A Conversation for The Young Researchers' Club

Wake up everybody!

Post 41

Kat - From H2G2

For anyone TERRIBLY interested in what Borderline is go to:

http://www.wardrobehudson.co.uk/public_html/public/html/frameset.html


I've discovered I'll have more that £1.21 left smiley - biggrin In fact...I'll have quite a nice amount left so that's good.

I'm STILL waiting for my surgeon to call me back smiley - steam He'll have to call soon or else I'm going to start sitting on his scretary's phone.

"Some people think I might have mild depression, but that was about a year ago"

Many people find they go through stages of depression and it's very normal. Which isn't to say that it's nothing and isn't evil and beastly, just that you're allowed to get depressed sometimes. Besides...that's what being a teenager is all about smiley - biggrin It's only really a problem when it affects your every day life a lot and goes on for ages. I've suffered from pretty acute depression since the age of 8. Which doesn't mean other people aren't allowed to moan by the way. People always think that they shouldn't moan in front of me because my life is so much "worse". That's not true of course, all problems are important.smiley - cheerup


Kats


Wake up everybody!

Post 42

Atari - Tok'ra (With my symbiote Jullinar)

Okay, I had a short look through, mainly at the part telling you what BPD is and the personal experiences section. That's strange how most people who get it are girls, any idea why?

"I've discovered I'll have more that £1.21 left. In fact...I'll have quite a nice amount left so that's good."

Yay for you, that should helpsmiley - biggrin

"I'm STILL waiting for my surgeon to call me back. He'll have to call soon or else I'm going to start sitting on his scretary's phone."

I take it you're asking for advice and stuff?

"Many people find they go through stages of depression and it's very normal. Which isn't to say that it's nothing and isn't evil and beastly, just that you're allowed to get depressed sometimes. Besides...that's what being a teenager is all about"

Exactly, I wouldn't give up feeling really crapy sometimes with it lets me now when I feel good by comparison.

"It's only really a problem when it affects your every day life a lot and goes on for ages. I've suffered from pretty acute depression since the age of 8."

So are deppresion and BPD something you're born with, something you develop over time with particular circumstances, or a mixture of both? I know it's the first one for Schizophrenia but I'm uncertain about any other conditions.

"People always think that they shouldn't moan in front of me because my life is so much "worse"."

Well, of the few people with mental illnesses I have met, the general attitude I find is that they hate it when people "walk on eggshells" around them, you know, when they act extra extra nice and treat them really differently, so I try not to act like that.smiley - smiley

"That's not true of course, all problems are important."

Thankssmiley - smileysmiley - hug


Wake up everybody!

Post 43

Keseral - lost...

please, carry on, I would just like to note that I am very impressed.... with everything and everyone!smiley - smiley

smiley - hug


Wake up everybody!

Post 44

Kat - From H2G2

*rushes back in*
Sorry I thought everyone had probably got bored hearing all about me!

The surgeon made me feel silly for even wanting to go to America and said to wait until I'd seen him before deciding anything. So...I've got a week to wait.

Depression and BPD are tricky. They aren't quite certain where they always come from. Sometimes it's the way you develop and are brought up. Most BPD sufferers have been abused at some point. BPD is a brain thing where the way you think is different. It means that the way you react to something is often completely the opposite to the way people would normally react. There is also a lot of disassociation (distancing from situations, life, or problems). This means that BPD sufferers often see themselves as the only 'real' person, or have inflated views of themselves or think that the 'rules' are different for them. This is also often in response to abuse, they deal with the situation by pushing it away and pretending it's happening to someone else.
Some people think there may be a biological reason for BPD in some cases...but it's not a sure thing. I REALLY hope it's true though because I've certainly never been abused or had anything bad happen to me so I feel a bit daft.
I'm not entirely sure why more girls develop BPD than guys but it may be something to do with the way girls think and the way they deal with sitations.

Depression...well that can be a chemical thing, when your body has problems with absorbing serotonin.

The brain is made up of millions of interconnected brain cells (neurons). Messages travel along these cells rather like electricity down a wire, but when the message reaches the end of the neuron, it has to jump the gap (synapse) to the next cell or group of cells.

This is achieved by the neuron releasing tiny amounts of a chemical (neurotransmitter) into the gap between the nerve cells.

The receiving neuron has many places on its surface which act rather like locks, for which the appropriate neurotransmitter is the key. These are called receptors. When enough of the neurotransmitter has locked on to these receptors, a nerve impulse is started in the new nerve, and thus the message gets from one nerve to the next.

In order to allow the nerve to recover and receive the next message, and in order to replenish stocks of the neurotransmitter in the original neuron, ready to send the next message, the body has a clever way of removing the neurotransmitter from the receptors, and allowing it to be taken back into the originating nerve (re-uptake).

