Suzie Q's Bakewell Tart

1 Conversation

Suzie Q's Bakewell Tart

Bakewell Tart Cornwall by Cactuscafe

You've heard of Chekhov's gun? Meet Chekhov's tart.

This is a Bakewell Tart that Cactuscafé photographed in Cornwall. In the best internet tradition, she has photographed her food to share with us virtually. It looks tasty. SashaQ, note the heart.

In the absolutely best Suzie Q Ferguson tradition, Cactuscafé has left it to the Editor to look up 'Bakewell tart'. Looking up 'Bakewell' in the Edited Guide yields this fascinating Entry on Well Dressings of the English Peak District, which is the most British Guide Entry title we can think of.

So, for the benefit of those hitchhikers who do not happen to hail from the Sceptred Isle1: Bakewell is a place in Derbyshire, pronounced 'Darbyshire'. It is not in Cornwall. Bakewell is famous for its puddings and tarts. I guess the confection was so popular that the recipe has been smuggled into foreign territories, even Cornwall.

Aha! you say to yourself, mayhap, That's why it's called Bakewell!

If you think that, friend, you do not know the English.

Bakewell's name comes from the Anglo-Saxon. Some guy named Badeca had a well. (They mumbled a lot in Derbyshire.) We don't know if Badeca's wife was a good cook.

Café Dreams Archive

Cactuscafe

25.03.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Yes, Bluebottle, we know that phrase would be better used to describe the Isle of Wight.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87934189

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more