just make sure your halos do not get tarnished in the mean time.smiley - winkeye

Post 13

Woodpigeon

What's your simple motto 2legs? Just curious...

Mine tends to be "Unsubscribe early and often" smiley - biggrin

Post 14

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

If the people concerned are so intelligent then I fail to see why they need to indulge in such behaviour...smiley - erm

Incog.smiley - tea

Post 15

Alfster

<>

I now suggest you read the thread as it is explained...paraphrased- intelligent people generally do not like intolerance and do not like to leave it unchallenged. It is also accepted that it can de-rail a thread if it is continually(but correctly) challenged hence a simple, effective solution is being worked out on that thread.

Post 16

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

FYI I have read the thread..All of it and my question still stands.smiley - erm

Post 17

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

DB,

Apologies for not referencing you, I just did a quick cut and paste and h2g2 doesn't copy smileys so the smiley - cheers fell out. I'm going to beat myself up a bit for not having the manners to quote you properly.

Take that smiley - peacedove ow and that ow ow and finally that ow ow ow. Ah that's better; back to work, well hootoo.

Post 18

Bold Ferret - God of Three Sided Squares, Helium Filled Lemmings and A Slightly Bent Teaspoon

Hi Peeps,

I seem to have stumbled accross an important issue with this site. There are many threads, groups and hangers on who have interesting and funny conversations. This initially put me off the site, but I perservered and have found a group of equally silly people who I get along with, some sensible discussions to keep my brain ticking over and some complete bickering that I have avoided.

All in all, it only takes one insult to create a rift in a group. Or even one wrongly placed comment (without any malicious intent)

But please stay and find some like-minded people. They are out there smiley - biggrin

Post 19

IctoanAWEWawi

"What's your simple motto 2legs? Just curious..."
Yep, that's the one...

Post 20

Woodpigeon

smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more