A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What should my mate sing??

Post 1

It's all too much.....

My friend has got it into his head, that serenading his new ladyfriend is the best way to develop the relationship, but what should he sing?

smiley - whistle

Post 2

aonemantidalwave

(jokingly) Legend of Xanadu by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beeky, Mick and Titch.
(seriously) Higher and Higher by the Late Great Jackie Wilson.

...she must be a lucky girl!

Post 3

aonemantidalwave

...or on a more medieval tip, get him to dust his lute off and serenade her with the ol'minstrel favourite "Greensleeves".

Post 4

Researcher 177704

'Rocket Man' by Elton John?

smiley - rocket

Post 5

Philbert

Is he a cockney?

If so, try "A Mother's Lament" (Trad.) recorded by Cream on Disraeli Gears. It might not get him the girl, but it'll get a good laugh. Most people like humour.

For a pure serenade, it really depends on what music SHE likes. If she is an enlightened rock fan I don't think that you can beat "Thank You" (Led Zeppelin) or "Onward" (Yes).

Hope he wins the fair maid! smiley - smiley

Post 6

aonemantidalwave

...or Crocodile Rock by Elton? (only kidding)

Elton isn't a bad choice mind. In his heyday he wrote some alright romantic tuneage. Your Song or Tiny Dancer.

He's s*** since he got off the drugs tho.

Post 7

It's all too much.....

Well if you're gonna be like that:

It's all too much, by the Beatles!

Maybe he was after something a little more romantic??

Post 8

It's all too much.....

I might suggest a medley of the lot. I'm particularly looking forward to the bit when Greensleeves morphs into Rocket man.

smiley - winkeye

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

How about "You're a lady, I'm a man" by Peter Skellern?

Post 10

You can call me TC

Something she likes.

Post 11

Orcus

Isn't he more likely to get arrested? Sounds a bit of a smiley - weird thing to do to me really.

I mean, can he actually sing?

Post 12

the autist formerly known as flinch

A mate of mine tried doing this...

Having inbibed a few ales Dan climbed up to Bea's window ledge and started to sing in order to win a bed for the night rather than have to walk home to the village he lived in, but before his dulcet tones could ilicet a response he slipped, fell and broke the living room window with his foot. Lights went on in the house, and Rob - his partner in crime - called the age old retreat cry "scarper - it's her old dear", Rob had to kick Dan several times to make him realise the urgency with which he should get off the floor and not flounder around like the drunken oaf he so obviously was. Bea had by now opened her window and was throwing bottles at the two stooges down below, while her mum's siloette could be seen brandishing something heavy behind the frosted glass of the front door - the two scarpered. They turned up at another mate's flat, and crashed on the armchairs in his bedroom. The following morning the residents of this unholy pit were awoken by Dan's cries. Dan was laying on the floor, in some pain and felt incredibly stiff, but his cries were due not to the discomfort, but because he couldn't move across the room to the place behind the chair where he'd hidden two tinnies of Kestrel B*****d Strength the night before. Realising that this level of incapacity wasn't right, even for a severe hangover, the lads loaded Dan into a shopping trolly and pushed him to hospital, (much to his chagrin, sharing his bevvy on the way). Dan had broken his back the night before in the fall, helped in no measure by the kickings, bottle throwing, flight and a night slumped in a chair.

So be warned.

Post 13

Orcus

smiley - laugh

Post 14

Nyree Rose - Doll in a Tube wearing National Costume

Close to you by Whatsherface Carpenter. Its lovely.

Ae fond kiss by Robert Burns. Its lovely too.....smiley - wah

Post 15

Nyree Rose - Doll in a Tube wearing National Costume

Close to you by Whatsherface Carpenter. Its lovely.

Ae fond kiss by Robert Burns. Its lovely too.....smiley - wah

(Actually I think Ae fond kiss is about breaking up...so maybe not then!)

Post 16

Pan, the piper at the gates of dawn

And Your Bird Can Sing - Beatles
or
Closer - Nine Inch Nails (how much more romantic can you possibly get?)

Key: Complain about this post