In depression certain neurotransmitters are relatively lacking. One of those is serotonin, and it can mean that the chemical isn't hanging around long enough for the impulse to be sent. This results in a slow, down, crappy mood.
Sorry for the long explanation there.

On the other hand...depression is a perfectly normal reaction sometimes to situations such as exams, break ups, stagnation of life, general crap whatever. Often it can accidently sort of...spill over, so that you're still depressed even when the situation is okay and people think you should be fine.
You can see various different types of depression etc here:

http://www.depressionalliance.org/docs/help/terms_you_might_hear.html

PHEW! *wipes brow* That was all long and I hope evryone understood it. Anyone got something really normal to talk about? smiley - laugh

Any more questions or anything someone is wondering about?


Wake up everybody!

Post 45

Kat - From H2G2

smiley - erm Oh dear I scared everyone away.

Any new people I find I'm going to direct to this thread seeing as there are so few of us at the minute. Perhaps eventually I'll get my act together enough to move us to a new page so we can get running properly again...any thoughts? anyone want to do it? anyone think it's not worth it? etc...etc...etc

Kats


Wake up everybody!

Post 46

Keseral - lost...


yes....smiley - erm
smiley - lurk


Wake up everybody!

Post 47

Countess Freyja

hello, just thought i'd come gatecrash the conversation.


Wake up everybody!

Post 48

Kat - From H2G2

Hullo! Why don't you tell us something about yourself exciting then?


And yes what? smiley - tongueout


Wake up everybody!

Post 49

Countess Freyja

Something interesting? Uh.. um... I...... um... (I lead a very boring life..) oo! my boyfriend's coming to stay on Thursday. Yay. But thats not interesting.

Okies I'll try be interesting. I love music. Mainly metal. I love almost every type of metal. But industrial is my favourite music genre. Yay for industrial.


Wake up everybody!

Post 50

Keseral - lost...

*does the time warp again*


Wake up everybody!

Post 51

Countess Freyja

yay Rocky Horror

Frank N Furter seems to ooze sexyness despite his campness


Wake up everybody!

Post 52

Keseral - lost...

and I thought It was only me who thought that!smiley - laughsmiley - biggrinsmiley - cool


Wake up everybody!

Post 53

Countess Freyja

http://www.islandentertainmentsonline.com/acatalog/franklrg.jpg

that outfit is damn sexy


Wake up everybody!

Post 54

Keseral - lost...

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh


Wake up everybody!

Post 55

FreedomIsMe

Hi everyone I am new. I am 11 (nearly 12), from London and joined h2g2 about 1 month ago because my uncle ( HappyDude ... "hell bent for leather while living after midnight" ... (have you seen my coxcomb?)...a peripatetical entity ) told me i might like it why didn't i try it, so i did.Uncle Happy suggested that I join the young reasearchers club so that is why I am here.


Wake up everybody!

Post 56

FreedomIsMe

i didn't mean to put the link bio bit in it!smiley - erm


Wake up everybody!

Post 57

Kat - From H2G2

Aw never mind. Glad you're here now. As you can see nothing really proper is happening here right now because the original editor of the place has gone flying off somewhere. So now we only have...5 active people? 2 of whom appear to be talking about...er...whatever they're talking about smiley - winkeye and two of whom have been talking about depression! smiley - yikes Exciting bunch aren't we?

Anyway how is everyone? What are you all up to? I'm in SEATTLE!!! Whoo! I decided in the end that however much my parents are angry about it and regardless of the fact I'll have to go back home and hope for things to change...this way I get to see American things. And boy are things American! It's all very exciting and the novelty of everything hasn't worn off yet...after nearly 4 weeks!

Also on a sideline...am I now too old to be here? When I first joined it said something about being under 18, now I can't find it anywhere, but I just had my 18th birthday. There's so few of us though does anyone mind in a big burning and smiting way?

Kat


Wake up everybody!

Post 58

FreedomIsMe

did/r u havin fun in seattle?smiley - biggrin


Wake up everybody!

Post 59

Kat - From H2G2

Yup! In Chicago right now as went to see friends for Passover dinner, but back in Seattle tomorrow. Then home on the 6th. THEN furious 6 hours of piano each day until my exam (as haven't done ANY practice in 5 weeks) and then I need to hop a ticket to Malaysia to see my grandfather smiley - erm

Where is everyone? It's not even exam season yet!


Wake up everybody!

Post 60

Kat - From H2G2

By the by everyone, I'm going to talk to the italics and get ownership of the page transferred at some point, advertise us in <./>ThePost</.>, talk to the ACEs, that sort of thing.

Anyone got any ideas how we can get more people here? Anyone have requests of what sort of thing we should include? Homework help? Music discussions? Books? Help with real life issues? That sort of thing? All suggestions will be happily taken.

Oh and if anyone thinks it's not worth it then also say that too smiley - winkeye

Kat


Key: Complain about this post