A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Who?

Post 1

Slug

Who writes email jokes? I mean, who actually sits down and types out the jokes that inevitably get forwarded to everyone on the planet? Is it just one guy? And why?

Post 2

Anonymouse

It gives the Xerox machines a rest. smiley - winkeye

Post 3

Bald Bloke

No rest for the Xerox scanner though

Post 4

Anonymouse

That is if you have a good OCR program... Of course, from the looks of some I've received... That doesn't always matter much. smiley - winkeye

Post 5

Red

I think email jokes are about the only thing that can travel faster than light. I once recieved the same email joke from two people, one in Australia, and one in scotland, who would have no concievable way of knowing each other, not a single common email address in the huge lists of people that always seem to get left at the beginning (and are exceedingly annoying), at exactly the same time (well, same minute at any rate, according to MS Outlook-pile-of-****).
Einstein would be rolling in his grave!

Post 6

Anonymouse

Not really surprising. I've probably got a dozen copies of some of the more popular ones archived in my overly large mail directory, "just in case" and because they came from 'a friend'... *sigh*

(And also because the thing has just grown beyond hope of ever cleaning out. smiley - sadface)

Post 7

Red

Just take a deep breath and press delete. I am leaving my job today, and have just done that very thing! It was traumatic, but I now feel clean and revitalised!

Post 8

Anonymouse

arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh! You poor thing!! Alas, if it but were that simple.

Post 9

Red

Why can't it be that simple?

JUST DO IT!

Post 10

It's still me, no matter what they say...

Why DON't people clear out all the lists of addresses that appear at the beginning of email chain mails. I get some that are longer than the Bible..

..ish.

Post 11

Slug

As well as being longer than the Bible, some of those jokes are as old as the Bible. Read right to the top of the email chains and you're bound to find "[email protected]".

(Did I just make a "dotcom" joke? I promised never to do that. Damn.)

Post 12

Anonymouse

There's just too much at stake. smiley - erm

Post 13

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Have you ever told anyone to go to hell.com? If not, then you're not as bad as me and my friends.

Post 14

Anonymouse

http://majik.nexix.net/Katmando/katmando/katindex.html

Post 15

Slug

I feel so much better by not understanding all of that.

Post 16

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Same here... The site actually exists, but what the relevance of it is to this discussion? Beats me!

Post 17

Anonymouse

The bits toward the bottom about 'you might be an addict if' were relevant to the posting it replied to. smiley - winkeye

(Just so you can rest easy.)

Post 18

Foxy Queen

HELP ME! Im lost. Im new today and i dont know what to do!

Post 19

Just Some Bloke

I'm sorry - it's sitting there - somebody has to say it:

DON'T PANIC!

Post 20

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Just browse around a bit. Meet people. Read stuff. You'll get into the swing of things.smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post