A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Pies

Post 41

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Apparently flapjacks are supposed to be chewier than regular pancakes as well as crispier. Not sure I've noticed that difference. But for all I know the terms "flapjack" and "pancake" have been used interchangably depending on region. I don't hear the term used in my area (Chicago) that much, but more so in the south.

Pies

Post 42

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

I hate the term 'granola' cos it makes me think of something gritty. (probably just unfamiliarity, it's only a word I've come across in the last couple of years, over here)

Flapjacks should be unctuous, sticky, chewy and droolsome smiley - winkeye (and are often dipped in or topped with chocolate or have raisins and currants mixed in)

hah, dont worry about those hunger pangs, you'll be fine! smiley - smiley

Jelly is Jam! It has bits of fruit in and spreads nicely on toast, and chips are fried batons of potato! smiley - tongueincheek (crisps being very thin slices of potato fried until crisp and hard then covered in salty bad/goodness smiley - winkeye)

Pies

Post 43

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

wierd how two countries can be so separated by a common language.

minismiley - mouse

Pies

Post 44

hey, we didn't break it, they did! smiley - wah

Pies

Post 45

i mknow, have you seen their spelling? color and aluminum to name but two examples!

minismiley - mouse

Pies

Post 46

color, mom, flavor..

... smiley - weird

*smiley - rofl I'm being somewhat lighthearted here, I do know the arguments for letting other countries have their dialects... Even the USA smiley - winkeye)

Pies

Post 47

Chips/crisps wouldn't be a big problem for me, as I'm not a huge fan of either but would remember the difference. I'm actually glad someone explained to me what you mean by jelly, though, as I would be very disappointed to find I'd asked for something I can't eat.

Over here jam and jelly both refer to fruit preserves, but the textures are different. Jelly would be the more clear preserve with big chunks of fruit in it, and jam would be the preserve that has more of a pureed sort of appearance rather than big chunks of fruit.

Pies

Post 48

'jam' or 'conserve' covers the gamut, here though I expect there are connoiseurs nearby ready to tell me I'm wrong about that and give us some distinctions smiley - smiley.

Jelly is a clear, firmly set fruity wobbly thing. It originated with meat jellies (the clear, set fats you get) and has become sweet and fruity, somewhow! It's usually served as a child's dessert or in trifle... http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A898095smiley - smiley

Pies

Post 49

Similar to Jell-O and similar products here, generically called "gelatin".

Now I'm not entirely sure I have worked out just what a "trifle" is.

Pies

Post 50

trifle is a layered desert, the bottom layer being jelly with rusk fingers in, then custard and then on top cream and if you want candied peel and sprinkles. i remember helping my dad make the christmas trifle when i was about seven.

minismiley - mouse

Pies

Post 51

cake and fruit soaked in alcohol, covered with Jelly (our jelly) and left to set. Then has custard poured on top and is left to set again. Then has whipped cream on top.

It's weird.

There are variations, but I liked that recipe because it had jam in as well smiley - smiley

this one has a photo. Using Kiwi fruit, which is odd in my experience:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A663455

and this one is an easy peasy version: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A773633

Pies

Post 52

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Preserves--big chunks of fruit in, sometimes whole, in the case of berries.

Jam--smaller bits of fruit, sort of pureed.

Jelly--just the jellied juice.

Around here, flapjacks and pancakes are used interchangeably--right now, either US or UK flapjacks sound good, though I've barely time right now to go make myself a PB&J sandwich to take with me to eat during my break...

Pies

Post 53

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Oh, and trifles are the same here, though I don't come across them much.

Pies

Post 54

mmm PB&J have you ever tried "Bunnies?" Peanut butter and Honey, they taste great dipped in "Malto" or oatmeal (im an honorary american, i can call it oatmeal if i want)

minismiley - mouse

Pies

Post 55

Thanks for the trifle explanation, Robyn. Can't say I've ever seen one, so the info was helpful!

Pies

Post 56

smiley - ok

now you never have to eat one smiley - smiley

Pies

Post 57

NPY

smiley - ta for sharing the recipie, psychocandy. Sounds great. Have to give it a go.

Pies

Post 58

My pleasure! smiley - biggrin

Trifle sounds absolutely decadent- the sort of thing I'd eat if it was there but would be awfully difficult to make.

Pies

Post 59

NPY

Have to admit, trifle never grabbed me. Not a big fan of jelly or custard. So that always ruled it out.

Pies

Post 60

And I can't eat custard or what you lot call jelly, so it doesn't particularly appeal to me, either.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more