A Conversation for h2g2 Art Challenge: New Page

Wow CC.

Post 1

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

This is truly an AWESOME picture. You are very talented. I bet there are professional photographers that would envy you for this one.


Wow CC.

Post 2

minorvogonpoet

This is a stunning picture, cc. smiley - applause I have no idea how you did it.

But can you explain what it depicts? Or am I taking Dmitri's request to 'define your mental space' too literally? smiley - erm

I thought he meant some kind of illustration of the stuff that goes on in our minds. In which case, I'm a bit baffled (not for the first time.)


Wow CC.

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Before cc shows up to give you the artist's statement, let me play audience here and share my (admitted naive) view of what the picture says to me.

The title is 'New Page'. I makes me think of a page turning. Now, that has mental associations: life as a book, changes as turning pages, etc. Or the idea of the worlds books make in the mind - one kind of mental space.

The leaf that is turning is folded, like a curtain. That makes me think of the idea of unveiling. There's a marble quality, too, in the curl of the leaf. I think of things that change, and things that do not change.

This may be far from the artist's intent, I don't know. But I find studying the picture a great experience.

Mental spaces could be defined any way you like. I defined a mental space by using a picture of a lot of lorikeets in a flight cage. Bel defined it by showing us the implied interactivity of sensory experience involved in a rose. (She was being ironic, as well, since the rose in question was made of paper.)

Okay, I've been 'artistic' enough for one morning. I've got to go some mundane things.


Wow CC.

Post 4

minorvogonpoet


smiley - sorry, I suspected it was me being stupid.

Perhaps I'm envious, because my attempt to use Paint produced just a lot of wiggly black lines.


Wow CC.

Post 5

cactuscafe

Hullo dear ones

smiley - artist

Wiggly black lines?? Yes please. smiley - rofl. I love a wiggly black line. This morning I was drawing orange wiggly lines for no apparent reason. I once drew a lot of wiggly lines with a blue biro, and named the picture Biroesque Illuminations, which is perhaps the most pretentious thing I ever did, smiley - rofl, but it remains one of my fave pictures, even though it emigrated to the wastebin in 1983 to think about its life, and never made it out of there. smiley - rofl.

Your perceptions are illuminating and awesome. DG in fine poetic mode, smiley - rofl, and you guys are so encouraging. Permit me to travel with you, as I journey through life. smiley - rofl.

As to meaning, well ....


Oh, wait, back in a minute.




Wow CC.

Post 6

cactuscafe

Yes, erm, what does this picture depict??? smiley - rofl. I guess it is a sort of new page new stage, new way new day sort of thing. Very odd new day. smiley - rofl. The patterns are most peculiar. The trouble with me is that I never have any idea what I am on about. smiley - rofl.

I think that's the beauty of all this sharing bit for me, when it works. Peoples' responses become my poem. I love that. You know, if I write a story about a tree in Autumn, and someone thinks its a story about a packet of cheese and onion crisps, that makes me really happy. smiley - rofl.

Uh oh, idea for next work. smiley - rofl

Off to check out the rest of the Post, after supper of minty chickpea pie and greenbeans.

I will return. smiley - rofl.






Wow CC.

Post 7

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl Enjoy the veggie fare, there. And do come back. smiley - hug

And for MVP a smiley - hug. MVP, I cannot draw any kind of line freehand. I cannot draw a straight line with a ruler. I have minus ability in that direction. (Also very bad eyes.) What I do with that Paint program involves geometry.

Hint: Try the trapezoid function. You can draw all sorts of things with it, sans squiggle. Make it solid, and the program will fill it in.

When I first started doing Gheorgheniplex, Malabarista (who's a real artist) commented, 'Gee. I never realised how few lines and shapes it takes to draw a spaceship.' smiley - whistle This, you realise, is my only talent, besides layout. I figure out how few lines and shapes I need to say anything. smiley - winkeye


Wow CC.

