A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Back to harry

Post 121

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Did anyone else notice how Malfoy, the annoying little baddie, looked exactly like a very young yuppie. In some of his scenes, I was half expecting him to whip out a mobile phone and say 'Sell Marconi and buy BP. Let's do lunch' into it.

Back to Harry

Post 122

Dorothy Outta Kansas

I'm an adult (over 18, by about ten years!) I've read the books (four so far) and I've seen the film. I enjoyed the film, but not as much as I enjoyed the books. In simple terms, the concept has been too hyped for most people to appreciate without a preformed opinion. Only the children haven't been caught in the storm of marketing: from a frenzy of autograph-hunting-and-celebrity-seeking-parents, one child was quoted as saying "I don't want her autograph; she's not my hero, Harry is!" I sigh in hype-hating despair, every time I see a HP-related commercial product with a assigned to a Hollywood studio!

In answer to those who've complained that the books are light and escapist, without any of the nitty-gritty seen in real boarding-schools, or any other unpleasantness, I say, "keep reading!" The young yuppie, Draco Malfoy, turns out to be the class bully, unsurprisingly; Harry (and others) do have to face a bullying teacher. Keep reading. Book Four ("Goblet of Fire") is set against a much darker background, where the threat of the protagonist is much stronger, war is imminent, and people take sides in a very adult and political way. Light and escapist? The depth is there, if you want to look for it! Anyone disagree?

x x Fenny (spreading Universal Tolerance)

Back to Harry

Post 123

MaW

And book five is going to be even darker, given the events at the end of book four which I won't mention because they're too good to spoil it for people who haven't read it yet. Although if you haven't - WHY NOT???

Back to Harry

Post 124

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Like I always say, the best work in any one genre contains aspects from most or all of the others. Look at HP the right way and you will see comedy, mystery, politics, action, kids stuff, a little SF, and quite a few social commentaries. Star Wars is even better, with westerns, fantasy, mystery, politics, action, comedy, psychology, romance, music, all packed into the one series. Of course, not every episode/film/book has every aspect, so a bit of sniping is inevitable.smiley - nursesmiley - moonsmiley - strawberry

Back to Harry

Post 125

MaW

Unfortunately, the new Star Wars movies are absolutely dire. I've seen two trailers for Episode II and they make it look more like a soap opera. Oh dear, George Lucas, what is your dream coming to?

Back to Harry

Post 126

MaW

Unfortunately, the new Star Wars movies are absolutely dire. I've seen two trailers for Episode II and they make it look more like a soap opera. Oh dear, George Lucas, what is your dream coming to?

Back to Harry

Post 127

Apart from the fact that Anakin seems to turn bad through being a stroppy, arrogant teenager, they seem fine to me. We'll just have to wait and see....
smiley - spider

Back to Harry

Post 128

MaW

"Some day I'm going to be the greatest Jedi ever!"

Mmm, yes, he will be, but only for a few minutes after he kills the Emperor and before he dies himself.

Back to Harry

Post 129

Dorothy Outta Kansas

"He will bring Balance to the Force!"

And no one noticed? Come on, I thought they had brains enough to realise that someone BAD had to balance out someone GOOD!

x x Fenny (seeking Universal Tolerance for cult films, good and bad)

Back to Harry

Post 130

I suppose that, despite all evidence to the contrary, some Jedis just had to hope for the best.

Key: Complain about this post