The h2g2 Post: 09.03.20

1 Conversation

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 9th March 2020

We're Thinking

The Pale Blue Dot by NASA

I realize that no one who knows about the Hitchhiker's Guide would take entries like this seriously but the tone [bleep]s me off…

A Twitter User

No, we won't tell you which Entry that was. Or the handle of the Twitter user. But yeah, that [bleep]ed us off, too. Aside from objecting to our tone, the user didn't think we should discuss a theory he considered, probably rightly, to be 'fringe', because 'conspiracy-minded thinking is as contagious as a [bleep]ing virus.' (Twitter's language is sometimes indecorous, unlike ours. And not just because of the filther.) Now, we object to the notion that we can't discuss things lest somebody out there is silly enough to believe foolish things. If we thought that, we'd have to stop inquiring into the nature of Life, the Universe, and Everything, because there is ample evidence on the internet that foolishness is a fairly common commodity on this planet. It is our humble belief that the antidote to foolishness is more inquiry, not less.

Anyway, just because people have PhDs doesn't mean somebody died and left them in charge of Truth.

What we're all about, friends, is the Process: noticing, asking, inspecting, learning, following through. Not being satisfied with the Trend of the Week, the Daily Soundbite, or the Opinion du jour. This is our business. Let's go about it right now. You will soon find that expressions like ' fledge, exhibition spaces, value enjoyment,' and 'blood in the gutter' have entered your vocabulary.

Icarus, Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • Factoid Fred (Paige) has been exploring. He reports back in with some mural art and an objet d'histoire that led to an interesting discussion. We've let you in on it.
  • Several Researchers have taken up this month's challenge to find missing elements in our environment. Tavaron notes that Vienna's way ahead of the game, having made a significant improvement quite a while ago. Superfrenchie's exterior decoration find is much more recent: we're sure that TV set added to the ambience, at least in the sense of Rene Magritte. Solnushka believes we need more fantasy to liven up a Moscow winter, and she's found it. You're going to love this.
  • Our photographers have found: birds, flowers, greenery, a sunset, water, boats, and bizarrely translated instructions. Let them delight and enlighten you.
  • The Usual Suspects are informative: Awix on cinema (you won't be able to wait to not-see this movie), Willem on wildlife (it's iridescent!), me on what comics can teach writers, Bluebottle on fashion and knuckle-dragging. Read and learn.
  • There's humour sprinkled in, and a bit of music for your listening pleasure, and a quiz to puzzle you, and a caption challenge for the obligatory graffiti. Come participate.



Send more Stuff, people. This issue is short on cats, dogs, and tree roots. We are actively soliciting more signs and Create contributions. These things go out on Twitter, you know. We'll show them 'tone'. Have fun out there. And have a great week!


Quote of the Week: Thoughts should be free as Fire or Wind;

The Pinions of a Single Mind

Will thro' all Nature fly...


Isaac Watts




Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com



Create March 2020 by Freewayriding
March Create Challenge:
Exterior Decorating
Improve the World with One Suggestion!


Dmitri Gheorgheni

OUTDOOR EVENTS

INDOOR ACTIVITIES


THE WORLD IN BLACK AND WHITE


Euphorbia

Euphorbia by Superfrenchie


ENTERTAINMENT




Video
Snowy Night
THINGS YOU NEED, THINGS YOU DON'T
EYE (AND EAR) OPENERS


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87969181

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more