This is the Message Centre for aka Bel - A87832164

I'm not impressed

Post 1

aka Bel - A87832164

I tried to sign into h2g2 earlier this afternoon. I got some 500 error, and when I hit the backspace, I suddenly found myself on the settings page with the name field empty. I went back one more step, and my page showed my name and full tag allright, so I hoped it was safe.
Then I read Gnomon's journal and wondered whether there was a connection to what had happened to me this afternoon. I checked again - my full name and tag were shown.

I signed in - and my name was gone. I was just a user number.
Fortunately, I knew about the trick with changing the settings in plain, or else my name would be a lot shorter now.

Like all the other tags which have vanished over the last week or so, my name was not offensive or anything, and I haven't even posted to other BBC sites to prevent myself from losing it.

I hope the exception they promised us for h2g2 will soon be reestablished.

I'm not impressed

Post 2

Vip

It wasn't just h2g2 down, it appeared to be all the boards. It was up and down like a yo yo all day. smiley - sadface

*smiley - run to check Gnomon's journal*

I'm glad you got back in okay.

smiley - fairy

I'm not impressed

Post 3

Hypatia

It seems to be taking a while to iron out the wrinkles. I've had few problems, but I did get a 500 error this morning when I tried to navigate to a conversation.

I'm not impressed

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

Did they do some of their dreadful 'under the bonnet' changes again?

I'm not impressed

Post 5

BMT

Hi Bel, glad you're getting the pc hassles sorted at last. smiley - smiley

Apparently re name issue you don't actually have to post anywhere, if you're already signed into Hootoo and go 'wandering' to other parts of the beeb site that require a sign in then names are either shortened, (as mine was) or modded back to a 'U' number.
I'm not sure how they're going to come up with a site specific fix for this. As far as I can tell the max number characters on hootoo is 50, elsewhere its 30 with no or little punctuation allowed. smiley - erm

smiley - cat

I'm not impressed

Post 6

Icy North

I wouldn't be surprised. smiley - erm

On that subject, did you know they save some of the more complex fixes for the Easter weekend, when they are known as 'under the Easter bonnet' changes smiley - smiley

I'm not impressed

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

It's quite simple.

Although we can use the Plain skin to assign a name that is more than 50 characters, we've been asked not to for the moment. If we do, we are in breach of the house rules, even though this rule isn't written down.

If the moderators spot that our nickname is more than 50 characters, they will reset it to our Unumber.

I'm not impressed

Post 8

aka Bel - A87832164

The funny (or not) thing is, that I didn't even *look* at other BBC pages. I only tried to sign into h2g2.

I'm not impressed

Post 9

toybox

But where is your Tony reference smiley - huh

I'm not impressed

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

I didn't look at non-h2g2 BBC sites either. It's on h2g2 that we're restricted to 50 characters.

I'm not impressed

Post 11

toybox

smiley - smooch

I'm not impressed

Post 12

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I got a 500 error earlier. And I never visit anything but h2g2.smiley - erm

I'm not impressed

Post 13

aka Bel - A87832164

Neither do I. And if I do, I'm not signed in, so they can't know it is me. smiley - erm

I'm not impressed

Post 14

toybox

Who needs anything but h2g2 anyway? smiley - towel

I'm not impressed

Post 15

aka Bel - A87832164

True. I haven't been on facebook all day. smiley - biggrin

I'm not impressed

Post 16

Vip

Um... I feel silly for asking, but could anyone explain to me the Tony Curtis thing? I remember it happening a while back and it seems to be back again, but I don't know *why* it's happening! smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy

I'm not impressed

Post 17

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeyeprobably silly season againsmiley - laughthey also do it near Halloween and it used to bug Pheloxismiley - rose

I'm not impressed

Post 18

KB

As far as I remember, 2legs changed his name to "Tony Curtis" and had it removed for 'impersonating a celebrity'.

Then it became a sort of "I'm Spartacus!" protest, with everybody becoming Tony Curtis.

I'm not impressed

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

Someone, I can't remember who, changed their nickname to "Tony Curtis" and their name was rejected by the moderators because they were impersonating another person. Out of solidarity, everybody on h2g2 changed their name to Tony Curtis.

This time we've partially changed our names to Tony Curtis, as a sign that we are dissatisfied with the 50-character rule, either because 50 is too short or because the moderators are enforcing a rule that they haven't written down or stated.

I'm not impressed

Post 20

aka Bel - A87832164

It's because names/taglines are being moderated for no apparent reason. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post