A Conversation for Talking Point: Superstitions

I'm not

Post 1

NPY

Have to say I'm not what you would call superstitious. I couldn't even tell you half the usual ones anyway.

I know someone who'll salute all the magpies, though never really gave a reason why.

Always wondered where these superstitions came from in the first place. What's gonna happen if you put an uimbrella up in the house anyway? I've done it loads and I've had anything bad happen that seemed to be a direct result. Fair enough, someone could trip over it, but if they're that clumsy they'll trip on anything.

I'm not

Post 2

Sceptical Nick - Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get me.

Putting an umbrella up inside is bad if you've just come in from the rain (water goes everywhere) or if you're in a very small room (you can't move to put it down again).

I'm not

Post 3

NPY

Well at least that's a practical reason for not doing it, rather than some random superstition. I'd normally put mine uop in the gatage anyway where there's room and it'll be ok if the floor gets a bit damp.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more