A Conversation for New Alchemists

Peer Review: A2420669 - New Alchemists

Post 1

Vestboy II not playing the Telegram Game at U726319

Entry: New Alchemists - A2420669
Author: Vestboy - U231609

LETS has ahad a roller coaster ride in recent years but alternative currencies are taking more of a hold. Nectar points for instance are showing that big business can use this new concept for it's own profit.

A2420669 - New Alchemists

Post 2

McKay The Disorganised

Interesting. I look forward to the debate on this one.

I am assuming that everyones time is equal ? My 1 hour is worth the same as your 1 hour. Perhaps you could clarify this in the entry.

smiley - cider

Post 3

The entry could eventually be absolutely enormous but I'm trying to keep it simple.
LETS tend to follow the rules laid down by the group that sets it up. The concept can be on the anarchistic spectrum and so for some people they insist that everyone's time is equal. Generally there is some rule like "A basic hourly tate is 6 points" which allows people to aks for the basic rate if they've never sold theri labour privately before. However I was involved with a grouw where a Doctor (MD) was willing to offer some of his alternative private stuff (hypnosis to stop smoking etc.) on the LETS for points but what he said was he would accept LETS money at the same rate as cash.
Quite often the LETS point is worth £1 so he wanted 20 LETS points for half an hour of hypnosis.
The membership can decide among themselves whether they are willing to pay this or not.

Post 4

Sorry for the typos!
Basic hourly tate = Basic hourly rate
grouw = group

Post 5

Gordon, Ringer of Bells, Keeper of Postal Codes and Maps No One Can Re-fold Properly

Post 6

Gordon, Ringer of Bells, Keeper of Postal Codes and Maps No One Can Re-fold Properly

Hi...

There are a couple of references that you'll need to remove before it can be considered for inclusion in the EG: the reference to Blue Mountain and the last bit where you say you may do an entry on another topic.

I'll have to re-read this over the weekend. smiley - smiley

Cheers!

smiley - teasmiley - towel

Post 7

Hi Gordon,
Thanks for looking at it.

I've altered the Blue Mountain entry to make it less personal and I've removed the promose of something on the banking system.

How's that now?

Post 8

FordsTowel

Loved it! Nice, easy to understand entry on a potentially complex subject.

The old barter system still works, eh? smiley - ok

My only suggestion is that you used the word 'lets' without capitalizing it, at least once. Since it is an acronym, it should always be capitalized.

smiley - towel

Post 9

Thanks Fords. I've changed that and picked up another typo in the process.

Post 10

2 of 3

I have a suggestion about the matrix.
Wouldn't it be possible for you to create this diagram using the table feature in guideML.

Its just a thought. I'll try playing around with guideML and see . . .

I think a diagram would be very useful.

2/3

Post 11

2 of 3

like this <./>A2466885</.>

2/3

Post 12

That looks very promising. Can it be done with the grid lines in? Also how ouwld I cut and paste the guide ml stuff as I'm not too good at it?

Post 13

2 of 3

yep! I've added the grid lines.
Look at it again now.

I've sent you a message with the GuideML so you can paste it in.

If you want to make changes to the table and need help editing it, just holler!

2/3

Post 14

That's rellay helpful, thanks smiley - cheers

Post 15

Cyzaki

How's it going?

smiley - panda

Post 16

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

The author has since switched back to an older h2g2 account (U45662), and I've left a message on that personal space asking him to come take a look here, and let us know if he's still interested in this.

smiley - cheers

Post 17

Vestboy

Hi, thanks for bringing my attention to this. Are ther any other suggestions you want me to work on?

Post 18

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

A few things --

This entry really seems to be primarily about the LETS scheme rather than about the concept of "new alchemy" in general -- as such, I think it would make sense to revise the title and introduction to reflect that.

This entry also seems to be a bit lacking in terms of balance -- it almost reads more like a brochure for LETS than it does a balanced, objective look at the scheme. Do you know what I mean?

smiley - cheers
Mikey

Post 19

luvwotiz - or - Resistance Is Futile so be happy with NOW

In regard to people's time being equal; study, training, ability and experience make our contributions more complex than would seem apparent at first glance. For example a Doctor would have sacrificed many years and long hours studying and training and therefore his or her time would clearly be worth a lot more than someone who is offering skills that were learnt while receiving a wage.
Alternatively someone who has not sacrificed their time and wages but rather has a natural talent may be able to ask for greater remuneration due to supply and demand. Idolised actors who ask for an astronomical payment to complete a popular TV serial knowing they can get away with it are an extreme example.
This is where our current wage system breaks down, with everyone thinking they are worth more than others, being disgruntled or calling for strikes. Women are still found more frequently in lower paid jobs and housework and parenting are still officially unpaid.

I think I am getting into dangerous territory now. smiley - smiley This is my first contribution so please forgive me if I have broken any conventions.

Luvwotiz

Post 20

Vestboy

Hi Luvwotiz (Love what is?)
I like your contribution. I have some queries though. Each of us has a lifetime to live. Each of us has a contribution to make. If someone performs a task which makes life better for everyone then I would want to reward that - the cleaner and dealer in waste products as much as the person who reassures me that my headache is not a brain tumour.

There is a market and this cannot be ignored. However within these trading systems people are often called on to 'give' something. The lawyer who agrees to accept their time as equal to the cleaners for just part of their week may get more of a reward than money. Some people describe it as spiritual. It is a sort of acknwoledgment that we do say that we are equal and for once you remove your money from where your mouth is.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for New Alchemists

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more