This is the Message Centre for aka Bel - A87832164

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 1

aka Bel - A87832164

I'm not really the passionate smiley - chef, but I cook on most days (fortunately, son #2 cooks on the other days).

Yesterday, there were five eggs to use up if I didn't want to let them go to waste or have them as hard boiled eggs.

Now the family love pancakes, but I don't love standing at the frying pan for hours.

smiley - eureka I remembered that I had once had Yorkshire Pudding (just why it is called pudding is a mystery to me), and that looked and tasted like a pancake. I seemed to recall that the recipes for both didn't vary much, except that one takes you hours, while you only need a few seconds to shove the other in the oven.

So I mixed the pancake dough and added sliced apples because - yes, I needed to use up a few apples, too.

Poured all into a round baking tray and put it in the oven.

Only THEN did I look into my recipe book too find out for how long and at what temperature it needed to be in the oven.

Well, the recipe I found there was a little more different than what I had recalled after all. smiley - biggrin

Never mind, I went ahead with what I had started.

And it was yummy.

Any other dishes I could twist to my needs?

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

That sounds good. smiley - smiley

All I can report is that I got us a deep-frying pan and basket yesterday, and the pommes frites turned out nice.

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

I think I have a very simple (electric) one somewhere. It doesn't need a huge amount of oil, but I don't think you'd be able to buy something similar nowadays - for safety reasons. smiley - laugh

My husband bought a real 'Fritteuse' then one day, with a lid and filter and all, but it needed so much oil, I hardly ever used it.
I gave it away at some point.
But I have a recipe for delicious meat-somethings which are best when deep-fried. I might just look where I have that small fritteuse.

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 4

Hypatia

I love apple fritters, apple crisps, apple cake, apple anything. smiley - drool

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 5

aka Bel - A87832164

I'd give you the recipe, but I have no idea how (if at all) it would work with gluten free flour.

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 6

BMT

I don't experiment anymore, its not economically viable when there's only me to cook for. I tend to opt for ready meals these days. The quality and price for ready meals have improved massively over the last few years that its the best option all round. smiley - biggrin

smiley - cat

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 7

aka Bel - A87832164

I'd probably resort to such meals if I were on my own. Then again, they usually contain too much salt, fat and sugar.

That was the second great thing about my *Yorkshire pudding* - it didn't contain any fat. smiley - biggrin

No salt or sugar, either, bar the sugar the apples contain.

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

smiley - cross
Bel! Yorkshire pudding may vaguely taste like a savoury pancake, but it should never ever resemble one.
smiley - laugh

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 9

aka Bel - A87832164

Well, it didn't exactly look like it - it was a lot fluffier. smiley - biggrin

My sons were VERY suspicious. smiley - laugh

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 10

smiley - rofl Suspicious Yorkshire pudding...sounds like Prof Animal Chaos.

What's in Yorkshire pudding, anyway? The only time I had one (in the US), it was nasty.

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 11

aka Bel - A87832164

Eggs, milk and flour.

http://www.hub-uk.com/tallyrecip03/recipe0124.htm

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 12

smiley - cool Now we have to find out the gluten-free version. smiley - whistle

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 13

aka Bel - A87832164

There are many varieties on the web. You'll need a Brit to tell you.

Where's Mu Beta when you need him?

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 14

KB

Gluten-free Yorkshire Pudding.

1. Break and whisk three eggs.
2. Soak them in a sponge.
3. Bake until crispy.

Feel free to pass the recipe on. smiley - ok

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 15

smiley - roflsmiley - roflsmiley - rofl

That is the best recipe I've ever seen all month. Could you make it into a guide entry? smiley - rofl

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 16

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

i had heard about it often but had absolutely no idea what a yorshire pudding actually was

so imagine my surprise when - instead of a vanilla pudding kind of dessert - my landlady in york served me what appeared to be a danish drowned in gravy smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 17

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

F1926355?thread=620782&skip=580&show=20

eggs! B'Elsmiley - winkeyepost 600smiley - whistle

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 18

See? I told you that was a suspicious Yorkshire pudding from Pontefract. smiley - winkeye

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 19

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - somersaultnatch'smiley - biggrin

Experiments in Cuisine

Post 20

son and daughter liked bread soaked both sides with beaten eggs and then fried - they called it eggy breadsmiley - huh

Key: Complain about this post