The Post Cheese Quiz - Answers

0 Conversations

I squeeze, you squeeze, we all squeeze Velveeta cheese...

The Post Cheese Quiz: Answers

Bread and Dutch Cheese, a photograph by Lanzababy

How well do you know your cheeses? You can check the answers here.

Remember: the Edited Guide, though erudite (always!), is also opinionated. If you feel your favourite comestible has been dissed, feel free to argue with the Author. Do NOT, as you did with the 'Made in the UK' quiz, complain to the Editor. The Editor did not write any of these Guide Entries.

  1. 'Cheddar remains the most widely-purchased and eaten cheese in the world.' It's true, according to Cheddar Cheese.
  2. 'To be given the name Stilton, a cheese is required, in addition to being made from local milk within Derbyshire, Leicestershire or Nottinghamshire, to be of the standard cylindrical shape, with delicate blue veins forming a radial pattern around the centre of the cheese.' Enjoy Silton Cheese. (In moderation.)
  3. 'As Greek as pi, feta cheese is the soft, crumbly, briny, virginal-white, ewes-milk cheese without cubes of which a Greek salad would be but tomatoes and cucumber on a plate.' This is the opinion of the author of Feta Cheese. Some of us insist that feta is good by itself, with a drizzle of olive oil. Goes great alongside your melitzanosalata in a course of mezes.
  4. 'Strictly speaking it isn't [cheese], but next to cross country skiing and trolls there are few things more Norwegian than an open-faced sandwich of Brunost.' Read about the wonders of Brunost – Norwegian Brown Cheese.
  5. 'Camembert is named after the French Normandy town whose inhabitants claim somewhat dubiously to have 'invented' it during the French Revolution in the late 18th Century, having at some stage fed some to Napoleon and passed it off as their own.' This somewhat snarky take on Camembert Cheese courtesy of the irrepressible Trout Montague.
  6. '...you should be an owner of a microwave – the more powerful, the better.' In order to make the perfect cheese sandwich. See The Art of Westphalian Cheese Toasting.
  7. 'What cheesemakers want to avoid is uncontrolled fungal invasion and moisture loss, so some kind of barrier is needed to keep mould spores out and moisture in. ' This is why you find yourself Waxing a Cheese. (Aren't you glad you know that?)
  8. 'Known to have come in aerosol form until it was no longer fashionable, and sometimes still available in a way similar to shaving cream dispensers, presently Cheese Whiz is best found in American supermarkets in glass jars, plastic squeezable bottles, and in the cellulite of several million American bodies. ' Read – if you dare –   Cheese Whiz – An American Delicacy.
  9. 'Parmigiano Reggiano is made at a small Italian farm, and the process begins with cows. They eat a special diet of grass and hay.' Find out more about Parmigiano Reggiano – aka Parmesan Cheese.
  10. 'Otherwise known as 'cheese in a box', Velveeta cheese is an American phenomenon and joins aerosol cheese as the only cheese products that are so incredibly fake it doesn't require refrigeration.' That stuff is cheese? We always thought it was jellied soup with attitude. If you want a cheap nacho recipe, try Velveeta Cheese. Courtesy of the Edited Guide and Mikey the Humming Mouse.

How did you do? Boast of your knowledge to your friends. Share this quiz on your favourite social media. Didn't see your favourite cheese titbits? Consider writing your own Guide Entry. There must be many more miraculous combinations of curds and whey out there to be sampled.

A cultural note: your Editor wrote this quiz while eating New York Extra Sharp Cheddar. So sue me: I'm in the US, and you can't get decent feta.

A piece of blue cheese with a knife stuck in it.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

01.07.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87800222

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more