A Conversation for A Beginner's Guide to Air Travel

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A87730257 - How to Get Along in an Airplane

Post 1

Pelegrhino

Entry: How to Get Along in an Airplane - A87730257
Author: Pelegrhino - U14994864

I need some comments about this entry before submitting it to PR. What do you guyzes think? I also feel bad about having no links.


A87730257 - How to Get Along in an Airplane

Post 2

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Hi Pelegrhino


I spend a lot of time flying back and forth to the UK to visit family - so some of this make sense to me and you've got some good advice in your start of an Entry.

You can take a look at one I recently wrote about luggage here, which may give you some more ideas on layout.

A87709387

Can I ask you to take out the sleeping pills suggestion? I would mention it just once perhaps, as it is not essential to sleep on short haul flights, and may in fact even be dangerous as blood pressure and so on change at altitude. I wouldn't want to be drugged if I was in a cabin unless it was essential that I was asleep.

Also, unless the flight is of a long haul nature - it is generally the sort of aircraft that only has two types of seats, standard and extra legroom. 'Extra legroom' provides just that, a few extra centimetres to stretch your legs.

If you are a frequent flyer the airline will upgrade you without charge, otherwise you pay a premium for the priviledge of sitting there.

Disabled passengers get additional help for free, and are usually placed in these extra legroom seats, but you have to notify the airline in advance.

I could say a lot more. But I will wait for the views of others before I offer more suggestions.


A87730257 - How to Get Along in an Airplane

Post 3

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

ps I appreciate that English is not ( probably) your first language? Where are you from?

I wonder if you find the gadget that lets your browser check the spelling, and enable English spelling on it please? That will save me pointing out the various typos and misspellings.


A87730257 - How to Get Along in an Airplane

Post 4

Pelegrhino

Thanks!

Haha yeah. I am from Israel, I didn't think it was that bad though. Apparently chrome does not know how to spell-check...

I took the sleeping pills out, I agree with you, I just got stuck with the idea, happens, and I will look into traveling light once I have some more time.

Thanks for helping smiley - smiley


A87730257 - How to Get Along in an Airplane

Post 5

Pelegrhino

Right now I made some corrections, additions, and changes. What do you think?


A87730257 - How to Get Along in an Airplane

Post 6

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I can see a lot of improvement smiley - smiley I think people who are travelling will like to see the types of aircraft listed.

I am not convinced you need to begin your Entry with a sentence trying to explain the theory of flight, nor the short paras to do with the cockpit,the wings and tail. - It would be smoother if you considered a broader introduction with a link to this Entry? A641233

Then for the next section I would suggest that you take out the flight deck, wings and tail sections. I would rename this section - "Passenger Accommodation on a Plane"

It used to be possible to enter the flight deck from the passenger cabin, but since the advent of terrorism and enhanced security we are excluded nowadays.

smiley - biro Buisness Class --> Business

smiley - biro Economy class rarely has tv's and sometimes even electricity.

This sentence doesn't make sense, do you mean

Economy class rarely has television screens or even electric sockets.

smiley - biroSome planes have wifi.

Are you absolutely certain? All flights that I have been on have insisted we turn off all wireless equipment? Of course I have never travelled business or first so I cannot say - but I am doubtful if economy provides wifi at all.

smiley - biro one bay choose to upgrade to business class. --> may choose

smiley - biro On business trips one would most likely travel with some tablet or phone, and a laptop.

--> On business trips one would most likely travel with a phone, a laptop or some type of tablet.

smiley - biro (or economy for larger groups) seat, some movies or a book.

I am not convinced the bracketed part mentioning large groups fits into this sentence. It seems a bit of an added comment. Perhaps you might like to have a complete section on advice for travelling in groups? Often airlines charge extra to ensure that you're all sitting together, which is a bit of a rip-off, but there are other airlines that let you choose your seats for free, and sometimes there are other alternatives.

smiley - biroAnother good accompaniment to such a flight is a laptop or some work.

-- laptop and some work. ?

smiley - biro Long flights usually last for over twelve hours and up to more than a day

I think this sentence is a bit cumbersome - how about just

Long haul flights last for over twelve and sometimes even up to twenty four hours.

The section entitled "To find out what plane you are on" Are you sure of this? I don't think you're correct. I fly with Monarch and their flight start with ZB and the flight number applies to the time of the flight not the aircraft.

