A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Pies

Post 1

NPY

I've always wondered what pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie are? And are they nice?

I've never even been sure if they are main course or desert pies. I mean, sweet potato and pumpkin are things you could have with a main course, but the making into a pie could be like apple crumble or something. Any help??

Pies

Post 2

KB

I don't know about sweet potato pie - pumpkin pie is usually a desert job, but I'm sure there are non-sweet versions also.

Pies

Post 3

NPY

That's at least the impression I'd got, but never saw anything to confirm it. Or wht it looked or tasted like. Seems to be an American thing anyway.

Pies

Post 4

Malabarista - now with added pony

It's a kind of pumpkin-based sweet custard (lots of eggs) poured into a piecrust and baked.

Pies

Post 5

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I've normally seen sweet potato pie served as a dessert. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie- never have been. Sweet potato pie is lovely. I make it once or twice a year during autumn (egg/dairy free, though).

Pies

Post 6

Malabarista - now with added pony

I'll be putting a recipe for my pumpkin-polenta-potato dumplings in PR as soon as it's written up...

Pies

Post 7

NPY

Not sure if I likle the sound of a pumpkin-custard thing. Though the sweet potato one could be good.

Pies

Post 8

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I make pumpkin pie with mashed pumpkin filling, and an oat crust. Cinnamon, maple syrup. No custard though.

Pies

Post 9

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

I personally love Pumpkin Pie. I didn't like it as a child, it's an odd flavour, sweet and savoury and usually has spices in, too (nutmeg and so on). It's a sweet, but not *overly* sweet in itself.

I am trying to coalesce in my mind a sort of tart/pie/cheesecake type thing using sweetened chestnut puree and squash or pumpkin... It's just a germ of an idea, I'm sure it'll work but I'm not sure how to make it work smiley - smiley

Pies

Post 10

NPY

Trial and error?

Pies

Post 11

Kea's pie sounds nice- I'm a fan of oat crusts. I hadn't thought of it before but I think I may use oat crust when I make sweet potato pie this Thanksgiving.

Pies

Post 12

NPY

Yeah, oaty crusts can be good. Let us know how your turns ou8t.

Pies

Post 13

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Both are quite smiley - drool-worthy, and both are dessert-type pies (though a leftover cold slice, eaten barbarically hand-held, makes a good breakfast, and can be justified as good for you, since they're made of vegetables, after allsmiley - winkeye) To me, sweet potato pie tastes just like a richer version of pumpkin pie, and for years was the only way I would eat sweet potatoes.

Pies

Post 14

They taste so similar, I've no idea why I like one more than the other- it has to be that the pumpkin ones I've had have been too heavy on a specific ingredient.

I was never a big fan of either sweet potatoes or pumpkin in general until after I turned 30, when a friend turned me on to them. Same with winter squash. Oh, what I missed out on all those years.

Pies

Post 15

NPY

yeah, there's something about pumpkin and squah that just seems kinda odd and could be smiley - yuk. But I'm sure like a lot of things if it's done right. I've even heard that brussel sprouts can be good if done right. Though I'm not about to try them to find out.

Pies

Post 16

I actually just avoided squash and pumpkin all those years because my mother is a terrible cook and when she made them, she cooked all the flavor out and then mashed them up with vile things. Some people prepare them in such ways that I can't eat them even now (marshmallow or milk, for example). But in a non-custardy pie, baked, or roasted, they've divine. And they're both fab in curry.

I've always liked brussels sprouts and have no idea why they get such a bad rap.

Pies

Post 17

NPY

you've never been in the same room as an over-done sprout then??

Pies

Post 18

KB

Psychocandy, remind me to dig out John Steinbeck's passage about the attitude of some cooks towards vegetables. He was writing about Britain in the 40s, but it's still true of some people today. It explains very well why so many people can't even look at a Brussels sprout!

Pies

Post 19

A Super Furry Animal

>> but it's still true of some people today <<

Indeed. My mum likes to get the sprouts on in November, in readiness for Christmas dinner.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Pies

Post 20

NPY

that's a bit early surely?? Though it helps make them extra soggy.

Key: Complain about this post