A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Mis-spelt words

Post 1

Einmoto - CoachAntony

When I was at school I had a problem with Parliament ... which I now, can spell with a 100% money back guarentee.

Any thing similar?

Mis-spelt words

Post 2

A Super Furry Animal

Guarantee, for one! smiley - biggrinsmiley - run

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Mis-spelt words

Post 3

U1250369

Grammer for grammar

and grammer for grammar

Mis-spelt words

Post 4

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Misspelled.

Mis-spelt words

Post 5

Einmoto - CoachAntony

I was thinking more in the line of recieve, actually

Mis-spelt words

Post 6

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I before E except after C.

Except that that rule doesn't always apply?

Who came up with that? smiley - weird

Mis-spelt words

Post 7

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

It does apply in receive.

Mis-spelt words

Post 8

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Yes it does, but what words doesn't it apply to?

Mis-spelt words

Post 9

Jadey Wade

i noticed that a word beginning with a vowel usually has 'an' before it. any exceptions?

also words beginning with a consonant have 'a' before them. any exceptions for these?

Mis-spelt words

Post 10

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Some folk have the annoyingly put an 'an' in front of words like 'hotel'.

Mis-spelt words

Post 11

Jadey Wade

yeah the dont say the 'h'

Mis-spelt words

Post 12

Ugi - Keeper of typos & spelling errers - MAT (see A575912)

I don't think it's just about dropping the 'H' - BBC news readers say "an hotel". I've heard it's something to do with whether the word is Greek or Latin, or something similar, although I forget the details.

Spelling has never been my strong point. I have a strange compulsion to put an "e" on the end of "perhaps", for example. I'm also never sure how many of what goes into "access". I think actually I'm probably a little dyslexic, but don't tell anyone, since (from a certain point of view at least), I write for a living. smiley - winkeye

Mis-spelt words

Post 13

Einmoto - CoachAntony

I've seen lots of people here, myself included, spell off and of interchangeably. First I wrote: Interchangably.

Mis-spelt words

Post 14

Of and off are two different words, they're not interchangeable.

Mis-spelt words

Post 15

Beatrice

Hootoo isn't the best place to look for perfect spelling!

Mis-spelt words

Post 16

Is anywhere, outside of a dictionary?

Mis-spelt words

Post 17

aka Bel - A87832164

Descendent instead of descendant. I had to look it up. There are more words like that (can't think of them right now), and often, the German way of spelling them misleads me.

Mis-spelt words

Post 18

Cookiecate

Keith, it is embarassing when you can't spell your husbands name properly

Mis-spelt words

Post 19

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

excersise .... exercise ....

When my brother was studying Sports Science I used to help him type up his research - it was one word I could never get right and I still have problems with it.

Do it? I can't even spell it! smiley - rofl

Mis-spelt words

Post 20

MELKMAN

and if you are a afrikaans guy like me you would feel like im feeling now.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more