A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Yellow and alone

Post 1

Kjell-Morten

Six years ago, I sat on a bus. Then suddenly somebody popped a question that has been the great uh? in my life ever since. Wherever I go, this question follows me unanswered, and of all the people I have met so far in my life, no-one have been able to help me find the secret behind this mysterious assembly of words.

Actually, the quistion was not for me, I just overheared a conversation on this bus. A guy wanted to test the cleverness of his friend, and uthered these words, which is the question for you today, my dear h2g2-friends: "What's yellow when it's alone?"

The friend failed terribly by answering: "The sun???", and then the two guys disappeared. Can anybody help me? Anybody at all? I hope so, 'cause I can bear being unknowing for another six years...

Yellow and alone

Post 2

Luna(Queen of Hearts)

I read your question and immediately thought--green without blue.

Hey,at least I gave it a shot!

Yellow and alone

Post 3

DelphicOracle

A coward? Though some cowards are yeller even when they're with other folks (cf Scooby and Shaggy)...

Yellow and alone

Post 4

Kjell-Morten

Good answer... I can live with that. But I don't think that's what the guy on the bus had in mind. Any other suggestions?

Yellow and alone

Post 5

Superkath

This is an important question. Ireally hope you get an answer to it soon. K

Yellow and alone

Post 6

Potholer

Just checking (in case it's a language-specific puzzle) The original question _was_ in English, wasn't it?

Yellow and alone

Post 7

Superkath

I choose to help Kjell to answer the last question.
Well, the original question was in Norwegian, accually.
(Hva er det som er gult når det er alene?)

Yellow and alone

Post 8

Potholer

Ahhh... I think that rather reduces my chances of answering if it's based on synonyms, etc. or local general knowledge.
However, even assuming it _is_ a puzzle that can withstand translation, I admit I havent thought of anything yet - my best guess so far (though not particularly funny) is 'a bully or a fascist', but that does sound rather lame.

Yellow and alone

Post 9

Baconlefeets

smiley - headhurtsMy eyes are scarrd forever!!!! Why did i search for an old thread!?!!! I need to know the answer so that my life will not be a constant search for something on its own with a yellow coloursmiley - headhurts

Yellow and alone

Post 10

dasilva

See what trouble it's gotten you into, FB?

smiley - biggrin

Yellow and alone

Post 11

McKay The Disorganised

I think its a fish.

Possibly a Siamese Fighting Fish.

I'm sure there is some fish that is plain yellow, until another of its species is introduced, when it starts to form a colourful display.

smiley - cider

Yellow and alone

Post 12

Baconlefeets

I know Silva, I promise not to do it ever again!

or at least never again until i get bored of current ask questionssmiley - biggrin

Yellow and alone

Post 13

The Groob

I think the answer is yellow. When yellow is alone or in company it's still yellow.

Do we infer the question is really

"what is yellow ONLY when it is alone" ?

Yellow and alone

Post 14

Baconlefeets

I think you could be right, it might be a trick question...

Yellow and alone

Post 15

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

It might be a trick question, or it might be a lemon.

smiley - biggrinsmiley - run

Yellow and alone

Post 16

Baconlefeets

nah, it's a tomato fruit!

Yellow and alone

Post 17

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

smiley - tomato

You did ask for that smiley - smiley

Yellow and alone

Post 18

Baconlefeets

smiley - yuk

Yellow and alone

Post 19

smiley - whistlesmiley - space *studies fingernails with concentration trying not to laugh*

Yellow and alone

Post 20

Syren

Maybe it's one of those philosophy questions, like the tree falling. If this thing is alone how do you know it's yellow?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more