A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Train Strikes

Post 1

Bambi - Keeper of Crystals and Royal Heart Royal (The Stag of Balwyniti)

Does anyone know if there are any train/bus strikes in the North-East of England in the next week - I thought there was one on Thursday 18th, but I can't find any info about it...

Cheers, Bambi smiley - biggrin

Train Strikes

Post 2

Captain Kebab

Arriva Trains Northern (who provide local services in the North East) conductors are in dispute and likely to remain so. The next one is due Thursday 25 July, so the coming week should be ok. They are still able to run a reduced service.

Here's the address for ATN's special notices - you can get on their mailing list there if you use them a lot.

http://www.northern-spirit.co.uk/notices/notices.htm

Train Strikes

Post 3

Captain Kebab

I should have said that they are able to provide a reduced service when their conductors are on strike.

Train Strikes

Post 4

Zak T Duck

The strike on the 18th appears to be the London Underground smiley - yikes should be fun

Train Strikes

Post 5

Captain Kebab

There's quite a bit of unrest in the rail industry in general at the moment. It doesn't help that there are big differences between pay and conditions in the same job for the different train operating companies; nor that some rail workers (specifically drivers) have managed to secure much better deals for themselves than other rail workers.

Nothing to do with train operating companies letting too many drivers go at the beginning of their franchises whilst cutting down on recruitment and training to try and cut costs, then finding themselves with driver shortages and having to make generous settlements to recruit and keep them. Oh no. Market forces - aren't they just wonderful? It's amazing how they somehow know what's best for the country and ensure that it all comes to pass. smiley - grr

Train Strikes

Post 6

Bambi - Keeper of Crystals and Royal Heart Royal (The Stag of Balwyniti)

CK/Croz,

Thanks for that! I asked on behalf of a friend and we found the web generally full of advertising type comments that were little help.

As for the reasons for the dispute, I think they probably do have a point. After Margaret Thatcher silenced the miners, the unions kinda went silent for a bit, now they seem to be finding their voices again which is on the a good thing (I think). However, it's a fine line between standing up for yourself and being greedy, and the tendancey is for people who see one lot of people doing better to think "I'll have some of that, thank-you!!" I don't know, I guess there is never any black or white and as I get older I just seem to see more of both sides smiley - winkeye

Bambi

Key: Complain about this post