A Conversation for You're Giving Me...(Strange Translations)

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 21

The Duke of Dunstable

Leech is the word.
Leech cone, eh? Well, the combination is obvious to any mind. As long as the mind is that of a Vogon.

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 22

Vikinglady

While we´re on the subject: Nipple in Norwegian is "brystvorte". Yes, the wart-thing again. The word for bra is BH or brystholder. Brystholder means "holding breasts". By the way, I´m pleased to say I use a bra. I haven´t hired some poor young man to hold them for me... (I wouldn´t get much work done!) And hedgehog in Norwegian is "pinnsvin", which directly translated means "stick-pig".
It´s a wonderful language for those of us who are born into it. All the rest of the world can forget even learning this lingo. The immigrants are trying, but they never get the hang of it. Hell, I haven´t got the hang of it and I´m born here! (Maybe it´s my Italian genes...)

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 23

Olaf the, er, Hesitant

Thanks for the contributions, VikingLady....

...I can't imagine that a young lad employed as a breast holder in Norway would be considered "poor" by the rest of the male populous. "Lucky" and "sod" spring more readily to mind. smiley - smiley

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 24

The Duke of Dunstable

Woah! I'm gone only two weeks, and Olaf is making an adult forum! Olaf, you're getting worse by the minute! I'll admit contribution from other parties such as my self and Vikinglady, but still... Coor.

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 25

Olaf the, er, Hesitant

Duke, it is not my fault if young (Scandinavian, I might point out) girls post messages in our forum about whether or not they wear bras....

....I was merely being courteous....

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 26

The Duke of Dunstable

No, but still...smiley - winkeye

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 27

Vikinglady

Thank you so much for calling me a young girl.....
I take that as a compliment! smiley - smiley

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 28

Olaf the, er, Hesitant

Compliments R US, Vikinglady!

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 29

Vestboy

Jeanie Mac! All this discussion about underwear and I haven't been involved!
I am in a slight underwear predicament myself as my home page illustrates so I can't really offer any spares to anyone - as was suggested earlier.

I hope you have had a good holiday by the time you read this Duke.

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 30

The Duke of Dunstable

Vestie, dear fellow. I bow my head in thanks in your general direction. The holiday was splendid with sun, golf and fishing, barbequeing and whiskydrinking. That's about all I want from a vacation, really. As a counterpoint, things are beginning to pick up at work, which disables me to tend to my conversations here as much as I would like. I trust, however, that you and Olaf are uphlding the virtues of all that is good?

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 31

Vestboy

Welcome back Duke. By the way what are the words in these various languages for toe? I know in italian the word would translate as "foot finger."
And we have a gap in the English language. A missing word. Perhaps we could steal one from another language to make up the gap. The word is... well we haven't got it but I can explain it to you.

When you have a group of hungry people you can "feed" them. When you have a group of thirsty people we don't have a word that caters for them. You could use "water" but that really is more for livestock or plants and I think is very unsatisfactory. Maybe the word should come from "drink" as "feed" comes from "food". Drenk?

Can anyone help?

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 32

The Duke of Dunstable

I think that should be "Dreenk" in that case. Like this:

"Our people starve, my lord."
"Well, feed them, then!"
"But they are thirsty too, my lord."
"Look, feed them and dreenk them and don't bother me with your futiles!"

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 33

Vestboy

Yes, you get the picture. But what is the word in Swedish, Norwegian, Tugnafian and so on?

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 34

The Duke of Dunstable

Come to think of it, I can't seem to dig up a single standing word for it. "Feed" becomes "Mata" (Food = Mat). "Drink" as in "Let them drink" becomes "Dricka", but now single word for "Give them drink". Hmmm. And as for "Toe", it translates to "Tå", which is impossible to translate back to English.
Another curious thing is the swedish word "Lagom". That's the single word for, for example, when you've eaten just the proper amount of food to satisfy you. You're not too full, and you haven't eaten to little. That means you have eaten "Lagom". Incicentally, the word "Lagom" translates as "team-about". You see the logics spreading all around...

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 35

Vestboy

We have "sufficient" which is sometimes used, suffice it to say.
What is this problem with giving drink then. Is it an international conspiracy. Maybe we need to let the H2G2 Authorties know!

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 36

The Duke of Dunstable

"Sufficient" would translate as "Tillräcklig(t)", which is not quite the same. Indeed it must be a conspiracy, and I for one think that Oliver Stone should look in to it.

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 37

Vestboy

And the Pope and the Dalai Lama!

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 38

The Duke of Dunstable

Woah there! Do we really think it's a religious conspiracy with roots in federal governments? Don't you think it's a cosmic one, larger than life?

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 39

Vestboy

Eh? Oh yeah! Right. Who do we report it to then?

Gabba gabba hey hey

Post 40

The Duke of Dunstable

Well, we shall have to chose between David Letterman or Martha Stewart, I guess. But I'm thinking that maybe we could form some kind of front against lack of words...No. No, that's already been done. I mean we have "The meaning of Liff", don't we?

Key: Complain about this post