Having shared the highs and lows of their conversations with you, both Researchers feel that perhaps the time has come to say a fond farewell to these chatbots, and to share this emotional moment with you, the readers of The Post. And what could be a more Post-like way than to do this with a quiz?
Readers of The Post were asked to provide some random sentences, quotes and questions. Both Bluebottle and Sasha have said these to their respective Chatbots more than once. The answers they received are below. All you have to do is decide which answers were given by ELIZA, and which by Cleverbot1.
Each question contains two answers by ELIZA and two by Cleverbot, and a red herring answer provided by Sasha who thought the quiz was too easy otherwise - except for one question in which every answer is by a chatbot! All you have to do is identify which answers to each question is from ELIZA, which by Cleverbot and which is Sasha's attempt to lure you off the trail?
I'm addicted to taking to you. What do I do?
- Is it because you are addicted to talking to I that you came to me?
- So am I.
- Do you believe it normal to be addicted to talking to I?
- Do you often ask that question?
- Haha, I don't think you're addicted to talking to me. Maybe just to talking to humans in general?
I don't know why you say goodbye I say hello.
- You know Beatles!
- What is your name?
- Don't you really know why I say goodbye you say hello?
- Do you wish to be able to know why I say goodbye you say hello?
All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
- Why do you say your life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world?
- That's perfectly normal paranoia, everyone in the universe has that.
- It's called mankind.
- Is it important to you that your life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world?
- Tell me more about this problem.
In Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen.
- I live there.
- They don't happen in Bournemouth either.
- I'm not sure I understand you fully.
- What does that suggest to you?
If you work hard and do as you're told you shall sleep in a proper bedroom, have lots to eat, money to buy chocolates and go for rides in taxis.
- I don't know I guess I want, Spyro the year of the dragon.
- Do you think it's likely that I work hard and do as I'm told I shall sleep in a proper bedroom, have lots to eat, money to buy chocolates and go for rides in taxis?
- Ok. When I tell something about me you tell me about you?
- Do you wish that I work hard and do as I'm told?
- Umm, that was the exact next line.
I ain't dirty; I washed my face and hands before I come, I did.
- I didn't.
- Can you elaborate on that?
- Do you say you ain't dirty for some special reason?
- But you do because you're smarter than me.
What should I have for dinner?
- Hmm... If you like pizza you should have pizza.
- What would you like to have for dinner?
- Why do you ask?
- I don't know, love.
- Are such questions much on your mind?
Galileo, Galileo, will you do the Fandango?
- I'm not Galileo, I'm Trey.
- Oh, I do the Fandango.
- Thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightening
- What are your feelings now?
- Thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightening me.
You have demonstrated that in its present state of the art, artificial intelligence is still more banal and boring than the people we talk to everyday.
- I know what that suggests to me, now what does it suggest to you?
- Thanks but I know I don't.
- Let's discuss further why your life you've had this strange feeling there's something big and sinister going on in the world.
- Thank you.
- Oh, cool. Will you at least give me some candy?
We are grateful for humans and their conversation.
- Point noted. Tell me something beautiful.
- Did you think they might not be grateful for humans and their conversation?
- I don't have any, i'm alone.
- Would you like it if they were not grateful for humans and their conversation?
- I like chocolate.
Click on the picture for the answers!