The h2g2 Post 12.08.24

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 12th August 2024

This week's title is Vantage Points. Clockwise from upper left: Closeup of a grasshopper, long shot of a nearly-empty mall, closeup of swann in water grooming, a field of purple flax, a wet, happy, black dog on a rock, the front steps and ornate entry facade of the Brookville, Pennsylvania newspaper office, a historic building, and a male zebra finch sitting on eggs in his nest.

The other night, I was watching a relatively old movie (from the 1990s) about a bunch of New York City newspaper people. They broke a big story and ran down to the press room.

'Go ahead!' said one of them to the other. 'Go ahead and say it. Admit it: you've wanted to say it all your life.'

'Okay,' says Michael Keaton. 'STOP THE PRESSES!'

I was just about to sit down to this editorial introduction when I got a 'stop-press' story.

Stopping the presses isn't nearly as much fun when you're the presses – but hey, it's easier online. And this is a good story. And it involves New York City.

So please read FWR's report, called 'The Kindness of Strangers'. And if anybody knows anybody who was on that ferry, please pass on this piece of good news.

Now back to the regularly-scheduled mayhem.

Galaxy Babe has gorgeous swan photos. Swans are at one and the same time spectacularly beautiful creatures and ferocious menaces that will take a bite out of you as soon as look at you. The nightmare birds of all dachshunds. The cassowaries of Europe. Go enjoy the pretty pictures.

I report from bustling Hooverville and environs. Marvel at the local mall, which would be a good place to stage a meditation marathon. Study the recruiting posters. Then over to Brookville to appreciate some architecture.

Tavaron has a home bird report: she's got some rare budgies. Also, her zebra finches obviously believe in gender equality. You saw it here, folks.

Paigetheoracle shares spectacular views from Scottish waters. He also has a tongue-in-cheek meteorological report, plus other things of interest.

There's cinema, a quiz, some more comical comics stuff, and the usual nonsense from me.

Please read, view, comment, share. And don't forget to send Stuff so we know where you've been, whom you've met, and what you've seen, heard, and done! (Unless it violated international law.)


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.Cover for A Crime Has Been Committed, the latest omnibus book, available from Lulu.
Why should you buy
Proceeds go to site upkeep.
h2g2 fiction?
(Click the pic.)
Plus, they're fun to read!
(Click the pic.)


Quote of the Week:
There's 135,000 humpback whales in the wild, up from just 5,000 in the 1960s. entire rivers like the Thames have sprung back to life after being declared 'biologically dead.' Life has a remarkable power to heal and grow if we stop destroying it.

James Palmer

Hallstatt, Austria.


August Create Challenge:
Remembrance of Summers Past


Video Extra:
Catwalk
Click here in Ripley


FOR THE BIRDS
A Boxful of New Budgies

A box of young budgies.

NO BIRDBRAINS HERE

THAT'S OUR STORY AND
WE'RE STICKING TO IT


Chapter 29
Incident on a Small Island

Lives of the Gheorghenis by DG.

OUTDOOR SHOTS



Escaped Toadlet
Series of images of a toad by Paigetheoracle.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
SMALL TOWN MOMENTS


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88052655

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more