A Conversation for h2g2 NetHack & Slash'EM Rogues' Guild

Help save my life...

Post 1

Orcus

OK, how's this for an idea for a thread?

I have a character close to death and I would like suggestions on how I might avert this death.

I have a Human Healer St 13, Dx 10 Co 15 In 5 Wi 18 Ch 18
Experience level 10 31 Hit points remainine out of 81 and PW 81 out of 81

My armour class is -2 with a cloak of protection and jumping boots in my kit.

I'm currently on Dungeon level 12 deep in the Gnomish Mines.

I'm wielding Magicbane and have Mjollnir as my alternative weapon.

Not bad I hear you cry. Well currently I've had a Gnome I was bashing read a scroll of create monster and I am suddenly surrounded by 5 Fire Giants, a Wraith, a Gnome, 2 stone Giants, a large dog and a rock mole.

I can' jump anywhere, as all spots are occupied, I'm blind as I just killed off a Master Mind flayer (yes, this level clearly has a polymorph trap somewhere) with a wand of lightning and so I can't read any of my teleportation scrolls (well I could try but I suspect it would waste a move).

I also have a pet baby Silver dragon somewhere and possess a magic whistle.

What could I do? I have two unidentified rings and two unidentified wands but neither are teleportation as I would have spotted that.
I should be able to pray.


As you can tell I've had a good start to this game and don't want to die so any suggestions would be appreciated. smiley - erm

It would be interesting to see other people's predicaments on this thread also.


Help save my life...

Post 2

Ekaterin

You can read an identified scroll while blind. I think you can even read an unidentified scroll while blind, as long as you've seen it at some point. I'd advise you to teleport away and pick the nasties off one at a time. Once your blindness is cured, you will be able to use that wand of lightning to engrave a permanent Elbereth, which will help.

Did the MMF eat your brain? If it did, I'd strongly recommend that you fix up your Int with your unicorn horn. You do know that if they drain Int to below 3 you die from brainlessness, don't you?


Help save my life...

Post 3

Orcus

Ah someone replied, thanks for all that.

Yes it ate my brain but only a little, the wand of lightning was spent trying to kill it otherwise I wouldn't have let it touch me.

I did get out of it anyway as it happens. I used extra healing on myself as the first move and my blindness was cured the next move. One of the fire giants threw a potion of confusion at me and so I was able to level teleport out of there.

I think you can only read identified scrolls blind when you are very lucky can you not?

Incidentally I managed to kill myself rather stupidly in the end. I decided to wield mjollnir as I was researching all the old Gnomish Mines levels (B***dy mind flayer! smiley - grr - guess what it right up there on my genocides list) and stepped on a polymorph trap - one I'd already come across! Because I wasn't wielding Magicbane I was transformed into a mountain nymph.
I mention this because I've never come across this before. Whilst a nymph I got lazy and decided I was going to try and identify and unidentified scroll by reading it while confused. Arse, it was a genocide scroll and the game wiped out all Healers. OOops. However I didn't die as I was a nymph! I just got a message saying "You feel dead inside". smiley - ok

Of course as a nymph I only had 10 hit points and so when that went to zero....

Darn it.


Help save my life...

Post 4

Orcus

Incidentally, I think carving elbereth in the ground would not have been a good idea given the number of hit points I had since the7 giants around me could still have hurled boulders at me. Elbereth does not prevent ranged attacks.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more