This is the Message Centre for aka Bel - A87832164

Keep your fingers crossed

Post 81

h5ringer

That's more good news this week then smiley - biggrin One rung at a time...one rung at a time...

Post 82

aka Bel - A87832164

Yes, I'm really relieved. It was a lot of work and running around, but at least it was worth it in the end. smiley - puff

Oh, I found out something interesting. Must writre another journal smiley - run

Post 83

MadSnacker-h2g2 ambassador to Yorkshire and the UK

smiley - applause

Happy news,Bel...hope all continues to move foward.

Post 84

aka Bel - A87832164

So do I, MS. smiley - hug

Post 85

MadSnacker-h2g2 ambassador to Yorkshire and the UK

smiley - smoochsmiley - hug

Post 86

aka Bel - A87832164

In case anybody is still subscribed to this journal, here's an update:

The first block of school was finished a bit more than a week ago. Towards the end, he had two exams to write.

Last week was work practice, and today was one day of school.

He got the results for his exams: he passed both with the highest marks. smiley - biggrin

He is very pleased, naturally. So am I. smiley - biggrin

Post 87

toybox

smiley - bubbly

Post 88

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

smiley - bubbly Good for him!

Post 89

h5ringer

smiley - cheers

Post 90

Little Lost Mammoth

Great smiley - biggrin

How is he enjoying the work?

Post 91

Vestboy

smiley - bubblysmiley - oksmiley - magic

Post 92

You can call me TC

That is such an incentive. Now I feel better, and am sure he will stay the course.

Post 93

You can call me TC

Do congratulate him on our behalf, Bel!

Post 94

aka Bel - A87832164

Will do, TC, thanks. smiley - smiley

Z, he is enjoying it a lot more than he ever enjoyed school. He still says he'd have preferred to work with children, but he's actually quite happy with it all. smiley - smiley

Post 95

Willem

Congrats to him and to you Bel!

Post 96

Z

It's great that he's enjoying it. Here carers in nursing homes are not trained, they are usually very low paid. Some of them do on-the-job qualifications, but these are not very useful.

Some men do the work, but it's very low status work, anad often done by women. Although I have met some devoted and brilliant carers who really enjoy the job, there are many who simply treat it as a low paid unskilled job and try and avoid work. I have had friends who have done this work and really enjoyed it. The carers at my grandmothers nursing home do a wonderful job, and she likes them a lot. They are mainly middle aged women who have cared for their children and elderly relatives.

But I couldn't image an mother in the UK being delighted that her son had a job working in a nursing home, even if they were doing the on-the-job qualification.

Post 97

aka Bel - A87832164

There are two ways here: one is a carer helper which requires one year of education. They're the low-paid jobs done by a majority of people (mainly women). Then there are those jobs which take three years of education and once you're an approved and examined carer, you can do a lot of things - not all are highly paid, though, but the possibility is there. There are a lot fewer men than women doing this job, so male applicants are usually very welcome.

It is a respected job here, as far as I'm aware.

Post 98

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

What your son is doing sounds a lot like what our 'practical nurses' do, Bel. Is it like htat?

Key: Complain about this post