A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Hotmail query

Post 1

NPY

I went to login to my hotmail account this afternoon and it told me I'd entereed the wrong ID or password. Like you do, I tried again making sure to spell everything right. But it still wouldn't let me. I tried the "reset password" link with no joy either, and have subsequently got locked out of my account.

Any tips? I've filled in a help query thing with hotmail and am waiting for their reply. I'm the only one to use this computer as it's a private one at home and I don't go online anywhere else. Don't think anyone would/could know my password to change it either.

Please help!!! Can't think what the secret qwuestion answer is either, coz it's not what I remember having.

Hotmail query

Post 2

Elentari

Stupid question, but are you sure you didn't have the Caps Lock key on?

Hotmail query

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

It always just tells you the password is wrong, even if you've left out a letter or digit in your username. Or even if you mistype the @ and have a Q (well on a German keyboard they share the key) instead. It happens to me all the time. smiley - rolleyes
I've never been locked out of my account, though. smiley - erm

Hotmail query

Post 4

swl

This happened to me. Turned out I was accidentally trying to log into hotmail.com instead of hotmail.co.uk.

Hotmail query

Post 5

Orcus

It could also be that their system had gone up the spout temporarily.

When this sort of thing happens, I usually just try 2 or 3 times, until I'm really sure it's not me.

Then I just come back later. It's usually sorted by then.

Hotmail query

Post 6

NPY

Thanks all!

I'm thinking it might be on their end, though not sure as I was able to create a new account to get their reply to my help query. I've checked all the spellings and symbols and caps stuff loads. Thought I was going paranoid! Know how easy it is to miss a key or whatever.

It's all so odd coz I know no one would know my password or be in a position to change it.

Hotmail query

Post 7

Dea.. - call me Mrs B!

I had the same problem a few months ago and in the end had to set up a new address. They kept saying they could forward password help to my account, but as I couldn't get into the account, that was a bit useless!

I had the correct login and password, but their system just kept refusing and kept asking where I was? I set up the account about 12 years ago and have lived in several different countries since then, never mind postcodes, so couldn't quite remember exactly where I was when I set up the account!

Hotmail query

Post 8

NPY

I know exactly how you feel!! I thought it was pretty stupid of them to email new password stuff to you too since it's hard to get it whehn you can't flipping login!

Mine is one I set up years ago too. Maybe it's a glitch with older accounts? But I've been in contact with Hotmail help and provided them with a load of details which should hopefully help them to sort it all out.

Think it's hilarious though that they ask you all your bio info which is easy to remember, but the secret question/answer thing they presented me with....I can't remember it and it doesn't sound like one that I'd put either. Weird.

Hotmail query

Post 9

Rod

When (If?) you're back in favour with them, under 'Account' (bottom right on my older [Mac] version) You can enter another eMail address...

Hotmail query

Post 10

NPY

I'm back!! They got it fixed today, whatever the problem was. And I've just added that other account. Just incase. Great idea Rod.

Hotmail query

Post 11

Rod

Ta!
It happened to me a while ago & I thought 'There must be a way'

Hotmail query

Post 12

NPY

Know what you mean. I couldn't bear the idea of just leaving it and making a new account without doing something to get at all my contacts and saved emails. Too much to loose. And at least now I've got a back-up.

Hotmail query

Post 13

Rod

... and another thing:

On my Mac, I have my Virgin eMail account feeding into the 'Mail' app, which means that I have all those messages on the desk, too, & backed up with everything else. I imagine that most mail apps do the same?
I've taken a passing look at that with HotMail but not done it yet (I think they recommend logging on every month or so, anyway).

Rod

Hotmail query

Post 14

NPY

smiley - ta Maybe I'll find something like that on my pc.

Key: Complain about this post