A Conversation for Oxford Meet 2002

Very

Post 21

Pastey

The last train is 22:57, and the last bus is around 23.30 (I think)

smiley - rose


Very

Post 22

PaulBateman

The trains to Didcot aren't much better either. But getting to Oxford after that time isn't too bad.smiley - erm


Very

Post 23

Toccata

smiley - geek Travelodge about £45 per night, for as many folk that you can fit in!


Very

Post 24

PaulBateman

Sounds cozie smiley - winkeye


Very

Post 25

Pastey

You don't know where the Travelodge issmiley - laugh

smiley - rose


Very

Post 26

Munchkin

Oxford?


Very

Post 27

Pastey

Blackbird Leyes, opposite the BMW factory.

Nice.

smiley - rose


Very

Post 28

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

Oooh, I live Oxford way (going to uni there, an' all) so I'll probably come along.

Pubs... well the Radcliffe Arms is good and does food. The Turf is interesting, being (literally) in the middle of a bunch of houses and next to a high (9 foot) wall of a college.. you have to walk down narrow alleys to get to it... but it's usually packed. Most pubs will be populated by students at that time of year. But don't ask me about pubs - I don't drink.

Ændr


Very

Post 29

Tinkerbell *tumbleweed*

*thinks about the food at the Radcliffe arms*
Yup I can definitely recommend that!!! Especially the desserts and it's really cheap too! Oooh and a good place is the funness of G&D's open til late icecream parlour smiley - bigeyes Oooh and The Swans good and theres the usual Hogsheads and things., be great to see you there Ænder smiley - biggrin

Munchkin you have to come! 22:57 is nearly pub closing time and theres plenty of pubs near the station which we can go to! Also depending on where you're going, anywhere on route between ther and Southampton we might be able to drive you home?


Very

Post 30

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

Yes, G&D's is good - I lunched there today. Bit expensive though. There's a second one open now, on St Aldates. 'bab vans are also traditional places to visit.

re the RA, the Italics might be able to book the garden room for us if there are enough of us going.

hmmm, I wonder if I will have enough time to bake for this one. I baked cakes for the last Meet I went to - which was a fair while ago (was it the first one?)


Very

Post 31

Uncle Heavy [sic]

you dont drink? why?


Very

Post 32

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

I don't want to.


Very

Post 33

Tinkerbell *tumbleweed*

*suspects Uncle Heavy finds the concept of not drinking a difficult one to contemplate smiley - winkeye *

So will you come then? I already added you to the list but I figured I ought to check first smiley - winkeye


Very

Post 34

a girl called Ben

Sign me up. I will need to know where and when of course, and can't contribute much in the way of suggestions.

Ben


Very

Post 35

PaulBateman

Can I recommend the Bookbinders (not far from the Radcliffe Arms if I remember correctly) as well as the Kings Arms, the Lamb and Flag, the Jude and the Royal Oak? The Butcher's Arms in Headington is worth going to also but it's not particularly close to the city centre.smiley - erm


Very

Post 36

Uncle Heavy [sic]

*dont* *want* *to*



Very

Post 37

Menza

I think I can come. smiley - smiley

*starts proding Uncle Heavy with a stick*


Very

Post 38

Paul Prefect (It's been 2 years now... wow... 8-))

Hmm... fireworks, possible laser questing, pubs...

Sign me up... smiley - ok

And sign Eomando up as well, I can say she's more likely to come along than not... smiley - bigeyes


Very

Post 39

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

I'll check my diary - might be playing....



Bassman smiley - cool


Very

Post 40

Pastey

Both the Bookbinders and the Radcliffe, whilst being very good pubs, aren't really the easiest to find if you don't know where they are or have a handy map. They're also a bit of a hike (spot the lazy person).
The Turf, apart from being a little confusing to find) is always busy, and finding a spot to park a fair few bums could be difficult, unless we all fancy sitting out in the garden all evening in November .
The Kings Arms is nice, especially seeing as they go out of their way to make sure they stock the entire Youngs range, albeit in bottles. Nice large tables too, and if you get in there earlyish you can generally grab a whole table to yourself.
The Hobgoblin is easy to find but is always busy, really hard to get anywhere to sit down. Shame really as the beer and staff are really good.
Slightly out of town, near the station are the Kyte and the White House. Both nice pubs, but completely different. The Whitehouse is almost a hotel lounge eaterie where as the Kyte is a spit and sawdust get yer beer down ya drinking hole. In between there are loads more.
New(ish) and well worth checking out prior to the event is the Far From The Madding Crowd, nice and open plan with good beer. Never been in there of an evening (yet) but not bad when I've been in there in the day. Right next to the Laser Quest place aswell, but down a back street and not easy to find if you don't know the area.
Same with G&Ds really, if you don't know where you're going it's not easy to find. This is one of the strange and annoying things about Oxford, the town is mostly split into two distinct parts, Town&Gown. The students know one area and the tourists know another. Oh, and the residents drink in the back streets.

smiley - rose


Key: Complain about this post