A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Tea and Onion

Post 1

Mr. Sloth

Why does unsweetened tea taste sweet when taken after chewing on raw onion?
See "Tea" forum for other discussion.

Tea and Onion

Post 2

Paul the Brake

Probably for the same reason as sweetend tea doesn't taste as if it's been sweetend when you have just eaten a jam donutsmiley - smiley

Tea and Onion

Post 3

StevenR

The sour or bitter taste of the onion makes the tastebuds used to that taste and treat it as normal. Therefore, unsweetened tea tastes sweet in comparision. In the same way a great way of really annoying someone is to ask for a really sweet cup of tea, eat something even sweeter and then sip the tea and ask them "are you sure you've sweetened this?"

Tasts buds have bad days too

Post 4

Slug

Okay - this is only slightly related (taste buds screwing with your mind and all), but has anyone else ever noticed that if you clean your teeth (with mint-flavoured toothpaste) and then drink beer (a light lager) you get the distinct taste of tomato salsa?

(However - as a note of warning - a bowl of beer and toothpaste is not a good dip subsititute when friends drop by unexpectedly...)

Taste buds have bad days too

Post 5

Slug

Er... sorry about the misspelt subject heading. Typing whilst wearing mittens.

Numb taste buds

Post 6

Cheerful Dragon

I've never tried the combination you mentioned, but most things taste weird after cleaning one's teeth. This is because most toothpastes numb the taste buds. If you were blind-folded you wouldn't have a clue what you were tasting.

Feelin' Icky

Post 7

Olaf the, er, Hesitant

A related subject.....

...why, oh why, when I brush my teeth in the morning does it nearly always make me want to hurl?

(Possibly useful information: no, I haven't always been drinking heavily the night before.)

Feelin' Icky

Post 8

Paul the Brake

I'd like to no the anwser to this one cause It has the same effect on me some mornings, not every day though. curious???

Taste buds have bad days too

Post 9

Sorcerer

You think that's bad, try it with a cast

Feelin' Icky

Post 10

Sidney Kidney, AKA Gruby Ben, friend of Dirty Den

This is weird!, I also sometimes feel like up-chucking when brushing!

I thought it was just me, but I fear not!

Whats going on.....is it a tooth paste additive??

Gag Reflex

Post 11

Dandelion Pegleen

When I brush my teeth, I inadvertently dry heave if my toothbrush is too far back in my mouth. Any further than the rear of my tongue and the old "heurgghh" reflex occurs. I could never be a bulimic because it is SUCH an unpleasant sensation! eeuugghhh, nasty - so be careful when you brush your tongue smiley - smiley

Gag Reflex

Post 12

Olaf the, er, Hesitant

I had been warned about the perils of skewering my epiglottis with a toothbrush, and I avoid this by the simple expediency of never brushing that far back (halitosis is an unfortunate side-effect, but hey-ho).

My gut feeling on this is that it's the toothpaste....but why I don't know. I don't have a similar sensation when sucking on a Polo (mind you, my neighbour's got a Sierra now, so I haven't tried it recently).

Anyone out there any thoughts on this? Or can lend me £1,000,000 for some research?

Tea and Onion

Post 13

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

And if you salt a watermelon, it tastes sweeter.

Tea and Onion

Post 14

Jesus Lupa!!

Where did you dig this old thread up from!!smiley - smiley

Tea and Onion

Post 15

Just went down the Ask H2G2 list and clicked on everything that looked interesting.smiley - smiley

Tea and Onion

Post 16

I had only just started shaving when this started!!

Tea and Onion

Post 17

smiley - bigeyes And is there anything wrong with bringing back a classic?

Tea and Onion

Post 18

No, I supose not! The Retro Look is all the rage at the moment...

Chrome knobs and attention to detail...

Tea and Onion

Post 19

Paul the Brake

Was it really that long ago that I posted a message on this forum, It seems like yesterday. Ah! those were the days.

Tea and Onion

Post 20

KB

Heh.

They thought *that* was a long time ago. But that's just peanuts compared to now.

smiley - silly

Key: Complain about this post