A Conversation for The Nearly but Not Quite 'Official' Peer Review Discussion Forum

Amazed

Post 1

U168592

I really can't get over what has happened in this thread -

F48874?thread=4545853

Is it any wonder there's such a decline in writing for the EG, when a harmless bit of fun and a well written Entry supplies such a farce.

What a mountain out of a mole hill.


Amazed

Post 2

Secretly Not Here Any More

I take it you're referring to the ranting of a Ms Kerfuffle?
Am I reading it wrong, or is she actually asking to re-write history to shoehorn women in where there were no women historically, wants a reference to a historical fact removed because it could offend a seven year old, followed by accusing Jodan (and Gnomon of all people) of having an anti-American and anti-Irish bias??


Amazed

Post 3

U168592

I'm really just referring to the whole debacle. No-one in particular. It puts me off Peer Review, and I'm a bleedin' Scout.


Amazed

Post 4

Mina

I wrote an entry and it has a reference to sex and goats, although not in quite the same context. smiley - biggrin I didn't read the whole PR thread, just the end.


Amazed

Post 5

Secretly Not Here Any More

I hate the way that good entries can have the whole 'soul' of them ripped out by people taking offense. With some of the comments I see in PR today, I'm amazed stuff like the Mengele entry I did got in!

Oh, am I the only person thinking "If you guys can't figure out how inappropriate the phrase "sex with a goat" is, then either you or h2g2 will suffer the consequences." should be quote of the day?


Amazed

Post 6

Icy North

Another example of the Nanny State...


Amazed

Post 7

U168592

Well, as I've never had sex with a goat, or any other cloven hoofed animal, I can't really comment on that side of things. But I don't think it's appropriate to 'stir the pot' as such. The Entry will suffer, Jodan will probably up and leave h2g2 again, and to be honest, I really can't say I blame him if he does. A great loss if that happens, simply because some people can't let bygones be bygones and flog a dead horse (or goat).


Amazed

Post 8

Secretly Not Here Any More

I had to get one little dig in, I just couldn't help myself!


Amazed

Post 9

U168592

You're a baaaad boy.


Amazed

Post 10

U168592

Oh dear, and thus we all resort to really poor puns. smiley - laugh

Ah well.


Amazed

Post 11

Secretly Not Here Any More

Mehhh.

smiley - winkeye


Amazed

Post 12

laconian

'Sex with a goat' inappropriate? If someone has sex with a goat, then write 'sex with a goat' dammit! Or perhaps we could substitute: 'had a relationship in the Sudanese style with a goat'. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4748292.stm


Amazed

Post 13

U168592

smiley - bigeyes

Was it a long engagement?


Amazed

Post 14

Leo

Isn't PR for ranting? smiley - erm Everyone's entitled to yell at the author about whatever they want and the author can decide to ignore it or not.


Amazed

Post 15

aka Bel - A87832164

Nobody should yell at an author (even though there are cases...)


Amazed

Post 16

fluffykerfuffle

smiley - space
i wasn't yelling. i have tried to be very polite and nice.

furthermore, what has happened in that thread has been misrepresented here in this thread:

>>>Am I reading it wrong, or is she actually asking to re-write history to shoehorn women in where there were no women historically, wants a reference to a historical fact removed because it could offend a seven year old, followed by accusing Jodan (and Gnomon of all people) of having an anti-American and anti-Irish bias??<<<


Amazed

Post 17

Secretly Not Here Any More

I asked am I reading it wrong, the word I think you're looking for is "yes." Then you tell us what you really meant.


Amazed

Post 18

Sho - employed again!

I get really miffed at all this "you lot are anti-American" or worse "you lot are too pro-British"

it's a British site, it has British-English as it's language and that's that.

Plus you have to be 13 to sign up, right? which means that fluffywhateverher name is should not let her 7 year old on here without having checked it first. (I know the Gruesomes are NOT allowed on here)

I'd like to do a test: is it ok to write about blowing up kids with cluster bombs in the 21st century?

I like the Somali relations with a goat. Reminds me of the Ugandan discussions so beloved of Private Eye.


Amazed

Post 19

Sho - employed again!

I didn't take it as yelling in that thread, btw. However I did see it as trying to shoehorn something into an entry when the author quite plainly didn't want it done.

Also of interest, Fluffykerfuffle - your PS only shows two convos. This one and the PR one.
smiley - smiley


Amazed

Post 20

Leo

OK, OK. There wasn't yelling. It was discussing. I should have said "throw things at the writer". Better?

I do agree that there were no founding mothers, though. And all the feminists in the world can't change that.


Key: Complain about this post