A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Bomb Iraq...

Post 1

Bambi - Keeper of Crystals and Royal Heart Royal (The Stag of Balwyniti)

...with food parcels and propaganda!

This is probably the best way to get the people on our side and stop them from thinking the west is out to get them.

Bambi smiley - reindeer

Bomb Iraq...

Post 2

Researcher 177704

As we've seen from the 'war' in Afghanistan, dropping food parcels offered no real help to the majority of the Afghan population. The Taliban and Osama bin Laden didn't take any notice of this token effort of 'aid', and in the end the whole thing appears to have turned out to propaganda aimed more at the American/British peoples than Afghanistan.

I think it would be much better if we didn't create these hideous problems in the first place smiley - smiley

smiley - rocket

Bomb Iraq...

Post 3

I agree with your last point entirely. But I do feel if we HAVE to throw something at these people, food and propaganda are better than bombs and bullets. And if you send enough, the message MIGHT get through. The thing is we are quite happy to spend a lot of money on warfare, but people will cluck about the cost of food parcels, and so do a half-hearted job.

Bambi smiley - reindeer

Bomb Iraq...

Post 4

Researcher 177704

It would be a lot easier to relax some of the rather strict that sanctions that are currently imposed on Iraq, though.

I agree with your point that people "are quite happy to spend a lot of money on warfare, but people will cluck about the cost of food parcels." The sad thing is that this opinion extends to just about all forms of aid, whether it's being used as tool of diplomacy or simply because the western nations owe the poorer countries aid. Apparently slaughter and killing, which creates even more enemies, is value for money.

I'm not sure about the use of propaganda issue. Again, if we'd been a bit nicer to Iraq, then the government and media would be creating their own 'favourable' propaganda, which is surely much more desirable than the aged technique of leafletting.

smiley - rocket

Bomb Iraq...

Post 5

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

The Iraqi media would be crowing that President Hussein finally persevered and the United States has given in.

Bomb Iraq...

Post 6

...where as, at the moment we are about to give in and start the war which will prove to his people just how nasty we really are!

smiley - reindeer

Bomb Iraq...

Post 7

Orcus

as I recall, afterm the Gulf war we encouraged the Kurds and Shi'ites to rebel against Sadam Hussein and then totally abandoned them to their fate, giving no aid whatsoever. Do you really think dropping a bunch of leaflets is going to overcome the lack of trust these people must now have in us?

Bomb Iraq...

Post 8

Sad isn't it? Possibly even shameful. I think it *might* and since it does no harm to any and at least gives us a chance to to the Iraqi people OUR side, I think it could be worth doing. Accompanied with food and medicines, at least it is a humanitarian approach.

Bambi smiley - reindeer

Bomb Iraq...

Post 9

Mister Matty

"...with food parcels and propaganda!"

That would be a great idea except that the Iraqi's are in no position to start an uprising against Saddam Hussein. You could maybe try using some of that pin-prick bombing technology to deliver some of the propaganda and some luxury western food to the barracks occupied by the Republican Guard. I think they could show Saddam the door.

Of course, pin-prick technology being what it is, an Iraqi school would probably find itself innundated with crates of Belgian chocolates and coca-cola and leaflets starting "To our Brothers in the Iraqi Republican Guard....."

Bomb Iraq...

Post 10

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

The Republican Guard might, but they are very well treated. I doubt they would.

Key: Complain about this post