A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What scares you, and why?

Post 1

The Boogeyman

I've been wondering, what are people most afraid of? falling, roaches, deathm or is it something else? afaid to talk to that guy up the street with the lazy eye, afraid to buy tomatos on sunday, whatever it is, post and tell us what scares you and why you'r afraid of it!

Post 2

blaue Augen

I cannot say what scares me the most because that would take too long to think about. But what comes to mind first is ... in the summer, when the moths are migrating from the mountains to the plains and they pass through my neighborhood and my house! I am afraid of one flying into my ear and getting stuck. It happened to someone I know. For about 3 weeks, there are at least 50 of them squishing themselves into the cracks around my doors. I know, they don't sting or bite or even eat as adults (at least this type), but I can't stand them.

ICK!

Thread Moved

Post 3

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community' to 'Ask the h2g2 Community'.

Post 4

The Boogeyman

Bugs, very nasty! i'm personally scared of anything small and fast-moveing. I don't mean just anything, but if, say, a large spider were to scramble across my feet in the dark, it would scare me more then any psyco-killer. I think it's because i'm a pretty tall guy, but i'm slow moveing, at least that's what i think :P

Post 5

Captain Kebab

Heights. I'm okay with tall buildings, but ladders are a no-no. Not too keen on really long flights of stairs either.

Post 6

rangerjustice (formerly warrior ranger)

I'm seriously claustrophobic. Stick me in a small space, especially if it is crowded with people, and I'll have a panic attack. Cold sweat, difficulty breathing, the works.

Don't know why. My mom was claustrophobic too, but who can tell whether it's genetic or environmental? I'm guessing a bit of both.

Post 7

kC - You know I'm Right.

Nothing scares me.

Post 8

creachy

dying alone!smiley - yikes

Post 9

Wejut - Sage of Slightly Odd Occurrences and Owlatron's Australian Thundercat

SLUGS - yes homeless snails scare the bejesus out of me, which is a problem because I don't have many left.
I know that if I get close to them they will leap at my throat and kill me.
Yes, I know this will NEVER happen, it has never happened and is physically impossible. But one never knows.
smiley - magic

Post 10

Lady in a tree

My only real phobia is thunder and lightning. I was traumatised by a bad storm when I was very ickle (I don't remember it) and I am truly petrified of it to this day. I wish I weren't but there you go.

There are loads of things that scare me but the worst thing is Daddy Long Legs! They a are sooooooo big and spindly - they just dangle around and contribute nothing to this world and they make me scream and run away *shudder*smiley - blush

Post 11

boredlaura

Michael Flatley - Lord of the Dance

Post 12

Wulfric

Flying - not the thought of crashing or anything like that. It's the actual movement of the plane, it makes me feel ill. And the take off itself I'm none to keen on - that sudden rush forward smiley - ill. It scares the willies out of me. Landings okay though.

Post 13

Cheerful Dragon

Two things - hypodermic needles and falling.

I don't know why hypos scare me. I had all my jabs as a child without any problems. I even gave blood for a while. Then suddenly in my mid-20s, I became terrified of them. I had to give up giving blood because the needles looked like hollow knitting-needles. When I had to have an injection, the needle looked about a foot long. I can't even watch people being given injections on TV / in films. smiley - sadface

Heights don't scare me, as such, it's the thought of falling. I'm not happy up ladders - even step-stools can be a bit much if the steps aren't very deep and there's nothing to grab hold of. I'm OK as long as I can convince myself that there's no danger that I'll fall. I could stand at the top of the Empire State Building and look down without any problems. But put me a few feet up with nothing to hold on to and I'll freeze.

Post 14

Lady in a tree

I think it's the nothing to hold on to thing isn't it - I find it difficult going up or down the centre of very wide staircases - I migrate towards the edge even if it is just a wall with no handrail.

Post 15

Cheerful Dragon

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I've never liked staircases with gaps between the treads, either. When I was younger I was convinced that my foot would slip and get stuck between the treads and I'd break my leg.

Sometimes there's no rational reason for my fear. I once took a walk along a pier with small gaps between the planks. I wouldn't have even been able to get my toe caught, but I wasn't happy - even walking down the middle, well away from any drop. It wasn't the height or the drop in that case, just irrational fear that I still can't explain.

Post 16

Genie

My biggest fear is to die by drowning, I have had many dreams about this and the thought of my final breath sucking water into my lungs terrifies me.

I'm a strong swimmer and I have no fear of water, just drowning..

I sound really odd now don't I?

Post 17

PQ

I'm scared of losing control and I'm scared of having too muchsmiley - weird

I'm scared of losing hubby, but I also know it's more or less inevitable and that I *will* cope with it when it happenssmiley - erm

I'm scared of sharp things near my eyes and insects near my mouth/ears/nose

I'm scared of falling (although when I actually fell down the steps into our garden a few weeks back hubby was more scared than mesmiley - silly)

I'm scared of my teeth rotting and falling out but I'm even more scared of the dentist

I'm scared of phoning up strangers

Post 18

Genie

I'm also scared of the Umpa Loompa's from Charlie & The Chocolate factory......I had nightmares about them for years..

Post 19

milo

I've recently developed a fear of talking to strangers on the phone. i get flustered and start blushing. which is absurd.

Post 20

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Clowns! Because... well who isn't?!

Key: Complain about this post