A Conversation for Ask h2g2

the colours on a Win 98 computer are wrong

Post 1

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I'm visiting my granddad, who I don't see very often. (Living in a different country doesn't help!) The last time my dad was here he did something which changed the colours and removed the desktop wallpaper. He had to catch his plane home later that day so didn't get time to fix it. Since then, granddad has been coping with a very grainy looking monitor. He knows very little about computers. And I'm hardly a guru smiley - zen myself: I can use the things, but don't ask me to fix 'em!

So, when I got here, I turned on the computer and did the obvious thing: I right-clicked on the desktop and selected "Properties" from the drop-down menu which appeared. (This menu is also accessible from the Control Panel.) Under the "Background" tab I restored the wallpaper. (What weirdo decided to put wallpaper on a desktop, anyway?) And under "Settings" I changed the colour from "16 Colors" to "High Color (16 bit)". I was asked to restart the computer and did so. It was still grainy. And when I checked the properties the colour setting was back to "16 Colors". I tried again, this time selecting "256 Colors". The same thing happenned. Any suggestions?

TRiG.smiley - headhurts

Post 2

A Super Furry Animal

Is there an option for True Colour (24 bit)? If so, try that...

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 3

Zak T Duck

Reinstall your graphics card drivers

Post 4

Are you sure that'll help? I don't want to do anything disasterous that he'll heve to live with after I've gone home.

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Post 5

Zak T Duck

The problem certainly sounds like it. You probably know what the model of graphics card it is using, if you go into the device manager I'm fairly certain you'll find that it's either showing up as not working correctly, or just showing up as VGA Device. In the former case a reinstall of the driver should fix it. In the latter case, you'll be able to tell it to search for a better driver.

Post 6

And is it just me (or, rather, the graphics on my granddad's computer) or has the smiley - applause smiley changed? It looks hollow and green, instead of solid and pink.

TRiG.

Post 7

Thanks Croz. I'll try that and see what happens.

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Post 8

the_evil_tree

something similar happened to me once but then it was that a couple of the pins in the plug from the monitor got bent somehow and all the colours got mixed up...

good luck
bye

Post 9

Hi.

Control Panel > System

opens a window called System Properties.

Under the tab Devices we have a list, headed by Computer, to which all other items are subservient.

So,
Computer > Display adapters > Intel(R) 810e Chipset Graphics Driver (DC133 FSB133) 4.11.01.2555

This is the only item listed under display adapters.
Under Properties, it claims to be working properly.

I don't really know what I'm doing, and can't find a disc from which to reinstall the driver. There is a backup disc, but it seems that it works only to restore the entire computer to its original settings, losing all data, which sounds a bit drastic to me!

There are things you can download which will scan your drivers for free and fix everything. Shoud I trust any of them?

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

Sounds to me as if the lead from the computer to the monitor has got loose. Fiddle around with it.

Post 11

taliesin

Gnomon's suggestion may be correct.

Before fiddling about, unplug the computer. Voltage spikes can damage the monitor/graphics system. smiley - yikes

From the sound of it, the computer is using a built-in graphics display rather than a plug in card. You might consider buying an inexpensive graphics card to replace the built in one. Both nvidia and ati are good choices, and the lower-end ones are remarkably cheap.

"There is a backup disc, but it seems that it works only to restore the entire computer to its original settings, losing all data, which sounds a bit drastic to me!"
Ah, windows. Ya gotta love it! smiley - erm

Once you get the thing working correctly, you may want to get a backup system of some kind: http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml
Of course, M$ negelected to provide anything even remotely resembling a backup system..

For the intel chipset graphics driver, if you need it, try here: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=798

Post 12

taliesin

Re-reading your original post..
When you check the display settings in the control panel, where is the slider for desktop resolution set? If it's set too high, and the monitor is an older one, the system will change colour depth in order to save the monitor.

For example, if the resolution is set to 1024 X 768, at 24bpp, and the monitor is only capable of 800 X 600 at that colour depth, the system will adjust the colour depth back to 16 colour.

Try setting the resolution lower, with a 24bpp colour depth.

Post 13

Under Dsplay Properties > Settings there are two things I can change. One is Colors, with the options 16 Colors, 256 Colors, or High Color (16 bit). The other is a slider labelled Screen area, with the options 640 by 480 pixels, 720 by 480 pixels, 720 by 576 pixels, 800 by 600 pixels, and 1024 by 768 pixels.

If I change either of these I am asked to restart the computer. When I do, they have changed back to what they're on now: 16 Colors, 640 by 480 pixels: the lowest in each case.

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Post 14

smiley - biggrinI'll try fiddling with the lead when I've got the computer off. Just give me a moment ...

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

If the computer is set to 640x480 in 16 colours, then that explains the graininess of the screen and probably also the way the colours look odd. So it is probably nothing to do with the lead.

If you can't change the size of the screen or the number of colours, it does suggest that Croz is right (isn't he always?) and that the display drivers need to be re-installed. If you're really stuck, I can give you a graphics adapter card and the CD that comes with it, with drivers. That's probably do. You're based in Ireland, aren't you? It shouldn't cost too much to ship it to you, and if you're around Dublin you can collect it.

Post 16

taliesin

Sounds like Croz is bang on --

Check this Intel support page for driver install instructions --

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel815/sb/CS-009151.htm

Gnomon smiley - coolsmiley - ok

Post 17

I'm in England at the moment, though. This is my grandad's computer, as I said. And I'm leaving tomorrow morning, early. May be back here in the summer, perhaps.

I've left a link to this conversation on the computer, so when someone else comes in to fix it (preferably someone who knows what he's doing!), he'll have some suggestions.

Thanks guys!

TRiG.smiley - cool

Post 18

Zak T Duck

smiley - blush

Post 19

A Super Furry Animal

>> If I change either of these I am asked to restart the computer. When I do, they have changed back to what they're on now: 16 Colors, 640 by 480 pixels: the lowest in each case. <<

This may be obvious, but are you clicking "Apply" before you hit OK and restart the PC?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 20

I tho9nk I was. But I'm back home now, so I can't check. But I'm pretty sure I was. really I am, sir!

TRiG.smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post