Also, Concorde no longer flies smiley - sadface which is a great pity.

Your section entitled "If" is a good conclusion, but I suggest you rename it "In Conclusion" or something of your own choice.

smiley - biro food such as soup-in-a-cup

not sure about this - if it needed hot water would the cabin crew provide it? I would suggest a sandwich, or chocolate smiley - laugh

In fact, if I have room in my hand luggage I often pack a whole picnic to save the cost of the airline meal - plus the airline meals are often overpriced and not terribly good.

In conclusion, I think this is good advice for air travellers who are not frequent flyers. I think it will make a good addition to the Edited Guide smiley - biggrin

I am very glad you've become a member of h2g2 Pelgrhino!

Lanzababy smiley - zensmiley - island


A87730257 - How to Get Along in an Airplane

Post 7

Pelegrhino

:~)

I have actually managed to go on a wi-fi flight but I could not connect. It is in the whole plane (they can't give wireless access in only parts of the plane) but it costs money. They also let me make soup on the plane this summer and it saved me a very hungry stomach. I am not sure they will always agree to give you hot water though, but they do serve coffee and tea so why not?

I want to add something to the group flight section but I am not sure what yet.

The "To Find Out What Plane" part, maybe. I know that BA stands for British Airways and AA is usually american but it may be different in some airlines. I will try to look into this more.

I also added a little of things that might not be allowed on a flight. There may be more though


A87730257 - How to Get Along in an Airplane

Post 8

Bluebottle

I like this article and can see it being a useful addition to the guide.
Things you may wish to consider mentioning are possibly a little explanation on the different types of aeroplane – ie what is the difference between jet aircraft and propeller/turboprop aircraft?

<BB<


A87730257 - How to Get Along in an Airplane

Post 9

Sol

I liked this - there's a lot of really useful, succinctly put info here - but I thought it would work better with a title change to something like 'a beginner's guide to flying'. I was expecting a piece about how to co-exist with fellow passengers, especially potentially annoying ones.


A87730257 - How to Get Along in an Airplane

Post 10

Pelegrhino

Can I add that bit as a section because I like the idea? 'A Beginners Guide to Flying' is nice too :~) or maybe 'flying for dummies' but that might be copyright


A87730257 - How to Get Along in an Airplane

Post 11

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I think a paragraph as Solnushka suggested would be ideal.

How about 'A Beginner's Guide to Air Travel' for the title?


A87730257 - How to Get Along in an Airplane

Post 12

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

> 'A Beginner's Guide to Air Travel'

I like this one. It's simple and clear. There's no confusion as to what it might mean.

TRiG.smiley - biggrin


A87730257 - A Beginner's Guide to Air Travel

Post 13

Bluebottle

I think that you should begin considering moving this into Peer Review now - it would be a shame if this article is left here.

<BB<


A87730257 - A Beginner's Guide to Air Travel

Post 14

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

This is more than good enough to shift to PR, but should there be a specific paragraph for cabin crew added?

Looks very good, I'll pop back in once you've made it to PR smiley - ok


A87730257 - A Beginner's Guide to Air Travel

Post 15

h2g2 Guide Editors

the author seems to have elvised.

So, Flea Market or back to entry?

As FM is so full, maybe it's fairer to put this back to entry in case the author ever wants to return and send it to Peer Review himself?


A87730257 - A Beginner's Guide to Air Travel

Post 16

h2g2 Guide Editors

Test


A87730257 - A Beginner's Guide to Air Travel

Post 17

Bluebottle

Flea Market is full - but being emptied. smiley - winkeye
I think we can make room for articles that are good enough to deserve a chance of being rescued.

<BB<


A87730257 - A Beginner's Guide to Air Travel

Post 18

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Unlike quite a few entries currently in FM, this entry has both enough meat and enough quality that making it into an entry would not be akin to making a whole entry, so i think it deserves a chance to get into FM - if it actually can be put in there


A87730257 - A Beginner's Guide to Air Travel

Post 19

Milla, h2g2 Operations

(test comment, but can verify that some airlines now do have wifi, I think Norwegian even has free wifi)

smiley - towel


A87730257 - A Beginner's Guide to Air Travel

Post 20

Bluebottle

Flea Market proposal secondedsmiley - ok

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post