A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Entertaining without cutlery

Post 1

Toccata

Right, I have six folk coming round on Friday for a flat warming, and only two settings of cutlery 8) I'm being bought more for Christmas, so don't really want to buy any more.

Any suggestions for hot finger food, other than the obvious Pizza?

Post 2

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Nachos, followed by fajitas, with the cutlery you do have used to serve the filling. I love food you can play with!

smiley - bluek

Post 3

Toccata

Sounds good, though one of the guests isn't keen on 'unusual' food. I s'pose I could make a standard mince thingy as well as a proper chill....

Post 4

Cloviscat

Could you make it a Bring Your Own Fork party?

Cheaper than bottles...

Post 5

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Fajita filling doesn't have to be that unusal, it is basically chicken (or beef) strips with peppers and onion cooked with some spices. There are some really good packet Fajita mixes you can get from the supermarket, my favourite is a real 'discovery'smiley - winkeye. Add to that guacamole, salsa, sour cream and grated cheese to provide extra fun during tortilla assembly.

How about home-made burgers and oven chips? Burgers are easy (and fun - I always smoosh all the ingredients together by hand) to make then you just grill them and stick them in a bun. Current favourite recipe is mince, finely chopped onion, sundried tomato, mushroom, fresh basil, fresh oregano, some worcestershire sauce, bit of bovril, splash of red wine, salt, pepper, and anything else that comes to hand, plus a beaten egg to bind it all together. You can add breadcrumbs to bulk it out, or leave out the sundried toms and other stuff and stick to just mince, onion, breadcrumbs, herbs and seasoning. I do recommend the worcestershire sauce and bovril though.

smiley - bluek

Post 6

MrsCloud

we always do fajitas when we have loads of people coming round as it's so easy and it can all be laided out on the table and people can grab what they like, which means if you have any fussy eaters then they can choose what they like.

Post 7

Toccata

Fajitas do seem to be the way to go, I usually do them with a chilli mince, but it would make sense to do a couple of dishes of strips of meat, (less likely to fall apart as well) then I can have some spicy & some plain.

The fussy ones can pick out the onion, peppers & the like smiley - smiley Ooh a great excuse to do Mozzarella stuffed Chillies smiley - cool

Post 8

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

smiley - popcornsmiley - chocsmiley - donut

make it a theme party. FINGERS

do finger painting and fingernail painting and stuff.

What do you mean 'your friends are grown ups'

make them regress!

FABT

Post 9

Lady in a tree

Sausages on sticks!!! Cheese and pineapple - on sticks!! Sausage rolls - leave the sticks out of those I think.

But seriously - chicken satay (with the satay sauce served on the side 'cos it can be a bit hot sometimes) with spicy (or not) potato wedges is good for a main meal.

Post 10

Cloviscat

MMmm - party food!

Lots of sandwiches cut into funny shapes! Ritz biscuits with extravangant toppings!

You could do it as a 50's kitsch night...

Must admit, given the choice, I would always prefer finger food...

Post 11

Toccata

Potato wedges a good idea smiley - smiley I'm still going for the hot food, so sandwiches may not be ideal. 50's Kitch, Hmmm what else would that involve?

Post 12

Wampus

Sushi is always nice. If you don't like raw fish, it need not include that; it could be vegetarian sushi. You can find recipies on the internet easily enough.

Wampus

Post 13

Researcher 179388

Wish I hadn't read this as I am starving now!

For a dessert you could serve choc ices, if you have a freezer to keep them in till needed, in fact any wrapped ices, mmmm Magnums.....

I've got to go amd find some food, right now!

Post 14

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Depends on how many small bowls you have... what about chinese cooking and getting some sticks for it? Or a big pot of stew/goulash soup ?

Post 15

Pink Paisley

Cheese footballs. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

PP

Post 16

Zantic - Who is this woman??

Your version of Jalapeno poppers that you keep promising to make...
Oh...I not be there....
smiley - wah

Post 17

Mustapha

Tiny little samosas and spring rolls.

With dipping sauce, naturally.

Post 18

Captain Kebab

Kebabs of course! smiley - bigeyes

Post 19

Toccata

smiley - cheers Chaps! I've got some Beef & chicken in. Shall do Fajita's etc smiley - smiley
If I do a plain(ish) chicken and a spicy beef that'll keep everybody happy. May well go Chineese next time 8)

Key: Complain about this post