A Conversation for Creating papier-mâché masks

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 61

Pimms

It shouldn't be much of a loss to lose the link Schreck. Can't spot anything else needing attention in your subbed copy.

smiley - cheers
Pimms


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 62

SchrEck Inc.

Hey Pimms, I don't know if this part (from 'Evolving the Features') is quite correct:

. Tucks can be made (cutting a slit, and overlapping material to increase curvature), or

. Darts added (again cutting a slit, but widening it into a gap that needs filling with layers of papier-mâché, to decrease curvature).

Isn't it so that tucks decrease (make less) curvature and darts increase (make more) curvature? Or am I wrong here? smiley - smiley


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 63

Pimms

No, I had to figure it out, but my phrasing is correct. Curvature of a circle is equal to the inverse of the radius. Smaller circles bend more sharply, and hence have higher curvature. Curvature is the amount by which a geometric object deviates from being flat.

The way I envisage it is if you take a flat circle and cut a slit to the centre then overlap some of the area you will make a cone - overlapping material makes it less flat - ie increases curvature.

Contrariwise if you take a cone, cut from base to point and flatten it (decreasing curvature) you'll need to add material to fill the gap created.

Another way of looking at it is to imagine your mask is a hemisphere and you make cuts and overlap material - the extreme point you end up with is a smaller thicker (probably a ball) of paper. Going the opposite way making cuts and spreading the hemisphere out you'll achieve a practically flat sheet with many gaps to fill in with darts.
A small ball has a higher rate of curvature to a large one, a very large sphere has a surface which is practically flat (approaching zero curvature).

Does this make clearer the way I was thinking when I described the process?


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 64

SchrEck Inc.

Yes it does - problem was that 'curvature' hadn't the meaning that I expected. smiley - doh Thanks for clarification. smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more