A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Table image maker!

Post 1

NMcCoy (attempting to standardize my username across the Internet. Formerly known as Twinkle.)

Hey! I just made something really cool! You can make table images the size of a standard smiley pixel by pixel, and have it automatically create the GuideML for putting it on your page! Check it out at link 2 from my links page:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A583058

Um, Italics: Am I within the rules this time? smiley - smiley

Table image maker!

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

This works in HTML but not in GuideML. GuideML is XML which is slightly stricter than HTML. You have to make one change to get it to work: add a closing after each or put a closing / just before the > in the .

Table image maker!

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

As for whether this is within the rules, I think you'd better ask!

Table image maker!

Post 4

E G Mel

It's cool, I'll check and see if you're ok to use it!

Mel smiley - hsif

Table image maker!

Post 5

TheGrue (hiding in a blackbox)

it IS cool, I tried it and made meself a blackbox! thanks (even if I might have to remove it...)!
and thanks Mel, I was tagging you and found this smiley - winkeye
btw: You're it again...
Thesmiley - monsterGrue

Table image maker!

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

Jim Lynn, the h2g2 techie, replied as follows:

"It's not portable, so I'd advise against it. It would make displaying articles on low-bandwidth devices very slow or impossible.

It probably won't work on all browsers, either.

Generally a bad idea, IMO."

Table image maker!

Post 7

E G Mel

Not suprising, Keep trying twinkle you have some wonderful ideas!

Damn, I'm 'it' now!

Mel smiley - hsif

Table image maker!

Post 8

Ottox

However, it's not against the rules according to Mark Moxon.

I'm probably the h2g2 researcher with the most lousy computer
(well, maybe not, but a 486, Win3.1, IE3, 56K modem), and I've got no problems with this kind of pictures as long as they're not too big. I've even used them myself. See the candles at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A579305 (copied from Titania).

Twinkles gadget doesn't work in this browser anyway...

Table image maker!

Post 9

NMcCoy (attempting to standardize my username across the Internet. Formerly known as Twinkle.)

With the thing... I fixed that just before you replied. I did realize the problem of it only working in IE, but I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances. Unfortunately, I can't see any easy way to make it work in Netscape, because it requires something to be in the table cells, and the font's too big... wait a minute... that might work... Ok, be back in a bit to see if this works... smiley - smiley

Table image maker!

Post 10

Nice box, by the way. I'll be working on a transparency thing for it eventually. Problem is, it would require an if stantement, and I don't remember the syntax for them.

Table image maker!

Post 11

smiley - yuk statement.
Missed the preview button.

Table image maker!

Post 12

I'm not really here

It doesn't seem to work in Opera either. smiley - sadface
don't make me use IE, please, beg, govel... smiley - cry

Table image maker!

Post 13

Frankie Roberto

Doesn't this potentially have wider implications as you could write a script that takes a gif and analyses it pixel-by-pixel, converting the gif into a big table...

Seems like a bit of a klunky workaround.

Works though...

Table image maker!

Post 14

Version 2.0 is done! It features:

Transparency!
Custom colors!
Filling the whole thing with a solid color!
Cross browser compatibility...Hopefullly...Please test!

Stuff to anticipate for version 3:

Editing an already-existing table!
Simpler custom-color interface!
Click-and-drag drawing!

Table image maker!

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

Twinkle,

I asked Mark Moxon about this technique and whether it could be used for photos.Here's Mark's reply:

If those photos are legal, then there's no problem. However, for anything remotely large it's going to be a very, very inefficient way of storing them, so I'd stick to small pix.

Up to you. It's up there with ASCII art with interesting ways of implementing graphics, and in the same way, copyright material will have to be removed whatever format it's in, but it doesn't bother me, to be honest.

Table image maker!

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

There are a few other things you can do to the table to make the final version use less GuideML

1. Use /> at the end of the <TD tag instead of a separate tag.

2. Use width="1" instead of the id="blip", then just put the widths on the elements of the first row.

3. Use colspan to combine together pixels side by side that are the same colour.

4. Use colour names such as BLACK, GREEN etc instead of #000000 etc.

2 & 3 in particular will require a lot of testing.

Table image maker!

Post 17

I kinda figured the same thing. I tried doing a 100 by 100 image, and it took a whole megabyte. Pretty useless for the Web. smiley - smiley It seems to work pretty well, though, in terms of small designs.

Table image maker!

Post 18

Simulpost. Anyway, the ID="blip" thing is for future forwards compatibility, so you can re-edit tables that are on a page. The thing wouldn't work, because there needs to be something in it for it to show up in some browsers. The colspan would probably be just too difficult to program.

Table image maker!

Post 19

Dorothy Outta Kansas

Twinkl*

I've tried it in IE, Opera and Netscape, but it only seemed to work on IE.

Good luck - this is a brilliant idea.

x x Fenny

Table image maker!

Post 20

You can now click and drag to draw continuously.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more