A Conversation for ZAPPA_THE FIRST CHURCH OF APPLIANTOLOGY

Your own personal zappa story

Post 1

dugdog <a.k.a. - corla planktun...buffer of the tiny ruby>

so...turn the spotlight on yourself.....tell all (even lie to make it interesting...)

smiley - martianfrown


Your own personal zappa story

Post 2

superdogmonkey

Ah, back in the mists of time ('78-'79 ?) I went to a Knebworth Festival. The line up was The Tubes, Zappa, Peter Gabriel, Boomtown Rats and others.

At that time I lived in the depths of Essex and planned to spend 3 days hitching to Knebworth.
We put our thumbs out and a lorry-driver kindly took us to the site within 3 hours.
The f*****g stage had not even been built yet!

Of course, we had no option but to drink ourselves into a stupor.

The day of the gig came, we purchased some cheap speed and got ready to *rock*. I should mention that we were die-hard punks at this time.

Zappa came on and faced with a 20 minute solo - we pissed of to the beer tent.

We missed his whole set and were proud of it.

How I look back and curse - That set would of contained most of my favourite songs !!!!!!!!!



smiley - monster


Your own personal zappa story

Post 3

dugdog <a.k.a. - corla planktun...buffer of the tiny ruby>

Funnily enough I worked the knebworth festival that year....seem to remember some roudy punk element in the beer tent speeding their tits off....yes, I remember it well - even hung out with the guys in the band...oh that Ike Willis..what a guy......and Warren - well, the stories I could tell about Warren

ahhhh yes.....9-Sep 1978, Knebworth Festival, England....and there they were

FZ, Ike Willis (out between Oct 14-31), Patrick O'Hearn (October 13-31), Denny Walley, Warren Cucurullo (Halloween guest and spring tour member), Arthur Barrow, Vinnie Colaiuta, Ed Mann, Tommy Mars, Peter Wolf.

I remeber it well....I even made a note of the track-list

Deathless Horsie, Dancin' Fool, Easy Meat, Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?, Pound For A Brown, Bobby Brown, Conehead, Flakes, Keep It Greasey, Village Of The Sun, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, City Of Tiny Lights, Magic Fingers, Yellow Snow Suite, Bamboozled By Love .....

oh and the groupies!!!! wow...

of course I was only 8 years old.........


Your own personal zappa story

Post 4

dugdog <a.k.a. - corla planktun...buffer of the tiny ruby>

yes that popular smiley it's the drink dontcha know.....smiley - winkeye


Your own personal zappa story

Post 5

Jenlappendoomer the Ficticious

I saw him once in the 70's. Not playing, but walking suspiciously along Powis Terrace in London. I was hanging out of a 1st floor flat window at the time. Some friends and I had driven down to stay with other friends and attend the Oz Benefit gig in Hyde Park. Grand Funk Railroad, the 'loudest band in the world' topped the bill, if I remember correctly, and the Pink Fairies were also playing at some point, But I digress.

I was actually sitting on the window sill of my friend's flat, watching the world go by and listening to Procol Harum's 'Broken Barricades' on a superior pair of cans, and there he was, large as life in a nice white suite, sashaying along the road, and then bobbed into a house on the other side of the road, probably to buy some herbal tobacco.

That's it.


Your own personal zappa story

Post 6

dugdog <a.k.a. - corla planktun...buffer of the tiny ruby>

thanks Jenlappendoomer...if anyone who ever saw him posted here...eventually we could peice together every movement of the man throughout his entire public life (or maybe that would be a little anal smiley - winkeye)....

if you fancy joining the ranks post on the 'fetishist' thread and I'll put you on the list.

smiley - martianfrown


Key: Complain about this post