A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1741

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Emperor: The Gates of Rome - Conn Iggulden

it's hysterically terrible history. the fiction's, imaginative (Caesar's born 14 years too early just for a start). the writing's not too bad, and I would get involved in the story if I didn't have a clue about the real one. Mostly it's just amusing me.

Post 1742

Teuchter

Just finished a series of books by Alexander McCall-Smith:

No 1 Ladies Detective Agency, Tears of a Giraffe, Morality for Beautiful Girls and The Kalahari Typing School for Men.

Thoroughly enjoyed them all. Very gentle, well written and enough tension to keep you turning the pages to find out what happens.

My only quibble - 4 slim books, each priced £6.99 (tho' I did get a discount). The material could easily have made two decent sized books - at half the cost. A bit of greed there perhaps?

Post 1743

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

possibly not on his part - he probably just writes the books as he wants them to be. Then the publisher (I think) decides on the price. It is a bit annoying when I've read each one in around two hours - and they ARE wonderful, I've got my mum numbers four and five for her birthday. But I've paid the same price for some dross in my time, so I'm not too bothered.

Post 1744

katkodl

“The Bell Jar“ by Sylvia Plath, first published in 1963
There are just a few pages left to read, and I can recommend it full heartedly, at least for women – I’m not sure if men are able to put themselves in the protagonist's place.

~kat~ smiley - cheerup

Post 1745

Baconlefeets

I'm reading the latest Maggie O' Farrell book, The Distance Between Us. I'm halfway through and only boght it yesterdaysmiley - bigeyes

Post 1746

Saturnine

"The Bell Jar" is good, but smiley - yikes certain parts can drill into the head. I would recommend reading a biography of Sylvia Plath or some of her poetry first, just so you get a feel of her writing.

As for me -

"The Big U" - Neal Stephenson

I paid $20 (Canadian) for it - it's his first book, and it's been unpublished for a while. Pretty fun so far!

Post 1747

Sho - employed again!

smiley - yikes Katkodl - I absolutely loathed and detested the Bell Jar - I was worried about that so I read it a few times but still I dislike intensely.

But then, the whole thing abut Plath and Ted Hughes spoils it for me I think.

I've just finished reading the first 3 (in publication order) of the Sharpe novels, and am impatiently awaiting Mr. Amazon's next delivery so I can read some more of Sharpe buckling his swash. Or whatever.

Currently going through Return of the King and casting around for something else to read. Probably it will be Chocolat

Post 1748

katkodl

That’s an interesting strategy of yours, Sho: reading books you don’t like several times. Apart from “The Bell Jar”, did you ever change your mind about a book you detested the first time after reading it a second time?

~kat~ smiley - cheerup

Post 1749

Narapoia

Hmm. I think I would be inclined to re-read books I like rather than those I didn't! I read the Bell Jar a couple of years ago and it wouldn't be high on my list for another look. I'm not sure being female necessarily helps - I found it a bit irritating but maybe that was the point...

Post 1750

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

I read the Bell Jar and disliked it, and never went back to it. But then I did have to study her poems at A-level and pretty much detested them too.

Catcher in the Rye I also hated, but I did re-read that five years later just in case there was something "wrong" with me first time round as all teens are supposed to idolise it. Turns out that there's something wrong with the book. It's really quite dire.

Post 1751

MuseSusan

Isn't it one of those rebelling-against-I-don't-know-what books? I never read it (and didn't want to) because my English teacher hated it and didn't want to study it in her class.

Post 1752

Rosemary {[(2+2+2)^2]+4+2=42}

I don't like Dickens, and won't read Hardy-Mayor of Casterbridge put me off. Studied both of them in English-I did read the Eustace and Hilda series though, having read "The Go Between" in class
Have just finished Monstrous Regiment and Girl with A Pearl Earring-liked both of them. Not surprising considering that I like Pratchett and historical novels. Am also reading a bit of John Donne at the moment.

Post 1753

Satchmo

The natural history of religion

David Hume

Post 1754

Sho - employed again!

sorry, Kat, been off site.

Well, I read The Bell Jar on the recommendation of lots of people. But I've always had a soft spot for Ted Hughes since I read Crow. I generally dislike his poetry (all the afterbirths hanging out of sheep's bottoms put me off) but I feel an affinity for a Yorkshireman - even one who went to live in Devon. And he got such flak, and now after the Birthday Letters it seems that he didn't deserve (most of) it.

So I re-read it. And again. Then once again. To be honest, I don't really have any sympathy or empathy for any of the characters. I think it's overwritten (which isn't really why I dislike it) but ... possibly I'm looking for it to be too brilliant. The brilliant poet/writer cut off in her prime is a lot to live up to.

I've also read The Catcher in the Rye lots of times looking for some redeming feature. The one good thing I have to say about that one is that I can empathise (and detest) the main character. I mostly read it now to work out why it prompted (apparently) the murder of John Lennon.

I didn't like Silas Marner when I studied it for O-level. But I read it (out of desparation when it was the only book in the caravan one wet holiday) again a year later, and I absolutely loved it. Each time (I tend to read books several times each) I love it a bit more. It really is a lovely story, it seems so simple, but it is beautifully written and just flows off the page. The only other one of Elliot's that I like is Adam Bede.

I persevere with The Silmarillion because i love LOTR so much that I can't believe i don't like it. But it's only the stile I don't like, so I think that maybe next time, or the time after, it will be fine.

and to get on topic: currently reading Enigma by Robert Harris. I love it (especially since I used to be in the Intelligence Corps - it's making me nostalgic for my army days!)

Post 1755

Sho - employed again!

eek, yikes, sorry about that.

it seems to be my night for long postings.

Post 1756

MuseSusan

Don't worry; I do that all the time! smiley - smiley The little scrolly windows are very deceptive!

Post 1757

Teuchter

Now reading 'Boudicca' by Manda Scott

Life among the tribes circa AD30 - absolutely gripping - have difficulty putting it down and think about the characters all day when I should be concentrating on wo*k smiley - blush

I'm with you on the swash-buckling Sho! Have you tried any of Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin novels? They've just made a film of the first two with Russell Crowe - Master and Commander. I'm stuck on the third one - HMS Surprise - they take a bit of concentration, all that stuff about mainsls and mizzens - I have to keep flicking back to the picture to see which bit of the rigging they're on about.

* wanders off dazedly, smiley - drool about Richard Sharpe

Post 1758

malevolentlalala

smiley - book <-- Anyone read this one?

Post 1759

DoppelgangerBumboof

I'm reading a fictional book called The Children's War, and it's really long!! (Almost 1,200 pages. Big pages. With tiny print.) I can't seem to put it down though. It's one of those books that keeps pulling you back. If you're not averse to violence and/or dehumanization, and you don't mind spending a month on one book, I highly recommend it.

Post 1760

The Groob

Charles Bukowski, Women.

Key: Complain about this post