A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Train spotting

Post 1

Ink

For a swede that is very exotic.There was some film on TV,but i'm still don't have a clue what's it all about.How can that be interesting?For me it seems quite dull.I havn't tried it yet,maybe i should?

Train spotting

Post 2

Rickshaw Splat

What? Train Spotting or Heroin?

Train spotting

Post 3

Ink

Have you tried some contact-spray on your circuits?

Train spotting

Post 4

Rickshaw Splat

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the film 'trainspotting' which is about heroin addiction. As for real train spotting I have got no idea what it is all about, but unless you are a terribly sad individual with no friends then I wouldn't try it if I were you.

Train spotting

Post 5

Ink

It was a stupid question in the first place,and it seemed rude which i didn't ment it to be.My own opinion i could have kept for myself,i guess i have to learn how to ask properly.I've noticed that is a very
sensitive and delicate task on the Internet.
I was thinking of a film about someone standing at a station watching
trains with binoculars and checking time tables and it seemed to be a popular activity.The other film i havn't seen.

Train spotting

Post 6

Rickshaw Splat

No problem. I agree with you - I really do fail to understand what train spotters get from their activity. What can possibly be interesting about collecting the numbers of trains. Perhaps there is a train spotter somewhere in h2g2 who can enlighten us, but I doubt it.

Train spotting

Post 7

zb

What could possibly be interesting about spending lots of spare time on the internet posting messages about nothing of any value with people you've never met? Hmm. Discuss.

Train spotting is an adiction. Rather like Heroin I suppose (I don't have 1st hand knowledge of the latter pastime). Once you're hooked you can't wait until your next fix. You'll do anything, like get up at 4am to get a train to Penzance just to get the next one back again.

Perhaps I need to write up an article on the subject to explain the subtle nuances.

But, yes, I'd agree. Like an awful lot of hobbies it is completely pointless - except to provide amusement to the person doing it.

Train spotting

Post 8

Sorcerer

"What could possibly be interesting about spending lots of spare time on the internet posting messages about nothing of any value with people you've never met?"
Reading the comments

Train spotting

Post 9

zb

That was, of course, a tongue-firmly-in-cheek rhetorical question.
One of my favourite pastimes now I've given up trainspotting, and haven't yet resorted to heroin.

Train spotting

Post 10

Ink

I did a search and found nothing . And i'm still interested so please write an article.

Train spotting

Post 11

Bob Told Me To Do It

Yes, it is dull. You get a book with all the train numbers on them, and then you mark them as you see them. If you're serious you note the time and place. If you're scary you take a photo. Beyond this you see a lot of them these days with video cameras.

It's just filling the time before you die, "why, what else do you do?". Just in a way most people find disturbing and worthy of mockery. Ultimately its just trying to impose order in your life, in a small way.

Train spotting

Post 12

a visitor to planet earth

Are there really any train spotters left?

Train spotting

Post 13

Bellman

Not after that advert with the train spotter shouting "There's one!", and "There's another!", and "And another one!". I remember a Black Country accent so it was Noddy Holder or Lenny Henry.

Key: Complain about this post