A Conversation for Night

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A87730040 - Night

Post 1

Pelegrhino

Entry: Night - A87730040
Author: Pelegrhino - U14994864

I started writing this some time ago but I still do not feel it is finished. I would love to ask with some help in filling up the gaps(see footnotes) and maybe making it look a little neater.

Thanks much,

Pelegrhino


A87730040 - Night

Post 2

Pelegrhino

I am moving this into collaborative writing because it is not ready for here yet.

Sorry.


A87730040 - Night

Post 3

Pelegrhino

I can not move it :O It will have to stay here for now.


A87730040 - Night

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

There is no collaborative writing workshop, it was discontinued a few years back.

Thanks for writing this, but I can see a few problems with it.

1. Although this is the Earth edition of a Guide to the Galaxy, we can assume for the moment that all the readers are from Earth. We haven't yet encountered any alien cultures so we should try and write for our intended audience.

So you don't need to talk about more than one sun, although you could put it as a interesting aside that on planets with more than one sun, night would be the time when all the suns were down.

2. The entire Guide is giving recommendations on places to go, things to see etc, so the end of an Entry on night is not the place for you to provide these recommendations.

3. Some smaller problems:

"making love" and "mating" are the same thing, so you don't need to list them twice

Quarter of an hour - in many parts of the world, it takes a lot longer than that for it to get dark after the sun sets. Where I live, it is normally bright for about an hour after sunset and for about an hour before sunrise.


A87730040 - Night

Post 5

U168592

making love and mating are the same thing?

I beg to differ. Not every time I make love to my wife am I intending on procreation, we do it for the pure enjoyment.


A87730040 - Night

Post 6

Pelegrhino

Should I delete the places-to-go part and leave only the beginning or won't that be too short?


A87730040 - Night

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

We worry more about quality than about length. But you're right, it might be a bit brief. You could look for more night-related things to add to the entry, rather than turning it into a complete guide to Earth.

It's certainly worth stating that some species sleep at night, some during the day, and some do both, only being active at dawn and dusk.

You could add something on where you might go to if you need to sleep at night.

You could talk about the long winter nights (particularly in more northerly climes) and what people do to occupy them - story telling, ghost stories, etc.


A87730040 - Night

Post 8

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Maybe you should write a bit about animals that are active at night or plants that open their flowers at night and such? What are the reasons for being active at night and what are the most usual strategies or most interesting ones to cope? (bats, owls, lemurs, cats...)

We seem to have a whole Entry about sleep and teenagers by the way. And I recently read or maybe saw on TV something (I apologize if it was here on h2g2) about how the night and also sleeping patterns changed when there were more and more streetlights in cities. Obviously people used to sleep in 2 sessions. There are references in literature about that and I think also experiments, but I'm not sure.
I've also half-seen some stuff about what would happen if there would be no night (overheating of the planet etc) so maybe that's worth mentioning too although it seems obvious, I don't know.
You could talk about the long nights at the poles and what happens then and how people cope there. Maybe the northern lights are good to mention too, I'm sure there's an Entry to link to.

Maybe I can think of more later.


A87730040 - Night

Post 9

Bluebottle

Pelegrhino has smiley - elvised. Back to Entry?

<BB<


A87730040 - Night

Post 10

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

agreed


A87730040 - Night

Post 11

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

smiley - book I might be tempted to play with this one, requires almost a complete re-writing, but could be a great additon to the guide with a little work. The 'graveyard shift', jobs that must be done around the clock. Twilight in the tropics and northern zones. A scary time or a time of peace?
There are several 'night' links and several of GBsmiley - diva links could fit in.

If no-one else wants it I may grab it, with proper acknowlagement of course!

smiley - cheers

Fsmiley - dolphinS


A87730040 - Night

Post 12

Bluebottle

Well, as we have someone interested in it, then I'll change my proposal to Flea Market, allowing you to do a Flea Market Rescue, Fsmiley - dolphinS!

Just need someone to second that.

<BB<


A87730040 - Night

Post 13

h2g2 Guide Editors

smiley - biro moved to Flea Market


A87730040 - Night

Post 14

Bluebottle

Okay, Fsmiley - dolphinS, just go along to F74125?thread=8299323 and register your interest, and go ahead and do a Flea Market Rescue! Have you done one before?

<BB<


Key: Complain about this post