A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Who's for cake? Poll of h2g2 opinions

Post 1

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Specifically, who is for fruit cake?

Am doing some more wedding planning and my attention is currently turned towards the wedding smiley - cake. The fiance insists that we have fruit cake as it is 'traditional' but I would argue that fruit cake is foul and far too rich to serve at the end of a 4 course meal. Besides, I argued, nobody likes fruit cake. I now need to back this up a bit so:

if you had the choice would you rather have
1) Fruit cake
2) Vanilla sponge
3) Chocolate sponge
4) Carrot cake
5) Madeira cake

Thanks for your help smiley - smiley

smiley - puffk

Post 2

U168592

Vanilla Sponge, it's a wedding not bloody Christmas smiley - winkeye
PGHF
smiley - wizard

Post 3

pdante'

I thought the whole point of Fruit Cake (in the trad wedding type )was that it was the only one hardy enough to send by post to far flung relatives,who could enjoy vicariously the thrill of the wedding guests as they all go "Ugh Fruit Cake ,and heavy icing."
Not one to cause marital dis-harmony.I'd go for the Chocolate ,or Maderia,or Banana(oh sorry you didn't mention Banana).Definately not Carrot Cake(it was a mistake to give those Rabbits a Cookery Book in the first place)smiley - biggrin
Good Luck with the Planning .I once went to a Wedding as a guest,and that was traumatic enough for my tastessmiley - smiley

Post 4

Serephina

Vanilla sponge, with a lightish icing like they use on kiddies birthday cakes smiley - smiley

Post 5

gadarene

I can't stand fruit cake either, but I am afraid it's the only way to go.........

It's the only sort you can send overseas - and I still have a chunk of mine after all those years.........

Not even bacteria and mould like heavy fruitcake it appears.

Maybe the solution to the MRSA(http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/hip/aresist/mrsa.htm)
crisis has been staring us in the face every wedding and Christmas?

smiley - biggrin

G

Post 6

smiley - laughsmiley - roflsmiley - laugh at all the answers so far - I love this place smiley - biggrin

Don't get hung up on the posting thing, we don't have far flung rellies to send cake to, so it'll be eaten on the day.

smiley - cheesecake

Post 7

pdante'

Yeah if the can't be smiley - stared to bother to go ,why should they get cake?smiley - smiley

Post 8

Heleloo - Red Dragon Incarnate

I have a friend who is getting married in 2 weeks, she is doing one layer of traditional fruit an one layer of her favourite choc mud, that will please most I think...........

For mine, I just did a huge choc cake made on the morning an decorated with silk flowers an choc mousse piping, cos I really don't like fruit cake

smiley - cheers

Post 9

FG

I'm all for the chocolate. My stepbrother got hitched two weeks ago and their cake was chocolate with orange buttercream frosting (That is, the flavor orange, not the color. The frosting was white). smiley - drool A very nice combo!

Post 10

Emee, out from under the rock

I had chocolate sponge with choco icing and strawberries on top for the 'groom's' cake and vanilla sponge with white choco icing for the 'wedding' cake. Who cares if fruitcake is a tradition? It's your wedding. Have what you like. It's a special day that you'll always remember. No sense having a cake you don't like.

Post 11

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Defo Fruit Cake.... smiley - drool

However on my diet they are way out smiley - blue...

Post 12

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

FRUIT CAKE WITH OOODLES OF BOOZE.smiley - drool

In fact,just send me the booze,I'll supply the fruit.smiley - biggrin

Post 13

Teasswill

Usually by the cake stage I reckon everyone is too full to enjoy it anyway. Perhaps it should be suitable to put in a party bag to take home?

Otherwise a light version of 1. chocolate 2. vanilla 3. fruit; don't even consider carrot or madeira (much as I like them on other occasions).

Post 14

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

I don't like any smiley - cake.

It's traditional to save a layer of the wedding cake for the christening of the first child, & fruit cake keeps for ages if it's got plenty of alcohol in it & it's de-iced, wrapped well & stored in a cool place. Then it can be saved for the first child's wedding as no one at the christening likes fruit cake, and then for the christening of the first grandchild, wedding of the first grandchild, christening of the first great-grandchild, wedding of the first great-grandchild and then hey presto..... When Romeo Beckham presents the Antiques Roadshow, the cake can make a final appearance smiley - yikes

Post 15

FG

In fact, I think I saw a fruitcake on Antiques Roadshow last night...smiley - weird

Post 16

runner

Fruit cake *rocks*! I won't hear another word said against it. Rock cake, on the other hand, does not fruit.

Post 17

Hmmm. More fruitcakes than expected on h2g2 smiley - winkeye

It isn't looking good for me, I only like two types of cake, smiley - cheesecake which isn't suitable as wedding cake (so having it for pudding) and carrot cake.smiley - cross

Post 18

Have the carrot cake! Have the carrot cake! Import the US tradition of groom's cake & pretend it's for your fiance.

I knew someone once who had a multi-layer cake and each layer was a different flavor: white sponge, spice, lemon & something else.

Post 19

FG

Mmmmmmmmmmmmsmiley - drool...something else.

smiley - winkeye

Post 20

smiley - laugh I know she had four layers but I can't remember what kind it was.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more