A Conversation for Ask h2g2

PGG

Post 1

Afgncaap5

Okay, I just heard about H2G2's main 'rival' Project Galactic Guide (PGG). I just would like to know if anyone knows exactly how much of a rivalry there is. Must not be strong since their web page has links to H2G2. BTW, please don't expel me from the Guide just for mentioning the enemy!smiley - smiley

PGG

Post 2

Pheonix

Whats the site address?

PGG

Post 3

Afgncaap5

I think it's http://www.galactic-guide.com. However, I only went there once, and I'm not sure I remember the URL. It didn't look quite as hi-tech as h2g2. I think I'll stick with this site for a while.smiley - smiley

PGG

Post 4

Baker

We'll have to do something about that...Anybody know how to get in touch with the Vogons? smiley - winkeye

PGG

Post 5

Afgncaap5

"1-800-42SHOUT"?smiley - smiley

PGG

Post 6

Global Village Idiot

I'm not completely familiar with the ins and outs, but that may actually help me to explain things a bit more clearly smiley - smiley.

PGG was first. It had no official link to Douglas Adams, but he was aware of it.

H2G2 *is* Adams' baby - fair enough, it was his idea. In it he's trying to make things more .. well, choose your own adjective from official, professional, definitive and commercial.

Some people in PGG were a bit miffed, especially those who had put in a lot of effort to that site (and a LOT of effort has gone into it). H2G2's attitude to this seems to be that it's sad, but life happens. Some others at PGG have become converted to the cause, as it were, and are now regulars here at H2G2. There's no "bad blood" as such, and certainly H2G2 has no problem with PGG or people mentioning/contributing to it (but don't submit the same article to both, as copyright issues may be involved).

The sites are not really rivals in that one is genuinely self-regulating, entirely voluntary, and "anarchic" (in the nicest possible way), while the other is blatantly centrally controlled and commercial with professional editors (while trying its best to respond to the wishes of its voluntary contributors within that framework and provide a community atmosphere).

PGG

Post 7

Afgncaap5

Okay, that clears a few things up. Thanks.smiley - smileysmiley - fish

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more