The h2g2 Post 11.12.23

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 11th December 2023

 This week's theme is Holiday Visitors. Clockwise from upper left: The bottom end of a bird as seen through a screen window threatening to poop on the photographer, a brown-and-grey-striped tabby cat napping in a ball, a freshly-baked pecan caramel pumpkin pie, a man dressed as Santa with a red-and-black plaid waistcoat and impressive white beard, Conan the shepherd-Huskie mix in snow, Luna, the black puppy surveying the damaged weir, and a snow-sprinkled woodland path with wheel tracks.

What visitors drop in at your place around the holidays? Even in early December, our reporters have Seen Some Things. You may find some of them hard to believe, but we have photographic evidence.

Yes, h2g2 has birders. Wildlife expert and painter Willem is ready to tell you about the orange ground thrush. But most bird sites only show you the glamour of birds: you know, them posing fetchingly in a berry-filled bush, preening their feathers, stuff like that. We, on the other hand, get up close and personal and down to the nitty-gritty. Caiman reminds us that these birdies poop. Take that, Audubon Society.

Another fearless environmental campaigner is Luna the dog (short for 'lunatic', Paige says). In this issue you can see her inspecting Scottish flood damage and supervising Paige's repair work. Look and learn.

Nature has been doing a lot of kinetic things lately – so much, in fact, that we've decided to hold a mini-film festival in these pages. Snow and ducks feature prominently. Also the ever-photogenic Conan, Tavaron's shepherd-huskie mix. He's personality-plus, even if he did assault the cinematographer.

Christmas stuff, you say? Need you ask? There are comestibles. There are decorations. (Some of them are non-standard.) There's even a Santa. Of course, our animal friends are in there pitching. Or sleeping.

We have holiday lore and some Christmas carols you may not know about. We will educate and amuse you. In the meantime, drop by Bluebottle's ongoing graphic novel madness to see what's happening as they get ready for the church fête.

Consumer warning: Awix liked the Napoleon movie. It has horses and hats. Lots of hats. Since my Twitter feed is full of analyses by outraged historians, I found this amusing. Don't expect a ninja review from me because I'm not sitting through all that. I'd rather go back and watch the Yorkshire-accented version or sing a commemorative chorus of 'The Battle of New Orleans'. But you're sure to enjoy Awix's review of this one.

Anything going on at your house? Take a picture. Send me video clips! Write a story, poem, or recipe for us. Expand our horizons.

Have a great week, and try not to get too tangled in the tinsel and wrapping paper. Noel, y'all.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.
You have a friend who
NEEDS THIS BOOK.
Buy it now!



Quote of the Week. I saw a policeman I knew, sitting on a trunk inside a railway station. I asked him how he was doing. He said he couldn't talk now as he was on a case.

Paigetheoracle demonstrating why the Post Editor is afraid to open emails.
Woolly mammoth and offspring in a snowglobe.


December 2023 Post Challenge:
All Things Holiday


Video Extra:
Thanksgiving Kitties
Click here in Ripley


NATURE: FUNNY LOOKS
Orange Ground Thrush

Orange Ground Thrush by Willem.

INSIDE LOOKS

SHOWTIME:
h2g2 GOES TO THE MOVIES


Carol Time

Old illustration of children in snow.


CHRISTMAS IS COMING




Cupcakes!
Cupcakes with sugar flowers on top, by Galaxy Babe.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
CONTEMPLATIVE


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88037922

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more