Post 8

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Also, to anybody who's smiley - lurking:

I would really enjoy it if we had, say, a photograph...by Wednesday, so it could be in next week's issue of smiley - thepost...smiley - whistle

I know. smiley - sigh You'll all wait until the grownups are back in charge...


Wow CC.

Post 9

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

I vision asmiley - surferriding the wavessmiley - smiley

(he's hid under the crest)


Wow CC.

Post 10

cactuscafe

smiley - surfer

A surfer smiley - surfer yayhey Prof my friend, of course, the ripcurl wave, riding the wave, just under the wave, concealed from the world, yet part of the world, with golden fins. Golden fins? Ah yes.

I love this interactive visionsharing.

Thankyou.

smiley - kiss kiss

I'm working on a funny thing right now. smiley - rofl.

I have this magazine that I have been reading for weeks, that features 501 lost songs, and there are little write ups about all of them. It is a special magazine, because it doesn't tear apart the songs, or the creators, even though they are lost, and a bit obscure. smiley - rofl. It just describes the effect that the songs have on the listener.

So I am daydreaming about this song, or maybe its a story, called White Lilies Part Seven, (which I haven't written yet), and then I am writing imaginary write-ups about it. smiley - rofl. Ah well. smiley - rofl Never mind.



White Lilies Part Seven (and where it takes people)











<Its ....

erm, s'cuse me, I hear you protest. Is this relevant to anything at all? erm... yes yes!

smiley - rofl



Wow CC.

Post 11

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - biggrin I love the idea of writing imaginary reviews.

It's like Borges' book reviews of books that don't exist.


Wow CC.

Post 12

minorvogonpoet



"White Lilies Part Seven" Yes, I can see that as a story about a beautiful woman who keeps turning up at funerals. Does she have a obsession with white lilies, or funerals? Is she a guardian smiley - angel, or a serial muderer?

"Standing on a windswept platform". I've been there, done that, used to have the season ticket. And I've written a poem -A24203233.

As for "travelling through a labyrinth of broken lights", what a symbol of life!


Wow CC.

Post 13

cactuscafe

You guys are the ultimate vision traders. I love it, really I do. It brings me great delight, and thankyou.

Borges. Ah yes, Google had a Borges logo the other day, to celebrate his life, and I thought it was time I read his work. Thought I would start with The Garden of Forking Paths. You think that's a good place to start?

Firstly though, at last now to read The Post. Finally got the time, and then have to make A24203233 go blue, ah, there we are, thankyou very much, ye computer. Off to read also, when finished typing this post. haha. I love that. I might say that tomorrow, to someone. I am on a train tomorrow. Uh oh. smiley - rofl.

Be good I think. Writing reviews of obscure lost songs, or stories, or photos smiley - rofl. I think White Lilies Part 7 might have to get re-written . smiley - rofl. More light, less doomy, like flocks of starlings flying out of swirling synth textures,and wasps flying out of fallen cider apples, in watercolour orchards. smiley - rofl These reviews could go anywhere! and could lead to obscure stories. Or songs. Lost songs, that get found, and then lost again. smiley - rofl.


Wow CC.

Post 14

cactuscafe

PS I just read Waiting for Trains, mvp. Read it aloud, in fact. It is so atmospheric, and with the repetition of images, I just got a bit transported there for a minute, how weird, like a flashback, to another life, a life I knew well, and now I might dream about the Hastings train. I have a lot of dreams about the Hastings train. I might have to write a lost song review.smiley - rofl Or even a lost song. smiley - rofl.

, . Thankyou, special poet.


Wow CC.

Post 15

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

post 11smiley - winkeyeDmitri, just try remembering words that don't exist, that does blow a fusesmiley - laughI know!


Wow CC.

Post 16

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl You WOULD, Prof. You make up new words with great ease.


Wow CC.

Post 17

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

- knowing he's right


smiley - laugh


Key: Complain about this post