A Conversation for Challenge h2g2

UK Counties & Regions - England - Oxfordshire

Post 1

Paully

Home to perhaps the most famous University in the world, Oxfordshire is also home to pictureque towns like Faringdon, the Chiltern Hills and even the Vale of the White Horse. But what else do you know about Oxfordshire? Share your knowledge with us and help us to write our entry on this lovely county. smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 2

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

sure have been some very famous people... literary work et al. JRR Tolkien has connections and there are many other people connected such as Philip Pullman et al.

Post 3

Number Six

Supergrass are from Oxford. So were Ride. And Talulah Gosh smiley - ok

smiley - mod

Post 4

Supergrass went to school with me smiley - smiley

Post 5

aka Bel - A87832164

One of the most fascinating places I ever went to, are the Rollrightstones smiley - magic
http://www.rollrightstones.co.uk/

The BBC recently asked people to name their favourite 'Oxfordshire Wonders' so I sent the link to my friend. He told me, that neither the
'White Horse Hill', nor 'the Ridgeway' would 'really' belong to Oxfordshire, because they have 'been stolen from Berkshire' in the boundary change in the 1970ies smiley - winkeye

Post 6

Lbclaire

Hmmm...well as a resident of Oxfordshire, the main point for me at the moment is that house prices are the highest in the country apart from London!! We don't get London salaries though...

smiley - smiley Lbclaire

Post 7

aka Bel - A87832164

That's not what I've heard on the radio, or read on the BBC site, I think they said house prices have increased throughout the whole country, but not so much in Oxford - but not too sure about it. smiley - erm

Post 8

Lbclaire

As far as I know, and I heard it said again on TV the other day, they may not have increased as much in Oxfordshire, but are still higher than (almost) everywhere else.

Of course, I could be wrong. It happens...frequently! smiley - winkeye

smiley - smiley Lbclaire

Post 9

aka Bel - A87832164

You're probably right, after all, you live in Oxfordshire and will know, whereas I don't smiley - smiley

Post 10

I've heard contradictory evidence that London and Oxford have similar salaries.

Post 11

Danny B

The basic salaries might be the same, but that doesn't take into account the London weighting. I was relocated from Oxford to London a few years ago, doing the same job for the same company, but my salary was increased to include a London weighting.

Post 12

I think I'll take a back seat on this unsure on what 'weighting' means.

Plus I have no intentions on moving to London but am well acquainted with Oxford

Post 13

Danny B

The 'weighting' is just an extra amount you get paid for working in London. If you look through job advertisements they often state "salary + London weighting".

Post 14

Keseral - lost...

hmm i dont know much about salariesand things round here, but geneal things about oxfordshire:

flat
historical
never, ever, EVER go to didcot if you can help it
very middle-ish in the whole scheme of things
home of many nutters smiley - winkeye (eg, me)

...and im sure i can think of some more.... hmmsmiley - smiley

Post 15

flat puh who you trying to kid?

historical yes with the Universities and the like

power station at Didcot enough said

middleish ... got to disagree with you there its south england not manchester.

better to be insane than sane and boring smiley - tongueout

go on....

Post 16

Honorary God

I have to disagree with flat - I have just moved to North Oxfordshire (Banbury) from East Anglia (Peterborough)and I can safely say that it is not flat here.

Salaries are much the same as the rest of the country in the professions but the house prices in North Oxfordhire are a great deal lower than in Oxford itself (160 - 180K for a 4 bed semi close to the town centre, whereas you can add at least 100 - 200k for a similar property in Oxford [0X1])

There seems to be a pattern with the major historical cities as I found the same sort of disparity of prices the closer you got to Cambridge.

What seems to be happening here, is that many people who work in Oxford are moving to places like Banbury because their salaries just can't meet the ridiculous prices in Oxford itself. After all - it's only 40 minutes away.

Talking of London Weighting, there has apparently been a campaign for some time now trying to get an Oxford weighting but this keeps getting blocked. Some companies do however offer a large town allowance for such places as Oxford and Cambridge (Mine used to - don't know what happened to that - I suspect they stopped it while no one was looking smiley - sadface) but this was only half or quarter that of London Weighting, which is currently £3400 pa. Oddly enough this is about what it costs for a season ticket on chiltern railways from Banbury to London, but I think that this just a co-incience; because if they had thought about it they would have realised that London Weighting is taxable. smiley - grr

smiley - winkeye HG.

Post 17

looks like when the entry is done there will be talking of weighting

Post 18

Paully

I'm delighted to announce that we already have two County entries in Peer Review, waiting to receive any bouquets or brickbats that people might lob in their general direction! If you're currently either working on or contributing to a County entry of your own right now, you might like to have a quick look to see how some other researchers have tackled this challenge. They are: County Fermanagh (A6092606) and Norfolk (A6108473).

Hope you enjoy reading them! smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 19

aka Bel - A87832164

Uups, sort of 'stopped' the bits I have complied. So I'll not post it in this thread but do it as an entry ? I've never yet done an entry, that's scarey smiley - blush

Post 20

Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more