A Conversation for The Young Researchers' Club

YRC: School

Post 1

Kat - From H2G2

Welcome to the school section of the Young Researchers' Club.

Stuck with an essay?
Is your head whizzing from all the maths that's been hurled at you?
Don't know the difference between alliteration and sibilance?
Can't remember who kills whom in To Kill A Mocking Bird?
Don't understand your exam set texts?
Does glaciation have you running for the safety of your bed?

We are here to help you! That doesn't mean we'll do your homework for you, but we'll certainly help explain. If we don't know then we promise to find you someone who DOES. If we don't then you are free to get very cross with us.

Kat


YRC: School

Post 2

Dr. Megabite

I have to write a non-chronological report.
The problem is I don't know what to write about!


YRC: School

Post 3

echomikeromeo

What exactly do you mean by a non-chronological report?


YRC: School

Post 4

Dr. Megabite

A non-chronological report is a report that isn't in time order like most of the H2G2 Guide Entries.


YRC: School

Post 5

echomikeromeo

Ah, I see. Well, what's the assignment exactly? Is it for history or for English or something else entirely? And what are your parameters?


YRC: School

Post 6

Kat - From H2G2

Hmm well hopefully dr M did his homework in the end smiley - winkeye

Anyone ever studied poetry by Philip Larkin? I'm having an awful time of it! Anyone who just happens to be interested, it's a collection called "High Windows". Philip Larkin was a controversial poet from the middle to the end of the last century. He wrote poetry that was very challenging and mocking of the times and had a bitter edge to it. Lots of swearing, talking about death, the cycle of life, loneliness and the like.


YRC: School

Post 7

Wyatt

Are you sure that Phillip Larkin isn't a pseudonym of Marvin? That sounds like the sort of poetry he would write....


YRC: School

Post 8

Kat - From H2G2

It's truly annoying stuff!

An example! http://www.plagiarist.com/poetry/?wid=390


YRC: School

Post 9

Wyatt

Uhh, okay....


YRC: School

Post 10

echomikeromeo

Never read anything by him (except the one you just linked to), but he looks a bit cliché.

That's an essay topic: how writing to shock (which is what it seems Larkin is doing) has been done by so many people that now it doesn't shock anymore.


YRC: School

Post 11

Dr. Megabite

Did my homework eventually


YRC: School

Post 12

echomikeromeo

That's taken a huge load off my mind!smiley - winkeye

Come on, everyone, it's good to do your homework. Just look at the excellent example of this upstanding young Researcher.


YRC: School

Post 13

Kat - From H2G2

I'm doing it I'm doing it!!! I've done MORE than I needed to do for Maths! I'm actually not reeeaaaallllyyyy doing my geography right now though as I'm writing an entry that I started ages and ages ago and really feel I ought to finish. It's about Franz Liszt!


YRC: School

Post 14

echomikeromeo

*cheers for Kat* smiley - applause


YRC: School

Post 15

Elwyn_Centauri, geAt (O+ THS)

smiley - bubbly just finished with my biology lab... w00t!

smiley - wow maths smiley - winkeye

*pass around smiley - cake* this calls for celebration!


YRC: School

Post 16

Kat - From H2G2

Hooray! I never liked biology. I've always had a huge hang-up about the idea of all these things happening inside me. I like to pretend that I'm a being of pure light energy smiley - winkeye


YRC: School

Post 17

Dr. Megabite

Just finished my report...

I got 5 out of 5


YRC: School

Post 18

Kat - From H2G2

Well done! Although making something out of 5 seems a strange way of marking smiley - erm

I'm doing....graph geometry, managing coast lines, and that blooming philip larkin stuff still smiley - wah


YRC: School

Post 19

echomikeromeo

smiley - applause to everyone!

The marking out of 5 thing is common in certain American courses, as Advanced Placement courses are always graded on a five-point scale and 5 remains a popular round number for grading small assignments.

To my extreme surprise, I got full points on the most BS assignment I think I've ever written. Goes to show you what my English teacher is like, I guess.


YRC: School

Post 20

echomikeromeo

I'm supposed to write a satire for school, but I don't feel very satirical at present. Does anyone have any ideas?


Key: Complain about this post