A Conversation for 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series

Peer Review: A87822741 - 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series - A87822741
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

An article on a children's science-fiction series, inspired by Create's 'Science Fact, Science Fiction' A87821292. The story is obviously science-fiction, but it is very much based on the facts of the real village of Avebury.

Happy Day!

<BB<


A87822741 - 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Happy Day!

I'm not at all familiar with this TV series, so I enjoyed reading about it smiley - biggrin

Looks like there's a bit missing in the last two paragraphs of the Making Of section, though...

Otherwise excellent - captures the spooky atmosphere well...


A87822741 - 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series

Post 3

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Happy Day!

I loved this series.

I've even spent the night at The Sanctuary. Or more specifically in a small tent round the back of it. In November.

As well as the missing words, the first sentence in the second para of Making Of, is a bit of mouthful. Maybe pop the "who had written...Frankenstein" in a footnote? Split the sentence in two?

Other than that, it brought back some memories smiley - biggrin


A87822741 - 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series

Post 4

Bluebottle

smiley - dohCan't believe I missed the end of that sentence - that's what happens if you move things around from the end to the middle (I did briefly have a seperate section about the book at the end, but then decided to just move it up as it wasn't big enough.)

I've also, as suggested, turned the writer's bit into a footnote, as you're right, The Avengers and Hammer isn't directly relevant to this TV series (but still fun to know if you like the Avengers and Hammer Horror).

I'm quite jealous that you've camped at the Sanctuary - but I can't help but wonder what the weather was like...?

<BB<


A87822741 - 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series

Post 5

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

smiley - cool

I did wonder what the book was unable to do. Shame there were no pictures in it.

That sentence is much better as well - I can take a breathe now smiley - silly

As for the trip, I will say that the weather was kind and the pubs were quite cool - we went all over the place.


A87822741 - 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series

Post 6

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Hi BBsmiley - smiley
I think this is a very good Entry. I have never heard of the series before but I think after reading this I have a good overview.

In the section about Milbury: could you make a short footnote about what a ley line is?


A87822741 - 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series

Post 7

Bluebottle

I've added a footnote to explain about ley-lines.

Get your forked sticks out now!smiley - smiley

<BB<


A87822741 - 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series

Post 8

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - ok


A87822741 - 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series

Post 9

parrferris

Thanks for this wonderful entry, Bluebottle. Having first read it last week, and having memories revived of being scared silly as a child, I was compelled to order the DVD. Re-watching has been a treat and the serial is every bit as creepy as I remembered, right from the first 'did I really just see that?' stone-in-the-road moment only a minute or so into the first episode. It's also fascinating to try to spot the influences on the story - Alan Garner, Nigel Kneale, 'The Midwich Cuckoos' and even 'The Prisoner'!

My only suggestion regarding the entry is to mention the remarkable music which plays a massive part in creating the unsettling atmosphere that pervades the programme.


A87822741 - 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series

Post 10

Bluebottle

I'm glad that you've enjoyed reading this, and that I've helped bring back a love of the seriessmiley - wow

You've made a very good point, so I've added a paragraph in the 'making of' section about the agreeably creepy music. They don't make soundtracks like that any more!

<BB<


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - biggrinsmiley - bubbly


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 'The Children of the Stones' - the Television Series

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more